Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecatalyst777
soul searcher
Male User Gallery

Worldwide Power Outages
    #1968239 - 10/01/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know if anyone posted about this yet. I didn't feel like looking, either.

Am I the only one that is highly suspicious about the huge power outages throughout the world??

When I saw the new england outage on the news, I was freaked out. When I saw the UK outage, I was more freaked out. Now, there was a huge outage in Italy.

These type of power failures are unprecidented, yet the news networks seem to be casually glossing over them. No one at my work says anything about them.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but something is fishy here. UN plan maybe? Perhaps it's a huge survailance opperation that requires the power to be shut down. Who knows?

I'm gonna do some internet searches and see what I come up with.

--------------------
Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.

Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: catalyst777]
    #1968252 - 10/01/03 12:13 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

http://search.cnn.com/cnn/redir?source=c...ut%2Findex.html
Quote:

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Italy is recovering from a nationwide power blackout which hit virtually the whole population in the dead of night, unleashing chaos, stalling lifts and stranding travelers.

Three deaths were unofficially attributed to the outage: a man killed in a traffic accident at an intersection where the lights had failed, and two elderly woman who fell down stairs in the dark in separate cases.

Almost all of the country's 57 million people were affected -- more than in last month's collapse in the U.S. Northeast and Canada. But coming on a weekend night its initial impact was less dramatic and caused less economic damage.

The problem was blamed on a series of failures on power lines from Switzerland and France in bad weather -- and a tree felled by the storms.

Mobile phone links were badly hit and some newspapers were unable to publish.

About 110 trains carrying more than 30,000 passengers were stranded when the power went out. Trains were held at the Swiss border for more than 3-1/2 hours before power returned.

First reports of the blackout came at about 3:30 a.m. local time (0130 GMT). Officials told CNN the entire country -- with the exception of the island of Sardinia -- lost power at some point.

Officials first blamed it on the breakdown of two big lines from France, which provides critical supplies and up to a fifth of Italy's needs at night, during severe storms.

But they later said lines from Switzerland and Austria also failed, apparently helping to trigger the blackout, which also briefly hit an adjacent Swiss region.

"It was an exceptional, extraordinary event," Andrea Bollino, chairman of Italy's grid operator GRTN, told Reuters.

France's grid operator RTE said the blackout started with four successive line failures between Switzerland and Italy.

Tree blamed
A spokesman for ATEL, one of Switzerland's biggest electricity providers, said a tree uprooted by strong winds knocked out a Swiss transmission line to Italy.

Officials reported eight hours later that electricity had been restored to 90 percent of the country.

Emergency services said the timing of the outage -- early in the morning with most of the country asleep -- meant there were few if any casualties.

Hospitals and other emergency centers were operating using reserve power generators.

The blackout did however bring an early end to an all-night street party in Rome where shops, restaurants, tourist sites and museums were supposed to stay open until daybreak.

Heavy rain had already brought a halt to several events in the "White Night" festival and the power outage left many partygoers stranded and wet with others stuck in the city's disabled subway system.

The Italian blackout comes on the heels of other major outages elsewhere in the world this year.

On August 14 a massive blackout swept the northern and eastern United States and parts of Canada, affecting 50 million people and shutting down more than 100 power plants. (Full story)

Two weeks later another outage hit London and parts of southeast England, disabling public transport at the height of the evening rush hour. (Full story)

Italy was also hit with partial power cuts in June, when people -- suffering in the scorching summer -- overloaded the system with air conditioners and other electricity-guzzling appliances. That was the first time in more than 20 years that the national operator of the electrical grid ordered power cuts.

http://search.cnn.com/cnn/redir?source=c...ci%2Findex.html
Quote:

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Italy is recovering from a power outage that cast 90 percent of the country into darkness and left four people dead. Officials say normal service should be restored Tuesday.

In the meantime, the government has called for an inquiry to look into the cause of Italy's largest outage since World War II. CNN'S Rome Bureau Chief Alessio Vinci said questions are already being asked as to who is to blame.

VINCI: "Before we go into why it happened, we must report that as a result four people died during the hours of darkness. All of them were elderly women, two of whom fell in the darkness of their apartments, while one accidentally set fire to her clothes after lighting candles to try and see by. Another died in a traffic accident -- the lights were not working.

"Now of course, the question of what happened and why is being asked. Preliminary investigation results point to a chain reaction of multiple failures, possibly beginning in Switzerland. A tree fell and tripped a power line supplying energy to Italy and including somehow Austria and France as well.

"Switzerland and France do acknowledge the supply was momentarily cut but they say it was restored shortly afterwards and blame the Italian side for failing to react quickly.

"For the Italian side, officials are saying the simultaneous failure of energy supplies from both France and Switzerland caused a chain reaction that only gave them four seconds, and in that amount of time of course, there was very little they could do.

"What is clear is that the blackout exposed Italy's necessity to import energy."

About 17 percent of Italy's needs come from abroad. Italy decided decades ago not to develop its own nuclear power -- but the irony is, the energy it imports from France is nuclear.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi had boasted the recent power outage in the U.S. Northeast and Canada could not happen in Italy.

Vinci said that when something like Sunday's outage happens, critics "always blame the man in charge, but it is not clear who is to blame" -- especially since privatization of the energy sector.

"Many, many people are involved," Vinci added. "It is not clear whether one side is more responsible."

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #1968327 - 10/01/03 12:31 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a bit suspicious too. Although I think it's a deteriorating infrastructure due to large companies putting profits ahead of everything. Just my 2 cents. :smile: 

OfflineGrinchWick
Stranger

#1968465 - 10/01/03 01:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

HomelandSecurityUS.com will explain everything you question about the blackouts......

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: GrinchWick]
    #1968595 - 10/01/03 02:16 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

blackouts = money!

wether caused on purpose or not!!!!
win win
for american power companies

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1969034 - 10/01/03 09:26 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

blackout = loss of revenue for EVERYONE.

THINK.

PLEASE.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1969047 - 10/01/03 09:32 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Bush is responsible for all of those blackouts..... :smirk:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1969535 - 10/01/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

remember the large east coast blackout we had in canada and america also.....hmm....strange.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

#1970799 - 10/01/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a list of all the major power outages since the eastern-North America one. Taken from another forum:

1. Australia
2. Britain
3. Canada
4. Denmark
5. Finland
6. Japan (before the major earthquake a few days ago)
7. Italy
8. New Zealand
9. Nova Scotia
10. West Malaysia
11. United States

Eleven major outages in a month and a half!?

Offlinecatalyst777
soul searcher
Male User Gallery

Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: ]
    #1971570 - 10/02/03 12:25 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

One easy way the government can control us. The current population has little in the way of survival skills. We are way to dependent on electricity and other non-necessities.

My mind constantly goes back to those Sting lyrics:

I never saw no miracle of science
That didn't go from a blessing to a curse
I never saw no military solution
That didn't always end up as something worse

--------------------
Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.

Aldous Huxley

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1971757 - 10/02/03 01:53 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Bush knew.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1971942 - 10/02/03 04:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

remember the large east coast blackout we had in canada and america also.....hmm....strange.

yeah i remember, i was in it you silly canoodian :grin:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

#1972647 - 10/02/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

well i've been thinking about it, and to me, the blackout clearly must have been caused by one or more of these 6 factors:

1. America
2. Capitalism
3. White men
4. Guns
5. Rich People
6. The Corporations

clearly.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1972700 - 10/02/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

all of the above

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#1972922 - 10/02/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

great mushmaster

anyway......what I want to know is when there is a blackout for days out of ONE month, dont people still pay their monthly bill???????

I KNOW that during the days when there was no power people were not charged as mush, but there is STILL a monthly fee

So add up all the little bits of cash people payed when they didnt have to and thats alot of money for no power

I am not writing this in stone,I think that COULD be the case

stop painting me one way, you DONT know how I think

however with the exception of white men and guns on your list , I could name a few problems with everything on your list

but it has nothing to do with power outages

"blackouts = money!

wether caused on purpose or not!!!!
win win
for american power companies "

and thats what I SAID

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1972940 - 10/02/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

7. Chupacabras
8. Freemasons
9. Zionists
10. Zionist Freemasons

Anonymous

#1972948 - 10/02/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

anyway......what I want to know is when there is a blackout for days out of ONE month, dont people still pay their monthly bill???????

you pay by the kilowatt. if you aren't using any electricity, your bill is $0, unless you've got a service fee or something.

I KNOW that during the days when there was no power people were not charged as mush, but there is STILL a monthly fee

during the days with no power people were not charged ANYTHING. there is still a monthly fee because POWER WAS NOT OUT ALL MONTH! whew...

stop painting me one way, you DONT know how I think

i sometimes wonder if you think at all.

power outages cause lost revenues for everyone. business cannot operate well at all without electricity. the only ones who may possibly benefit from power outages are those in the battery, flashlight, and generator market.

saying that power outages boost profits for the electric companies in particular is totally asinine. that's like saying that server errors boost profits for .com's or that cable malfunctions boost profits for TV networks and cable providers.

Invisiblewingnutx

#1972953 - 10/02/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Everywhere in the US that I have lived I pay for the amount I use.

In a blackout I don't use any, so I pay nothing for the duration. In the meantime, the power company spends a shitload of money in overtime getting the power turned back on.

Power Companies lose their ass during a blackout.

Cable companies are a whole nother story. That's a flat fee, unless you badger them into pro-rating you for time lost. You can do it, you just have to make the effort, which not many people do. I lost 1.5 days of cable last month and they kicked me back $20.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: Worldwide Power Outages [Re: wingnutx]
    #1972991 - 10/02/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I "thought" there was a monthly fee

I live in BC where the power has ALWAYS been nice a cheap, because we have a PUBLIC power company

like I said, I am a renter, I dont know

this is not writen in stone , so dont feel great like you proved something, you told be something I DIDNT KNOW

see I CAN SAY THAT

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1973008 - 10/02/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

No need to be defensive, you did not know and so I explained. I'm not rubbing anything in.

Admittedly not knowing, though, you might want to find something like that out before making bold proclaimations abotu the way things work.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder