Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
How many of you just case your spawn?
    #1964038 - 09/29/03 08:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hi there...
I was talking with a friend who only cases his spawn??  My other friend usually uses the spawn in conjunction with compost or straw???

So how many of you have simply cased you spawn (rye grain/millet) and had a good flush.

Lana

PS. I know this isn't terribly "advanced" but please forgive me if 1/2 of the mush cult forum doesn't know the difference between spawn and substrate :smile:

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: Lana]
    #1964231 - 09/29/03 09:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I was under the impression that most people that don't do cakes use cased grains.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #1964691 - 09/30/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Millet & Vermiculite "rez-effect" (pictures). in the GL&P forum.  This is pretty good outcome I'd say :smile:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1964956 - 09/30/03 01:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1965156 - 09/30/03 04:14 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

not me, i find that cased grain performs poorly. i always spawn my grains into pasteurised 90% straw/ 10% poo.

:kiss: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1965197 - 09/30/03 05:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Pretty much the deal here, If I'm working on a strain then I'll case the spawn. If I'm growing for yield then I spawn to 100% straw, then case with bulb fibre.

--------------------

OfflinemuleV
just a ass
Male User Gallery
Loc: Jamaica-- umm what day is...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: Jackal]
    #1965258 - 09/30/03 06:07 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Denpends on what Im doing. If Im doing a bulk fruiting then I use the spawn to nock a bulk substrate,uslay a compost. If im looking prints or need to work on a culture I use cased grain spawn , using a 75/25 mix of coir to sand as a case. Cased grain spawn typicly are smaller flush's and fruit size.

--------------------
Best Quotes;
Agar
One little needle prick with a loaded spore syringe.
And, the spores rule you forever.
:crazy2:

My reality check bounced, Whats your excuse?

Offlinegardentoad
gardener
Female
Loc: CA
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: mule]
    #1966334 - 09/30/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hi. I prefer to put my spawn into poo or straw, rather than casing it straightaway.

Offlinedcx
Mic of theRoundTable
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: gardentoad]
    #1966394 - 09/30/03 02:36 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

yah spawn in poo / straw and then case with 1/4" of coco coir after colonization is complete.

Anonymous

Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: dcx]
    #1966646 - 09/30/03 04:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

you better be using more than a quarter inch my friend...

i've never cased my spawn without first mixing it with a large amount of aged, pasteurized horse dung.

i've seen some pics of good results with grain when it's mixed with vermiculite to hold water. if i ever did it, that's probably what i'd use.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: ]
    #1966777 - 09/30/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wow!  I can't imagine people not being more entusiastic about casing grain, especially surprised to hear those that are having trouble with it.

Sure, if I wanted some "holyshit!" flushes, I'd go with bulk, but for most people, a couple of simple grain casings will provide plenty of ounces.

A gallon of birdseed, a seedling flat, a 1/2 inch of casing, a few flushes later 3-4 dry ounces.

BTW Lana, you can't by deffinition "just case your spawn?"  Spawn is something that will be used to innoculate another substrate.  If you are casing "spawn", you are in reality casing your substrate and there was likely never any spawn at all(unless you did a g2g transfer or something).  Sorry, couldn't resist the dig after your dis of those in the other forum that don't know the difference!
:wink:

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: mycofile]
    #1966782 - 09/30/03 04:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That's what I thought.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Anonymous

#1967177 - 09/30/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

A gallon of birdseed, a seedling flat, a 1/2 inch of casing, a few flushes later 3-4 dry ounces.

and for an investment of another 10 days time and 8 gallons of pasteurized poo\straw...  :thumbup:

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: ]
    #1967315 - 09/30/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Good conversation everyone :smile:

shirley knott: neat mix.

Mycofile: Did you major in philosophy?  Or are you a lawyer by trade? Because your rendition of spawn is an eye opener :smile:

If we take it one step further, at some "stage" mushrooms themselves can be substrate which in turn is spawn due to their connections with the substrate, since if "in reality casing your substrate and there was likely never any spawn"  that being the case your "spawn" would become the substrate??!?!?!  So which came first the spawn or the substrate???

The world may never know :frown:

/me walks aways clucking like a chicken

Lana 

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinesea_of_weed
Devil without acause
Loc: Planet Earth
    #1967610 - 09/30/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Lana said:
Good conversation everyone :smile:

shirley knott: neat mix.

Mycofile: Did you major in philosophy?  Or are you a lawyer by trade? Because your rendition of spawn is an eye opener :smile:

If we take it one step further, at some "stage" mushrooms themselves can be substrate which in turn is spawn due to their connections with the substrate, since if "in reality casing your substrate and there was likely never any spawn"  that being the case your "spawn" would become the substrate??!?!?!  So which came first the spawn or the substrate???

The world may never know :frown:

/me walks aways clucking like a chicken

Lana   

I Love It

InvisiblePhoogle
Stranger
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: sea_of_weed]
    #1968019 - 09/30/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I was under the impression that one could colonize grain or brown rice mixes, whatever, then go right to casing it and get good results.

Like here in Starter's growhttp://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rt=all&vc=1

And I have seen a few of Anno's grows where he went from substrate right to casing.

IMO its seemd that spawning to poo or straw is nice but overkill sometimes. I have seen Anno grows with massive flushes that compared to spawned grows.

An Anno PF style substrate to casing grow: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rt=all&vc=1

BTW Lana, you rasie a very debateable issue here  :grin:

--------------------
I have left since the admins de-mod roadkill over accusations of stealing from the site when the man had a sickness.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: Phoogle]
    #1969626 - 10/01/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mycofile: Did you major in philosophy? Or are you a lawyer by trade?

LOL!  Vice Versa!  Studied law, philosopher by trade (sorta)!

And Phoogle, I agree.  To add more to great results just from cased cakes, look at all the old pictures that Ryche Hawk posted.  All the pics before, and many since they started using compost were simply pf cakes, cased.  They used pf cakes as a way to test batches of their own spores, which makes sense.  But look at all clyde's pictures, kick ass, wall to wall, several flushes.

Of course, one can't fault bulk for it's performance, but it is often overkill, especially if you aren't keeping the substrate around for multiple flushes.

Lana, /me walks away clucking as well.
:wink:

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleFick_Duck
Truffle Shuffle
Male

Loc: The Hamburger Train
    #1969660 - 10/01/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ryche used to have this posted at his site, a long time ago, in the days when you could sell spores and still talk about growing. I think its an excellent mix. My sugar glider friend still uses this formula, its great cased by itself or used as spawn. Ryche said it does pretty well in cake form but Ive never witnessed such things, so I cant say whether its good for cakes or not. Enough babble, here it is.

Hawk Magic Formula
-20 tbls finch seed
-7 tbls BRF
-4 tbls flax seed meal (right by the BRF @ the health food store)
-10 tbls vermiculite

Steep finch seed for 45-60 min as usual, mix it all up and put it in jars just like PF style. You want it to be clumpy but not sticky or the flax turns to syrup, add a little water or dry verm to get it right. 1/2 pint jars should fully colonize in 15 to 20 days.

This will make about 6 1/2 pint jars, my friend uses a serving spoon to measure when he wants to make more jars than that.
The stuffs great for people who want the ease and reliability of PF style with the yields of grains.

Enjoy!

--------------------
"To know life you must fuck it in the liver." -Dr. Frankenstein, Andy Warhols Frankenstein

InvisibleAlienPrimate
Brachiator
Re: How many of you just case your spawn? [Re: Fick_Duck]
    #1970901 - 10/01/03 09:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Lana...

I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to tell you that I saw the pics of yourself that you posted a while back and I just wanted to say that you are one hot momma!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

:heartpump: 

--------------------
I said "no" to drugs but drugs just aint takin no for an answer!

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Fick_Duck]
    #1972425 - 10/02/03 10:21 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds