Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinecotinMelody
Stranger
bail of hay indoors
    #1969388 - 10/01/03 02:27 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I was wondering about contamination using hay...i recently was working with hay indoors, and i heard from a friend (that cant confirm this info), that if hay is exposed indoors with poor ventilation, all other casings and shrooms growing in or near the room will get infected from the spores and dust in the bail of hay...because when i started taking hay off the top of the bail in preperation to pasturize , i noticed a whole lot of dust coming from the hay as i broke it up...my alergies started acting up too

Now I live in fear of contamination of my other bins of hay tek that are near the room where i was working with the hay...
Anyone know anything or care to discuss?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: bail of hay indoors [Re: cotinMelody]
    #1969564 - 10/01/03 03:19 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You should never take something with a large spore load that hasn't been sterilized into areas that are near your grow operation. Wipe everything down with a mild bleach solution and run an air filter. Time will tell if your fear is justified or not.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinecotinMelody
Stranger
    #1985607 - 10/07/03 01:34 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well, its been a week, and everyting is still contam free

InvisibleMushroom Herder
Mushroom Herder
Male

#11503529 - 11/22/09 12:59 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

It would seem that if the bail is dry and fresh that is should be free from contaminates because the grass has natural defenses for these attackers.  Eventually, if you water the bail, these natural attackers will germinate, spawn and take over.  They can still lie dormant in microscopic places on the plant fibers.

Farmers cut and store haybils when it is dry in order to preserve the dried crop.  They store it outdoors in barns and feed it to their livestock because it has more nutrients.  I would imagine hay makes a wonderful mdium for growing many types of mushrooms.

Straw is less nutritious, but will hold moisture longer.  Straw is typically used as a bedding for animals and not for a feed.

--------------------
"To know you have enough is to be rich.”

Lao Tzu

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: bail of hay indoors [Re: Mushroom Herder]
    #11509836 - 11/23/09 12:17 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

You should be fine, but rather work outside with hay.  Hay has a much higher spore load than straw and if it has soil mixed in will have a whole range of spores. 

But if your other grows are healthy and not under stress they will be fine.  If they are weak then you may find contams appearing.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #11509859 - 11/23/09 12:21 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Considering that hay is not generally suitable for mushroom cultivation, and the fact that the original poster asking the question has not logged in for over 4 years, we can let this thread die a moldy death, which is what happens most of the time anyway when people try to grow on hay rather than the much more suitable straw.
RR

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum