Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineletsoulfly
Stranger
meditation? im confuzed haha
    #1967867 - 09/30/03 10:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

this might make me sound like and idiot but here goes... meditating is just consentrating on nothing? sitting in some hard to hold pose and trying to feel comfy? looking for somthing in your mind? how do i do this and why do i want to?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: letsoulfly]
    #1967886 - 09/30/03 10:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

if you can succed at not thinking one thought for a minute its a start. it takes practice though. im not telling you why you want to do it though, you can awnser that question for yourself, i dont know why your interested in it.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #1969599 - 10/01/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i find it easier to focus on one thought, than on nothing at all. i think that comes later. you still know everything thats going around, but you can concentrate on what you want. its really useful (like you want to jack off, but theres all these fuckin people around. you can concentrate on your dick and know that people are there, but not really act upon that), and it can help out in stressful situations. i like it to calm me down.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: entiformatie]
    #1969633 - 10/01/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> meditating is just consentrating on nothing?

One technique, yes. Less concentrating on nothing and more quieting the mind, but close enough.

> sitting in some hard to hold pose and trying to feel comfy?

The 'pose' is for several reasons. One, it is very balanced. Even after your muscles turn to jelly, you can still maintain the pose. Two, it is somewhat uncomfortable and keeps you from falling asleep.

> looking for somthing in your mind?

Nope, just sitting. Looking for something would indicate that your mind isn't empty or quiet.

> how do i do this
Start slowly, but form a habit by doing it every day for 10 or 20 minutes. Others will post urls and what not with info to help you here.

> why do i want to?

Donno, I'm not you. I do it for the peace of mind it brings me. I have been meditating for years now. I no longer get angry while other people explode. I no longer get stressed while other people have heart attacks. I no longer get sad while other people get depressed. I am in tune with my body and with nature which is all around me. Through meditation I have found peace and happiness. What more could one ask for?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1969659 - 10/01/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

There are many ways to meditate.
The basic idea is to train your mind to focus, or concentrate.
This is usually accomplished by focusing on one thing, such as your breathing, or gazing at a candle's flame.

The idea is to just relax.. breathe deep and rhythmically.. and just focus your mind. Thoughts will come into your head, and what you want to do is just observe them, like you are watching clouds pass you by. Many people seem to think that when they meditate, they should clear their minds completely, and not think anything at all. That's not the case.. because if you could do that.. you would have no need for meditation in the first place!

Be the observer.. just let your thoughts flow naturally..but don't interact with them. You will learn that your thoughts move in cycles..and by observing them you will be able to better understand how your mind works. So don't think that when thoughts enter your mind during meditation, you are doing something wrong.. meditation comes in many forms.. and if you are concentrating intently on something, then you are doing it right.

There is no need for exotic or uncomfortable positions, sit naturally and however makes you comfortable. At first just focus on your breathing, and take it from there.

But yes, the basic premise is to clear your mind of distracting thoughts.. so that you can focus your concentration with laser beam qualities. But don't try to supress distracting thoughts.. let them come through.. and watch them leave. Meditation is about calming the mind, spirit and body. It should never be hard, just relax and let it flow.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: Infrared]
    #1969673 - 10/01/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

if you can succed at not thinking one thought for a minute its a start.

I think the saying goes... if you can succeed at not letting a single thought enter your mind for a full minute.. then you have essentially mastered meditation!

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: Shroomism]
    #1969683 - 10/01/03 02:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> But don't try to supress distracting thoughts.. let them come through.. and watch them leave.

This is actually a very important point. Many beginners get upset when they notice stray thoughts enter their minds. Getting upset defeats the puropse of a quiet mind. Instead of thinking how poorly you are doing, or thinking any other such nonscense, let the thought leave on its own and simply go back to a quiet mind.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: Seuss]
    #1969697 - 10/01/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Exactly.. that is a critical point. Distracting thoughts WILL enter the mind of even the most experienced meditator. It is like a test of your own will. Will they distract you and make you obsess over them... or will you just observe them as they dissipate into the atmosphere? Just float on by...

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: Shroomism]
    #1972063 - 10/02/03 07:17 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I was taught that I should be thankful for experiencing difficulty with distracting thoughts when practicing meditation; being that it is only through such adversity that we sharpen our minds.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: Ped]
    #1972400 - 10/02/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
I was taught that I should be thankful for experiencing difficulty with distracting thoughts when practicing meditation; being that it is only through such adversity that we sharpen our minds. 

Exactly. The ego is also used to show what needs patching up, what needs to be done to further retire the ego to the old folk's home. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Anonymous

Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1972784 - 10/02/03 12:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

right on shroomism

OfflineGeeno
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: ]
    #1973807 - 10/02/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Alright so onetime I was sitting here doing some rythmic breathing. It was about 6 PM and I just felt like doing it...

BAM face right on the keyboard.

It took me about 5 minutes to learn how to make myself fall asleep instantly.

Offlineenergy_ball_within
All thatis....Our mind
Re: meditation? im confuzed haha [Re: Geeno]
    #2087121 - 11/09/03 06:55 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

thoughts come and go, but this is how it is. the thoughts enter like usual... dont dwell on them, but merely let them pass as quick as they came into your mind. meditation does take alot of practice and as long as youre willing to practice you will be rewarded.

meditation isnt about hard to hold posses. sit down and meditate in a pose which is natural to you and feels compfortable. just dont lay down thinking this is a meditative pose, cause all it does is make you think of sleep. remember the past and future have no relevance in meditation, cause its about the present. if you itch anywhere during meditation pass it off as a thought and it will soon fade out as fast as it faded in. if you cant stay 'present', well then try to help yourself by repeated in your mind what is being done presently(i am breathing in, i am breathing out, i am sitting, i am here).

breathing plays a big role in meditation, so practice smooth patterns of breathe.

this one is key. never go into meditation thinking you will find what you seek. never go into meditation seeking to find the truth. the truth is the void. no time, no past, no future. just live in the moment and things even unclear will begin to be clear.

its all inside you and you will be shown as long as you practice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale