Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDemon
A Drug AgainstWar

Loc: j00/2 m07h3/2
House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban
    #1972702 - 10/02/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban
1 hour, 9 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The House voted Thursday to ban a type of abortion that for years has been at the center of the debate over a woman's reproductive rights. President Bush (news - web sites) has promised to sign the bill into law and opponents say they will immediately challenge it in court.

AFP
Slideshow: Abortion Issues

The bill banning what opponents call partial-birth abortion, which passed 281-142, could be taken up by the Senate as early as Friday. Bush's signature would make it the first federal law since Roe v. Wade (news - web sites) in 1973 to restrict a specific abortion procedure.

The drive to stop partial-birth abortion "will finally become law and the performance of this barbaric procedure will finally come to an end," said House Judiciary Committee (news - web sites) Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis.

Critics said the partial-birth ban, twice vetoed by President Clinton (news - web sites), was part of a larger agenda to undermine the 1973 Supreme Court decision supporting a woman's right to end a pregnancy. It's "an attempt to whittle away at a woman's constitutional right to her privacy and control of her body," said Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-N.Y.

Some 30 states have varying versions of partial-birth bans, and opponents have successfully challenged most of those laws. Most significantly, in 2000 the Supreme Court, on a 5-4 vote, ruled that a Nebraska law was unconstitutional because it did not have an exception for the health of the mother and was so vague as to leave unclear what medical practices were being prohibited.

Clinton, in his two vetoes, also argued that there must be a health exception.

Supporters of the ban, led in the House by Rep. Steve Chabot (news, bio, voting record), R-Ohio, said the House-Senate compromise bill being considered has tightened the definition of the banned procedure and contains findings to prove that the practice is never needed to protect a woman's health.

Partial birth is not a medically accepted term, but as defined by the bill it is a procedure in which the fetus is killed after the entire fetal head is outside the body of the mother or, in the case of breech presentation, "any part of the fetal trunk past the navel is outside the body of the mother." Doctors who perform the procedure would be subject to up to two years in prison.

There's disagreement about how often such abortions are performed. Defenders say it is sometimes the safest way to protect the health and future fertility of the mother when an abortion is found to be necessary during the second and third trimester of a pregnancy.

Both sides agree that the symbolic importance of the ban would be enormous. Anti-abortion groups say it would give momentum to other limitations on abortion, while abortion rights groups say the ultimate goal is to erode support for that 1973 decision on abortion rights, known as Roe v. Wade.

--------------------
"Sex is like a gun.. you aim, you shoot, you run" - Aerosmith

Come visit SacredShrooms.org!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: Demon]
    #1972771 - 10/02/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Critics said the partial-birth ban, twice vetoed by President Clinton (news - web sites), was part of a larger agenda to undermine the 1973 Supreme Court decision supporting a woman's right to end a pregnancy. It's "an attempt to whittle away at a woman's constitutional right to her privacy and control of her body," said Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-N.Y.

slippery slope bullshit. partial birth abortions are fucked up.

Partial birth is not a medically accepted term, but as defined by the bill it is a procedure in which the fetus is killed after the entire fetal head is outside the body of the mother or, in the case of breech presentation, "any part of the fetal trunk past the navel is outside the body of the mother."

:nonono:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: ]
    #1972915 - 10/02/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I actually have to agree here. I'm pro-choice for the most part, but partial-birth abortions should ONLY be performed if it can save the mother's life.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: silversoul7]
    #1972958 - 10/02/03 01:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

when it comes to abortion in general, I think that women have choice, its not my body, but at the same time.........

Women that are just WHORES(paid or just a SLUT) shouldnt be able to just get a bunch of these and have other people pay for her SLUT behavior , PLUS the suffering of the fetus!

as for partail birth abortions

I CANT EVEN BELIVE THIS WAS A BILL!!!!!!!

sounds about as SCIENTIFIC and HUMANE as hitting a fish in the head after pulling it out of the water

excuse me ....I have to go puke now

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: silversoul7]
    #1972960 - 10/02/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

partial-birth abortions should ONLY be performed if it can save the mother's life.

Agreed. The only other reason that partial birth abortions were legal before this bill is if genetic abnormalities were present that called into question the survival of the fetus.. I dont know the law in every state and I do know there were loopholes that should be cleared up. But again, partial abortions werent legal for the average person that was just like... ooops, I fucked up. Everyone seems to have this misconception and it just boggles my mind.

Abortion falls next.

Personally, after being on both sides of this issue as a support, this should be a woman, her husband or the father of the child and a doctor's choice and discression. Not some fucked up male aristocratic government officials.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1972985 - 10/02/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I should not have to pay for a SLUT though, and neither should a fetus

like I said I am okey with abortion, to a point, it cant be free and unlimited

that sends a message that is ok to act like a WHORE and have someone else clean up after you(so to speak, hehe)

Rape, is a case where I belive abortion should happen, and if a woman is not ready for a child FINE
but sluts have to be cut off at some point

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1973018 - 10/02/03 02:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i think it should go without saying that if you want an abortion you have to pay for it yourself.

... and this hating on certain women for their sexual practices ain't cool.

Invisiblewingnutx

#1973028 - 10/02/03 02:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

paying for anything one's self does not go without saying around here.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: wingnutx]
    #1973072 - 10/02/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

" and this hating on certain women for their sexual practices ain't cool."

if a woman want to have lots of sex
fine

just dont be stupid about it and waste money and resources on a child you can not care for

I said "sluts nee to be cut off at some point"
or at least attend a class on safe sex

you cant just keep having abortions forever, eevn the female body cant take it

(didnt I see something in the pub thread about you being a vegan?)
do you mind mass killings of animals but not human babys?????

I am COOL with abortion, and its NEVER my CHOICE, but the idea of "as many as you want"
bugs me

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1973073 - 10/02/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Whoa.... hold on a minute.

You aren't advocating personal responsibility are you?

*GASP* YOU HIDEOUS BASTARD!

:lol:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1973083 - 10/02/03 02:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

why would I not!!!!!!

does that suprise you??
I guess it might if you think I am liberal

I am neither left nor right

I am the grounded CENTER

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1973100 - 10/02/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Get a clue happy. See next to the subject line in each post? There is someting along the lines of re:mushmaster?

That, now hold on to your hat, indicates the actual person the response was directed to. A closer look will reveal to you that my previous post was, hold on to your hat again, not directed to you, but was in fact directed to someone else.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#1973101 - 10/02/03 02:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i have no problem with promiscuous but responsible sex. typically when we say words like "whore" and "slut" were aren't talking about irresponsible sex, but merely promiscuous sex.

if people are taking the proper precautions against pregnancy, there's no reason to label them with such derogetories, no matter what their sex life otherwise entails.

abortion during the first trimester is the only time i've got few qualms about it.

second trimester should be restricted, and third trimester should be a no except if the mother is endangered.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1973113 - 10/02/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ok
FINE

and by the way, I bet I have more respect for women then most

Women that have to much sex shouldNT charge eveyone else for their "promiscuous sex"

edited !( I have to get back to my grain jars!)

--------------------

Edited by Psilocybeingzz (10/02/03 02:34 PM)

Anonymous

#1973117 - 10/02/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

what?

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1973119 - 10/02/03 02:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Should the baby be given a choice?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1973130 - 10/02/03 02:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

and by the way, I bet I have more respect for women then most

Yeah.... sounds like it.

:lol:

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1973138 - 10/02/03 02:36 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i love it when people complain about pro-life gov't officials because they're older white men. hello! so are most government officials... the argument totally ignores the fact that the people who voted some of them in, many of whom may be women, are pro-life.

it's just attacking superficialities, but that's all some are good at doing...

Invisiblewingnutx

#1973144 - 10/02/03 02:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Are you using the quick reply feature? One way or another you keep replying to the wrong people. What flavor of koolaid was that?

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: House Passes Partial-Birth Abortion Ban [Re: wingnutx]
    #1973152 - 10/02/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Bleary Leary"

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies