Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Industrial hemp project shut down
    #1972490 - 10/02/03 12:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Oct/01/ln/ln31a.html

Posted on: Wednesday, October 1, 2003
Industrial hemp project shut down

By Gordon Y.K. Pang
Advertiser Capitol Bureau

The state's only industrial hemp research project shut down yesterday, with its operator blaming "bureaucratic runaround" from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration for its demise.

"You can bang your head on a rock for so long and eventually you want to stop banging your head on it, and today I stopped," said Dave West, manager of the Hawai'i Industrial Hemp Research Project.

Two DEA agents yesterday supervised the destruction of remaining seeds at the Wahiawa site, a requirement after West announced that the one-person operation was shutting down.

Briane Grey, DEA assistant special agent in charge, said that six pounds of hemp seeds and no plants were destroyed.

The privately financed project planted its first seeds in December 1999 with the hope of exploring the possibility of using industrial hemp as a cash crop for the state's struggling agricultural industry.

State Rep. Cynthia Thielen, R-50th (Kailua, Mokapu), who helped push through legislative approval that allowed the project to proceed, said, "The disappointing thing is we had hoped that industrial hemp would help Hawai'i's agricultural and small-business companies like it is in other nations where farmers are allowed to grow the crop."

Thielen noted that hemp products are being imported into the United States and Canada for the building of homes and other products.

West said that in the past two years, the DEA has stalled in granting the project an annual controlled substance license that is needed to bring in and export the seeds, which are defined by the DEA as schedule 1 controlled substances.

His last license expired in May 2003, and he said he has received no word on whether he has been granted a new one. The same thing happened a year ago, when he went 11 months without a valid license before being approved for one.

"For a few years now, we've been operating in this kind of administrative limbo," he said.

West said hemp research has been discouraged by the DEA since President Bush's election.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Re: Industrial hemp project shut down [Re: motaman]
    #1986795 - 10/07/03 02:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
I almost tried to get a license to grow hemp as a research project for my environmental studies program in high school.  I gave up once I found out that it's practically impossible to get one for hemp.  I do not like paying extra $$ to buy my hemp products from outside the US.  The only danger in hemp research is to the industries funding political fuzznuts like George W..  Please vote for someone smarter than an eggplant in 2004. :lol: 

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Industrial hemp project shut down [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #1989312 - 10/08/03 06:48 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Great to know our goverment is spending time & money destroying hemp. Who knows, someone might smoke pounds of it and get a little buzz (and a terriable headache)! We can't have that! Crisis avoided.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Hemp

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service