Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Hippie3]
    #1846215 - 08/24/03 06:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

using salt to fight trich is mentioned by stamets in the mushroom cultivator.. he also suggests baking soda, or a combination of the two, because these ingredients affect the ph of the substrate/casing around the contamination, stopping the outward growth of the contamination

--------------------
Be Here Now

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrMyco
Stranger
    #1849887 - 08/25/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I recently had a trich problem, and i was not aware of this technique at the time, but what i did is sterilize a regular kitchen knife in alcohol flame and simply cut out the trich, making sure the cut was deep enough to get rid of the entire spot, and continued with the process. I am happy to report that within a day, the cut out part regrew over with healthy mycelium.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: MrMyco]
    #1850666 - 08/26/03 05:27 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that's a good technique, better if you salt the wound created by cutting out the infection.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinepsilykat
Stranger
Loc: North Michigan, USA
    #1906220 - 09/11/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Baking Soda also works as well as salt. It does however bring up the ph level so its good to use sparingly. Trich has ruined almost every fruiting I've had so far, but I keep plugging along and hope to get this right soon:-)

OfflinecotinMelody
Stranger
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Hippie3] * 1
    #1969286 - 10/01/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i have found the same to be true, that trich is the most common that has grown on my 50/50 tek casings. it actually destroyed three of my bins when i went out of town for a couple days, came back and it was too late, bright green engulfing over half of each one...
i switched too hay tek and never had a prob with it untl couple months ago when my hay got a small dot of trich...next day it grew to about dime size...
I cut away the trich, then salted the scar...I found that by spraying water on it with the salt made the salt evenly coat the scar...has worked for me ever since with 100% results  :thumbup: :mushroom2: 

Offlinewackytron
journeyman

Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: cotinMelody]
    #2241563 - 01/14/04 12:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Would it be a good idea to dunk with a saline solution cause the green I've seen usually sets in not too long after a dunking.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: wackytron]
    #2241653 - 01/14/04 12:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

doubtful, but i confess i've never tried.
the idea behind dry salt is it only kills what it touches,
i'd be concerned that a saline solution strong enough to kill the green would likely also kill the mycellia it touched.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineexeeter
a very funguy
Loc: us
    #2548313 - 04/11/04 07:59 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

what exactly do i do when using the salt theory. just go in the kitchen grab a shaker and shake away?.....and then after that cobweb mold, do i leave the lids off for a few days of my casings? or what do i do someone please help i am loosing my crop...thanks..

--------------------
yep

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: exeeter]
    #2588216 - 04/21/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Someone uses salt by pouring it liberally on the area of the casing that is contaminated. Make sure to go an inch or so beyond the contam area. Then spray with water...pretty heavily....then the saline solution soaks into the casing and to the substrate...sure it will kill the mycelium it hits, but it will stop the spread of most contams...

For cobweb, you can hit it with hydrogen peroxide...that usually does the trick.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineMyztr0
Stranger
    #2670265 - 05/12/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

what about adding salt to the water when dunking??????? would this be effective as like a protective layer?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Myztr0]
    #2673120 - 05/13/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

a little salt is the dunk water
you might get away with
but i don't see it as very beneficial
too much salt will kill the mycellia

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineInside
Stranger

#2682221 - 05/15/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I caught some small patches of Trich on some straw i have colonising , it hadn't gotten a good hold , so i tried out the salt.

First , I sprayed the area infected with salt solution with a misting bottle , then cut away a good area around it , then poured on some dry salt to the wound left by the surgery  :smile:

left it for about 3 days , then cased. I checked out the straw before casing , it looked like the trich had been beaten , the myc looked good , didn't seem to upset by the salt solution , but only time will tell... casings are incubating right now , i'll know more on monday when they will be moved into fruiting , i'll check them out carefully and monitor during fruiting stage and post what info i find.

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Inside]
    #2809350 - 06/19/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Just found some trich and a big turkey pan size casing of just timothy hay, horse and cow dung. 50/25/25 ratio no top casing layer. I havent run into trich for a awhile I think It may have been because of not enough fanning altough it has always gotten it atleast twice aday. Anways it was fine this morning and when I came back from the beach today there where several spots that were working their way around the mycelium the largest maybe a little smaller then a silver dollar and two the size of quarters. I first put knives on the stove burner till red hot and burn off the green. Then I salted the wounds and sprayed the entire casing with a 50/50 peroxide water mix. I have no bleach around. I am more interested in mould resistant casing layers what are some good tips. I more on the kitty litter thing earlier mentioned in this thread would be great. I will post as to the results of the casing I hope I can save it because it's the only one I will have for a little while.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Loc: far away from home
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: Hippie3]
    #2911467 - 07/21/04 07:11 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie3,
Thanks for the posting. I'm battling trichoderma on my casings now and was searching the forum for a cure.
I'm giving the salt tech a try - will post results...
Thanks again

--------------------

There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!

Offlineasporeprint
Stranger
    #2912434 - 07/21/04 01:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

has anyone tryed just puting salt in some water an misting with that would that work as a bandade till the flush was over??

Offlinecyndyl
mycologist wannabe
Female

Loc: far away from home
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: cyndyl]
    #2925880 - 07/25/04 12:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie3,
It's been a few days and so far the tech is working. just thought I'd give this a vote of confidence.

--------------------

There's no such thing as a stupid question,
but they're the easiest to answer!

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: The use of salt in fighting trichoderma mold [Re: cyndyl]
    #3246624 - 10/12/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

bump

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: Sam1912]
    #3685505 - 01/26/05 08:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Shameless bump..

For anyone who has mold problems like my self...
Give this a try and see how it works

Gnostic

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3687913 - 01/27/05 09:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How about spraying with salt dissolved in water? or Saltwater and some h2o2? I might give that a shot if this green mold bears its ugly head again.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Offlinemontycantsin
Stranger
    #12092938 - 02/25/10 12:34 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

bump

Started my first bulk grow with four bucket o'fungi a la otto's tek. WBS 100% colonized with PE spawned to coir/verm/coffee/gyp (65/20/10/5)

Just a test run before throwing all my eggs into one giant monotub, (58qt sterlite,) which is colonizing quite nicely at this point, by the by. Make some serious mistakes and learn from them, you know? Best way to learn.

Anyhoo, of the four, I lost one pretty early on to trich, (couldn't help my curiosity peaking in to see how everything was coming along,) and I immediately threw the bucket out. In about a week, two more of my buckets succumbed to trich, but I decided to see if I couldn't fight the blasted mold instead of just giving up.

Found this salt technique and thought I was saved, and did some quick surgery and salted myself some wounds. While I was seeing if it worked, I found several cats talking about how trichoderma mycelium is white and the green that one sees in the mold sporulating. (I love how all of these mycology terms, firefox doesn't know. hehehe.)

From what I understood, by the time you see green, the mold has taken hold and you're fucked. And after about 30+ hours, I saw myself some sporulating trichoderma. Out of curiosity, I just through the buckets in my laundry room, which is no where near where any of my operations, and decided to come what may. (an important detail about this space is that it's where our house litter box is and we have three cats. The owner of the cats doesn't clean up after them very often. Not my cats, not my mess, not my problem. But the skinny is that this is far from the most sanitary of rooms. In fact, it's FUCKING DISGUSTING.)

Fast forward to about a month later, the last bucket I had has pinned and is making me cum in my pants a little every time I peak in to see its progress. Monotub is incubating, have myself a gallon of spawn and a PC full of pasteurized sub. Figure it's time to clean out my failed buckets and start another batch because, why the hell not? Has the spawn, sub, space, and time.

At some point, a roommate of mine stacked the buckets one in another, blocking any and all FAE for the bucket on the bottom. I pull the top one off, remove the shower cap and there is the notorious trich, thriving in the dank, darkness that was its home. Though, on the top bucket, there is an area of brown where I cut the trich out, but it's mostly white. Not really thinking about it, I dump the contents of both containers into a bag to throw it away.

Curiosity gets the best of me and I pick up what I feel is garbage to inspect it, maybe break it apart and see what I can't see when I notice mushrooms growing! Upon further inspection, there is a fuckton of side pinning, primordia, hyphal knots galore, and no green!

No misting, no fanning, natural indirect sunlight, and this shit STILL managed to survive. Now my baby's in my room and will get the delicious mist/fan treatment that it prolly craves so hard.

tl;dr

Had trich, cut out the green, salted the area, misted heavily, and threw the bucket into an extremely unsanitary room, (with great FAE,) and neglected it for a month and my PE cubensis kicked it's ass and is within a week of harvest.

Many thanks to OP, and good luck to all those battling the green death. Despite the naysayers out there, I am pretty convinced that the salting tek holds some water. One thing I don't think can be reiterated enough is that trich can not survive with FAE. It needs stale and moist environment. Starve it of that and hopefully, your mushies will stand a chance to grow.

Hope my experience helps.

edit: Pulled the sub out to harvest the mutant side blobWonder s, (hurray PE!) that were my first flush and on the top, which was resting on the bottom of the bucket as I flipped it to accommodate the side pinning, was thriving with trich. Still more pins and blobs growing. Wonder how much longer my mycelium will last.

In the end, I didn't kill trich, but I deterred it enough to get a small harvest. Somethin's better than nothing, no?

Edited by montycantsin (03/04/10 08:00 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate