Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: psyconaught]
    #19711163 - 03/17/14 11:31 PM (10 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
Quote:

Gotta love people that listen to Fox News!

and the fucking administration :facepalm:

Touché

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: TheMaster]
    #19711214 - 03/17/14 11:44 PM (10 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

TheMaster said:
There was no option to vote "against all" and therefore maintain the status quo.
:shrug:

It's pretty well known that Crimea is a VERY Russian republic.  The status quo question would have definitely come in dead last.  You can argue it should have been included for shits and giggles, but I think the point of the referendum was to show that there is not a Russian 'take over'; the Crimean people want to join Russia.

Edit:  Even if those other 17% of the voters who didn't vote would have all voted 'status quo', and the 3% that voted independent changed their vote to 'status quo', that's only 20% in favor of status quo.  And that's a best case scenario.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (03/18/14 12:14 AM)

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #19711285 - 03/18/14 12:03 AM (10 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

TheMaster said:
There was no option to vote "against all" and therefore maintain the status quo.
:shrug:

It's pretty well known that Crimea is a VERY Russian republic.  The status quo question would have definitely come in dead last.  You can argue it should have been included for shits and giggles, but I think the point of the referendum was to show that there is not a Russian 'take over'; the Crimean people want to join Russia.

you and i don't agree on a lot but this we agree 100% on :billymaythumbup:

--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

InvisibleTheMaster
PATIENCE

Loc: Earth
Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: psyconaught]
    #19711800 - 03/18/14 05:18 AM (10 years, 13 days ago)

The reality of the situation is not lost on me. I realize that even if those in Crimea were given a third option the outcome would most likely have been the same. I'm not arguing if this is right or wrong, or what is best for the region.

My point is that a true direct democratic election would at least have a third option or opportunity to vote against the two that were proposed.

The choices given are indicative of ethnic (racist) "democracy" proctored by an authoritarian regime with a dash of pluralism.

Call it what you will, but when people call this democracy... I call bullshit.
:callingbullshit:

--------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Mahatma Gandhi

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
    #19712234 - 03/18/14 08:58 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Welp, Crimea is part of Russia now.

:blewmeanie:

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19712238 - 03/18/14 08:59 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

TheMaster said:

It's a hell of a lot closer to democracy that what the West is now offering, wouldn't you say?

Ignoring the current constitution, supporting a violent coup, ignoring the will of the Crimean people...  The US could care less about democracy.  It wants a strategic military base on Russia's border.  I wonder how the US would feel about Russia doing something similar near our borders?

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#19712302 - 03/18/14 09:23 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

TheMaster said:

It's a hell of a lot closer to democracy that what the West is now offering, wouldn't you say?

Ignoring the current constitution, supporting a violent coup, ignoring the will of the Crimean people...  The US could care less about democracy.  It wants a strategic military base on Russia's border.  I wonder how the US would feel about Russia doing something similar near our borders?

Well they tried decades ago with Cuba and we still don't even talk to them.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#19712340 - 03/18/14 09:35 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Lion said:
A huge number of eligible voters didn't vote in the Crimea referendum because they didn't want to give it any undeserved legitimacy.  It was an unconstitutional referendum brought about by the increased presence of a hostile foreign military.

Instead of using peace and democracy (and the constitution) to elect someone into office, there was a violent coup d'état for which the US immediately showed its unrelenting support.  The new leadership quickly disbanded the constitutional court and the people of Crimea asked Russia for protection.  Then they overwhelmingly (97%) voted to join Russia.  And you try to claim that this referendum was unconstitutional???

Edit:  By the way, voter turnout was 83.1%.  To say "A huge number of eligible voters didn't vote" means you're watching Fox News.

83.1% is the number given by election officials and Russian news agencies.  There have been all sorts of reports of fraud.  E.g.: http://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/news/2014/03/17/7019270/ ; (Says that voter turnout in Sevastopol was reported by election officials as ~90,000 more than the population of Sevastopol).  It's naive to think that this election was in any way fair, normal, or legal.

As for the coup: Last time I checked, people have the right to overthrow a tyrannical government.  Were you against the uprisings in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and Syria as well?  Where is the evidence for the claim in the article you provided that the U.S. was responsible for the coup?  The Ukrainian people were responsible.  And why would Crimeans need to call on Russia for help?  They are a majority in their area, and ethnic Russians live all over Ukraine.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #19712530 - 03/18/14 10:28 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

Now things get interesting.  The only reason the US was interested in Ukraine was to kick the Russian military off the Crimean peninsula, and install a Western friendly one there.  It'll be interesting to see how things unfold.

One thing is certain - we could care less about the will of the Crimean people and democracy.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#19712552 - 03/18/14 10:35 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
One thing is certain - we could care less about the will of the Crimean people and democracy.

With that I agree.  Although I don't think there really is a "Crimean" people; rather, there are ethnic Russians and other ethnic groups who live in Crimea, which is a part of the sovereign nation of Ukraine.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: sweeper54]
    #19712554 - 03/18/14 10:36 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

sweeper54 said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Care to elaborate on my position? You know what my opinion is better than I, apparently.

What, in your opinion, should Obama do about Ukraine (besides the exact antithesis of his strategy to date?)

Massive global sanctions.  Immediately install the missile shields in Eastern Europe.

To every complex problem there is a simple solution THAT DOESN'T FUCKING WORK AND MAKES THE PERSON WHO CAME UP WITH IT LOOK LIKE A FOOL.

As far as I can tell the biggest fool so far is Obama.  Remember when he and SloJo ridiculed Romney and Palin for saying that Russia was our greatest geopolitical foe?  I do.  Good times, right komrade? You could put yourself in the running with more posts like this.
Quote:

Quote:

Massive global sanctions

Good one: The US and Europe impose sanctions and Russia cuts off Europe's fuel.

That's Europe's problem. 
Quote:

Missile Shields are a joke

Then why was Putin so adamant that they not be deployed?  Maybe he knows more about it than you.
Quote:

I KNOW let admit Ukraine into NATO. Theres another great one, then when Russia flexes its muscle we have to go to war with them.

Keep trying Zap

We already have a treaty that requires the US, UK and Russia to respect Ukraine's borders.  Treaties aint shit.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#19712563 - 03/18/14 10:38 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Lion said:
A huge number of eligible voters didn't vote in the Crimea referendum because they didn't want to give it any undeserved legitimacy.  It was an unconstitutional referendum brought about by the increased presence of a hostile foreign military.

Instead of using peace and democracy (and the constitution) to elect someone into office, there was a violent coup d'état for which the US immediately showed its unrelenting support.  The new leadership quickly disbanded the constitutional court and the people of Crimea asked Russia for protection.  Then they overwhelmingly (97%) voted to join Russia.  And you try to claim that this referendum was unconstitutional???

Edit:  By the way, voter turnout was 83.1%.  To say "A huge number of eligible voters didn't vote" means you're watching Fox News.

Not on the ballot, "Remain in the Ukraine". 

I believe the duly elected legislature of the Ukraine told him to get the fuck out as well.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #19712579 - 03/18/14 10:41 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

TheMaster said:

What a fucking joke.  Sham elections taken within two weeks of an armed invasion?  Will you ever spit out the commie cock?
Quote:

If you care so much about the supposed but unproven will of the Crimean people to join Russia where do you stand on the the well established will of the Chenyan people to leave it?

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: zappaisgod]
    #19712582 - 03/18/14 10:43 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
If you care so much about the supposed but unproven will of the Crimean people to join Russia where do you stand on the the well established will of the Chenyan people to leave it?

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#19712773 - 03/18/14 11:28 AM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

Now things get interesting.  The only reason the US was interested in Ukraine was to kick the Russian military off the Crimean peninsula, and install a Western friendly one there.  It'll be interesting to see how things unfold.

We'll keep talking, they'll keep ignoring, and then that'll be that. We'll have our friends in the North but Russia will retain the peninsula.

--------------------

Offlinesweeper54
Male User Gallery

#19713115 - 03/18/14 12:55 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

The ONLY way to deal with Putin is a united front WITH Europe. They have more direct dealings with Russia and can influence him more.

So we escalate things with Russia by putting in a Shield and then we find ourselves at war with Iran and neck deep in Syria. How many wars do you want to fight?

FUCK PALIN and Romney. Remember lil'bush "I looked into Putin's eyes and saw a friend."

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#19713244 - 03/18/14 01:25 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

How about the elections in Iraq during US occupation?  Why were they considered legit but in Crimea they aren't?

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

InvisibleCitizen X
Buzz Killinton
Other User Gallery

Loc: Djibouti
    #19713313 - 03/18/14 01:37 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

:woah:

--------------------

Rate me here

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#19713374 - 03/18/14 01:47 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

sweeper54 said:
The ONLY way to deal with Putin is a united front WITH Europe. They have more direct dealings with Russia and can influence him more.

They are in thrall to him.
Quote:

So we escalate things with Russia by putting in a Shield and then we find ourselves at war with Iran and neck deep in Syria. How many wars do you want to fight?

Yes.  The Eastern bloc countries were betrayed when we didn't because of some idiotic desire not to offend Putin.  Do you know what would have prevented this land grab?  If the Ukraine still had their nukes.  Fuck it.  Just build the shields.  It is time to not give a fuck what Putin wants in any area at all.
Quote:

FUCK PALIN and Romney. Remember lil'bush "I looked into Putin's eyes and saw a friend."

Yeah, I remember that.  It was stupid.  I thought it was stupid at the time.  When I looked at Putin I saw KGB.  But Romney and Palin were fucking dead on.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bama gonna Crimea river [Re: Shins]
    #19713391 - 03/18/14 01:50 PM (10 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Shins said:
How about the elections in Iraq during US occupation?  Why were they considered legit but in Crimea they aren't?

Because they were.  We had nothing to do with them nor did we give a shit who won.  They also weren't arranged two weeks after the invasion , had a real group of candidates and weren't rigged to exclude the most obvious option of remaining in the Ukraine.

What is it with you and the KGB thug?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order