Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Moral Myopia
    #1972838 - 10/02/03 03:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Who is surprised by this?

Moral myopia

By Arnold Beichman

I'll tell you what is disgusting and disgraceful: The fact that all those African leaders, especially Nelson Mandela, who are so busy moralizing about America's faults and Europe's faults and yet cannot find a moment in which to repudiate the dictatorship of Robert Mugabe over the starving, dying people of Zimbabwe.
And I'll tell you what else is disgusting and disgraceful. Why isn't the so-called Court of Criminal Justice or some busybody prosecutor in Spain or somewhere indicting Mr. Mugabe for his crimes? And where is the U.N. Human Rights Commission, always so preoccupied with human rights in the Gaza?
The most shameful behavior is that of Nelson Mandela and his successor, South Africa President Thabo Mbeki who, ignoring Mr. Mugabe's atrocities, has appealed to the West to drop its sanctions against the Mugabe regime. And most recently, the Southern African Development Community (SADC) gave Mr. Mugabe ? would you believe? ? a standing ovation.
Of all people, they and especially Mr. Mandela himself, who once aroused the world's conscience about the infamy of apartheid, sit by and legitimize the rule of one of the worst dictators since Pol Pot, Mao Tse-tung, Josef Stalin and Adolf Hitler.
Exaggerated? Here is the detailed indictment by a Canadian member of Parliament, Dr. Keith Martin, the conservative Alliance Party expert on Africa:
c In two years, between 1983 and 1985, Mr. Mugabe ordered the killing of more than 15,000 people of the Matabele tribe. Africa, let alone the international community, ignored this savagery
c The people of Zimbabwe, except for the thugs who bodyguard Mr. Mugabe, are starving.
c He ignores the AIDS pandemic that afflicts a quarter of the country's 12 million people.
c He has created the "Green Bombers," a youth militia who hound and murder his opponents.
c Children as young as 11 are forced to join his militia.
? Mr. Mugabe has destroyed an independent judiciary and his cronies are now judges.
c He rigged the last presidential election by using state-sponsored violence and intimidation.
c He has used his thugs to beat up journalists and his police and military to shut down newspapers and thus has destroyed freedom of speech.
? He has destroyed Zimbabwe's agriculture that once employed three-quarters of its labor force and supplied almost 40 percent of its exports.
Mr. Mugabe has taken a once relatively prosperous country, where most people had jobs, ate three meals a day, enjoyed some amenities ? where there were decent relations between farmers, many of them white, and their employees ? and turned this potentially rich country into a wasteland. And Nelson Mandela and President Mbeki, who benefited mightily from arousing white guilt in the West, today protect a man whose actions are as bad if not worse because this is the 21st century, as anything that happened in the days of apartheid.
Zimbabwe is just another episode in the sad and tragic story of postcolonial Africa. Think of what has happened in Burundi, in Liberia, in Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, in the Congo Republic, in Nigeria and the war in Biafra, in Ghana, site of the first African dictatorship under Kwame Nkrumah; the second African dictatorship under Sekou Toure in Guinea; of Idi Amin and Milton Obote in Uganda; the murderous Dergue in Ethiopia; the 30-year civil war in Sudan; the cannibal Emperor Bokassa of the once Central African Republic. How reminiscent of the poem of William Blake:
The hand of Vengeance sought the bed
To which the purple tyrant fled;
The iron hand crush'd the tyrant's head,
And became a tyrant in his stead.
And now we have the tyranny of Robert Mugabe and there is a great silence among Africa's conscience idols such as Nelson Mandela and Thabo Mbeki. They and their cohorts who fought so hard for so long for freedom for the people of South Africa, who endured such trials and tribulations for decades and who finally achieved victory ? how can they lead Africa in a guilty stillness?
Nelson Mandela, President Mbeki, have you no shame?

Arnold Beichman, a Hoover Institution research fellow, is a columnist for The Washington Times.

Moral Myopia

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Moral Myopia [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1972944 - 10/02/03 03:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree , while GAZA is very important , why are we turning away from
africa????

maybe because bush never said he would make africa a free trade zone by 2010,the mid east though is a different story

and what about Burma(myanmar, cause the dictators , the junta, wanted a name change , maybe because of to mush bad press for pepsi and IBM etc the operates there)

pepsi left when it was still called burma, I wonder if they cm back after the name change ???

and Italy being FASCIST and the fact a canadain man was beaten in Saudi arabia for far to long while MY GOVERNMENT(spineless money hungry pussies) let it happen , and ASKED nicely for him back

after his release they said that they wanted him out and didnt want him hurt anymore , so they were playing soft etc

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP

just tell the those Saudi princes (that should be shot between the eyes anyway!!!!) that they have a canadian citizen when they shouldnt , the first thing we will do is stop trade and presure other countries to do the same

the sad thing is , in most cases that wouldnt happen

money is money
having a back bone when dealing with these BACKWARDS countries COSTS money

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1973057 - 10/02/03 04:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Been smoking crack?

The article isn't about Bush. It's about those who, like many here, focus on the US while ignoring other problems.

Perhaps you'd care to comment on the focus of the article?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1973105 - 10/02/03 04:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

so I talked about something a little of tangent
SO WHAT!
gee you musty have it out for me today

have you been smoking crack????

and by the way, the US supports terror ALL AROUND the world

and MYANMAR is a HUGE FAVORITE of us corporations

been smoking crack????/
I havent , with all thi fine BC cannabis and a fairly free society to smoke it in, why would I

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1973118 - 10/02/03 04:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gee you musty have it out for me today

Nope. You just seem more irrational up than usual today.

Crack was a natural assumption since when I was freebasing I often seemed irrational.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1973124 - 10/02/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i think perhaps the BC bud growers they've been getting their techniques down a little too well.  :wink:

maybe they can share some of their secrets with the canadian gov't pot growers.. i've heard they could use a little help.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1973125 - 10/02/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

whatever
hahahaha

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1973163 - 10/02/03 04:44 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

When can we expect to see Operation Zimbabwe freedom? No time soon I would imagine.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: GazzBut]
    #1973171 - 10/02/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

No comment on the article?

Or was your post just meant for another chance to give the US a jab?

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: GazzBut]
    #1973175 - 10/02/03 04:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I remember seeing something year ago during the first gulf war

it was a little bit of text from the US government about HATI and IRAQ and had a picture of oil and sugar and said

HATI, main export sugar:"we dont plan to get involved in the internal disputes in hati"

Iraq: main export OIL: .......I think you know how the rest goes

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
    #1973180 - 10/02/03 04:50 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

:"we dont plan to get involved in the internal disputes in hati"

You forget the US invasion of Haiti a few years ago?

A friend of mine HALOed in and took the capital building with a specops team. Took a rifle slug in his back (yay for trauma plates) on his birthday in the US operation to hand the government back over to whatshisface.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1973192 - 10/02/03 04:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The article isn't about Bush. It's about those who, like many here, focus on the US while ignoring other problems.

actually it's an article telling leaders in Africa to look closely at their own continent and the actions of Robert Mugabe instead of criticizing Europe or America. a fair request.

but living here in America, you'll excuse me if I have more to say about the actions of Bush than what Mr. Mugabe is doing over there in Africa. not that I don't care about them. it's just that president Bush's actions have a far greater impact on my life and on the world. so I will continue to scrutinize his actions. don't mistake this for "moral myopia". now, if I was fretting over the crimes of Mugabe while ignoring what's happening here in America, then I'd be guilty of the same moral myopia that Nelsen Mandela is being accused of in the article, wouldn't I?

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: wingnutx]
    #1973205 - 10/02/03 04:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

you are correct sir

but seriuosly YA your right

"No comment on the article?

Or was your post just meant for another chance to give the US a jab?"

NO in fact I loved what the US was, and am sickened at what its become, you could call me a patriot(canadian) that doesnt like the fact 4 out of 5 of the intolerable acts that caused the revolution were repeated!

or that Corporations after the Civil WAR(when alot of judges were getting bribes anyway) got PERSONHOOD status, which IMO, lead to far worse problems down the road

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1973215 - 10/02/03 05:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

now, if I was fretting over the crimes of Mugabe while ignoring what's happening here in America, then I'd be guilty of the same moral myopia that Nelsen Mandela is being accused of in the article, wouldn't I?

Not if you spoke out against both.

And I repeat.... It's about those who, like many here, focus on the US while ignoring other problems.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1973237 - 10/02/03 05:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

here: go here

4 out of 5 of the intolerable acts that caused the revolution were repeated!

i was wondering when you were going to chime in with your slogan.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1973249 - 10/02/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

no one is "ignoring" problems elsewhere.
we're just focusing on problems that affect us the most, issues that are close to home. as far as I know, none of the regulars here are posting from Africa.
it makes sense for leaders in Africa to care about what's happening there, and it makes sense for those who live here in America to care about what's happening here.

I agree with what the article is saying, the guy isn't telling everyone to focus on the problems in Africa, he's telling African leaders to focus on their own problems, instead of bashing America and Europe. makes perfect sense to me.

I see it as a variation of the old saying about making sure that your own house is in order... it works both ways.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1973270 - 10/02/03 05:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

we're just focusing on problems that affect us the most

You may be. Others here generally stick to bashing the US while for the most part ignoring problems closer to home.

Quote:

I agree with what the article is saying, the guy isn't telling everyone to focus on the problems in Africa, he's telling African leaders to focus on their own problems, instead of bashing America and Europe.

Exactly.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1973305 - 10/02/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
I remember seeing something year ago during the first gulf war

it was a little bit of text from the US government about HATI and IRAQ and had a picture of oil and sugar and said

HATI, main export sugar:"we dont plan to get involved in the internal disputes in hati"

Iraq: main export OIL: .......I think you know how the rest goes

Oil, sugar, what's the difference? If we did invade Hati would you be screaming "No blood for sugar".

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
Re: Moral Myopia [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1973589 - 10/02/03 07:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Moral Myopia [Re: wingnutx]
    #1973601 - 10/02/03 07:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

no blood for money sounds better
and is more general
thanks

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion