Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Weary troops just want to go home
    #1960024 - 09/28/03 03:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This whole situation sounds like such a mess.

http://www.canoe.ca/OttawaNews/os.os-09-28-0066.html

Quote:

Weary troops just want to go home
As Iraqi resentment grows, U.S. soldiers in Iraq are showing the strain of being treated as unwanted guests

By SCOTT TAYLOR, Sun Media

BAGHDAD -- A little Iraqi girl -- no more than eight years old -- squatted beside the road with tears of humiliation streaming down her cheeks.

Twenty feet away, three American soldiers had their rifles aimed at her as she was forced to relieve herself in full view of a long line of parked cars. From inside their vehicles, the Iraqi onlookers screamed their rage at the U.S. troops.

Whenever one of the Iraqis ventured to step out of his vehicle, an American officer bellowed, "Get back in the car, a--hole!" and the .50-calibre machinegun mounted on the U.S. Hummer would swing menacingly toward the protester.

The terrified little girl was weeping uncontrollably by the time she dropped her skirt and ran back to her mother.

This incident took place on Sunday, Sept. 14, after a detachment of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division set up a roadblock on the Samara-Kirkuk highway. The purpose was to conduct a thorough weapons search of all traffic along this route. Without enough personnel to man the roadblock, the division soon had cars and trucks backed up for at least 2 km in each direction.

To ensure that no Iraqi ventured onto the roadway, 1st Lieut. Fisher and his detachment would race up and down the queue, pointing their weapons and hurling verbal abuse at any violator.

LACK OF EMPATHY

The little girl had been sitting in a small Mazda with six other family members for more than three hours before she left the car. Her older brother -- no more than 10 -- had bravely taken her by the hand and attempted to reach a small depression in the sand which might have offered a modicum of privacy.

Lieut. Fisher's Hummer had roared down the unpaved shoulder and come to a halt in a cloud of dust. The young boy abandoned his sister.

While Fisher and his men may have carried out their orders efficiently, their aggressive behaviour and lack of empathy in this instance had done little to win over the "hearts and minds" of the Iraqi people.

Two days after the incident at the Samara-Kirkuk roadblock, I was given a personal taste of Iraqi animosity towards Americans.

I had felt the sharp jolt immediately, but only as the pain registered in my forearm did I realize that I had been struck by a rock. I turned in time to see a young boy throw a second stone, which narrowly missed my head. The boy then ran back to a crowded pickup truck where his family was cheering him on.

I had been filming the traffic backlog on the Baghdad-Mosul highway when the incident occurred, and all along the densely packed roadway, Iraqis began honking their horns and screaming anti-American phrases at me.

After the collapse of Saddam's regime on April 9, the remnants of the elite Republic Guard had blown up the bridges across the Tigris River in an attempt to slow the U.S. advance on Tikrit. Although the last of the Tikrit defences were captured in late April, to date there are only a couple of temporary Bailey bridges in place to span the gap.

As a result, the volume of traffic greatly exceeds the capacity of the single-lane bridge. Having waited several hours in the hot sun, the Iraqi drivers were only too pleased to vent their anger on someone who appeared to be an American.

The opportune arrival of a U.S. armoured patrol thankfully prevented events from escalating out of control.

However, as I attempted to film my rescuers, a terrified young American soldier aimed his machinegun at me, screaming, "Put your hands in the air -- now!"

CASUALTIES MOUNTING

There is good reason for the U.S. troops to be jumpy. Over the past few weeks, ambushes by Saddam loyalists have been on the increase, and American casualties have been rising steadily.

What is even more alarming is that these attacks are no longer isolated to the volatile central Iraq region, known as the Sunni Triangle. As evidenced by the Sept. 9 bomb blast in Erbil -- which killed three and injured 55 -- and the string of deadly ambushes in Mosul, the terror attacks are spreading into northern Iraq.

"We believe that the large-scale U.S. military clampdown in the Sunni Triangle has simply forced the extremists out of that region in search of softer targets," explained Eddi "Windtalker" Calis, the Palestinian-American responsible for intelligence and security at the U.S. airfield in Kirkuk.

"We now have to be prepared for an attack to happen anywhere, any time."

Under such constant pressure, the American soldiers are showing signs of stress, and unit morale has plummeted.

"We've shipped home three guys in body bags and at least another 30 wounded since (U.S. President George W.) Bush declared this thing over," said 23-year old Lieut. Tanner, of the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

"Not all of those shipped home were suffering from physical wounds. Some simply cracked under the stress."

For the majority of U.S. military personnel now deployed in Iraq, the earliest rotation date home will not be until next April, which means they will have served, on average, a 14-month tour abroad. To make matters worse, with the coalition forces unable to provide a secure environment anywhere in Iraq, the troops have been unable to enjoy any local R&R.

"This is completely unprecedented," said Staff Sgt. Allan Spry, a 17-year veteran with the 173rd Brigade.

"How long can they expect our guys to go without sex and alcohol?"

Although the U.S. soldiers in Iraq are under strict orders to remain "dry," one indicator of a breakdown in unit discipline is the presence of Iraqi alcohol vendors outside most of the American camps.

Sexual fraternization is also forbidden, but the staggering number of pregnancies among U.S. female personnel has only exacerbated the Americans' manpower shortage.

"The (women) know that getting knocked up is a ticket out of this sh--hole," claimed Cpl. Slaughter.

"We started out with 10 women (at the U.S. compound in Taji) and already three of them have gone home pregnant. Everyone knows that the lieutenant is pregnant but she just hasn't told the commanding officer yet. So, that's 40% of our women knocked up in less than five months."

In an effort to reduce the demand on U.S. military resources, the Americans have relinquished control of the central Iraq region to the Multi-National Division (MND). Comprising troops from 21 countries, the 8,300 soldiers of the MND resemble a modern-day Tower of Babel.

Although Poland and Spain are the major contributors, many of the MND units comprise personnel from non-NATO countries such as Mongolia, the Philippines, Bulgaria and Kazakhstan.

"While it was required that all officers must be able to speak English, I cannot say that we are not facing some difficulties," admitted Col. Javier Cabeza, the Spanish chief of MND operations.

EQUIPMENT LACKING

Language is not the only operational obstacle facing the MND. There is a tremendous disparity in the equipment used by the various contingents, including the necessity to supply some troops with non-standardized ammunition calibres. Many contributing forces arrived in Iraq with virtually no equipment whatsoever.

"As a result of the Salvadoran, Nicaraguan, Honduran and Dominican Republic troops requiring vehicles, weapons, protective clothing and training upon arrival, their operational deployment had to be delayed," explained Col. Cabeza.

The U.S. is covering all incremental costs and providing the requisite equipment to all nations contributing troops.

In addition to the deployment of foreign troops into Iraq, the U.S. interim authority has also hired a number of corporate security firms on contract to assist coalition troops in protecting strategic resources.

To protect their own personnel, Kellog, Brown and Root -- the major U.S. corporate contractor for Iraq's reconstruction -- has hired its own local armed guards. Dressed in civilian clothing and carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles, the KBR security staff patrol the compounds around the Baghdad hotels that house U.S. executives.

The problem is that nobody is quite clear as to what jurisdiction or authority these "rent-a-gun" agencies are entitled to.

"If my men see an Iraqi carrying a weapon, they'll not wait to find out whose side he's on," said an Australian captain, who requested anonymity. "They'll shoot first, and identify the remains later."

On Sept. 12, U.S. forces did just that, when they mistakenly engaged a detachment of Iraqi police outside of Fallujah. When the one-sided firefight ended, eight of the Iraqi police were dead.

"When you've got Iraqis in civilian clothes and driving civilian cars ... you can't blame (the 82nd Airborne) for greasing those guys, even if they turned out to be policemen," said Sgt. Kostens, a section commander with the 1st Armored (Old Ironsides) Division.

Kostens was hit by two grenade fragments during an ambush in late May.

"Our guys are not about to start taking any chances. We are planning to survive the tour, get home safe and get the hell out of the army," Kostens concluded.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Weary troops just want to go home [Re: Edame]
    #1961597 - 09/28/03 11:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like sheer hell. And it's going to get an awful lot worse.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1961631 - 09/29/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That's bloody fucking horrible. I cant make it through the article. But congrats to the knuckle dragging neanderthals for humiliating a child.

Fuckers.

With actions like that.. I'd sure like to see the iraqi people give a whole new meaning to Bush's "Bring em on" taunt.

--------------------

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Weary troops just want to go home [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1961644 - 09/29/03 12:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1961740 - 09/29/03 01:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you pray hard enough maybe they'll start using little girls as suicide bombers.

You'd like that wouldn't you?

--------------------
This space for rent

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Weary troops just want to go home [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1962104 - 09/29/03 06:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"If my men see an Iraqi carrying a weapon, they'll not wait to find out whose side he's on," said an Australian captain, who requested anonymity. "They'll shoot first, and identify the remains later."

I want the Aussies home and out of that stupid American war.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1962414 - 09/29/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You'd like that wouldn't you?

Not as much as you by the sound of it baby.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1962905 - 09/29/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'd love to see a fair fight. Not adults picking on fucking children. That's just pathetic. HAVE ANY CHILDREN BEEN USED IN BOMBINGS? NO. Oh wait, I forget, we are a preemptive country doing things for absolutely no reasoning.. shattering the innocence of a whole generation of people. That's why that poor little girl had been sitting in a car for three hours and she bum rushed the checkpoint.. right? Oh wait.. she preceeded off to the side of the road so she could go to the bathroom. Because she is a LITTLE GIRL and had to pee! Frankly, I'd let my child pee all over the car before I let soldiers from an invading country point automatic weapons at her while she squatted and lifted her skirt to pee. The world needs to be made up of more women and mothers and less of you testosterone crazed "men" (I use that term loosely)

HOW MANY CHILDREN HAVE HAD THEIR ARMS AND LEGS BLOWN OFF FOR BEING CURIOUS ABOUT YOUR ARMY'S UNDETONATED MUNITIONS LYING ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE? Way too many to count.

What big men this country is made of.

No wonder half of my friends have become lesbians.

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1963345 - 09/29/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

http://lunaville.org/warcasualties/Summary.aspx

363 Killed

1673 wounded

No wonder they are weary and wanna get the fuck out of there.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1963426 - 09/29/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well i was saying how much of a mess this would be before this invasion even began.  America needs to swallow its pride and go the fuck home...NOW!
Its disgracefull, futile, and extremely wastefull....this will be another veitnam for sure.
The jihad has started...the end is far from near. :nonono:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #1963432 - 09/29/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"What big men this country is made of.

No wonder half of my friends have become lesbians. "

SO TURE(an d I am a guy)

Psilo....you might want to read the book called ...."the male machine", a girl a work gave it to me because ....."you are the only guy hear smart enough to read this and I already cant figure out men!!!!, let me know what you think"(I get alot of books I work at a recycling depot

ANYWAY................"If you pray hard enough maybe they'll start using little girls as suicide bombers.

You'd like that wouldn't you?"

Well alot of people like to throw that around "suicide bombers"
but ask yourself........what level of HELL, makes someone actually kill themselves , Palestine?, it seems so

and as for Iraq if this thing streches out longer you WILL see way more Suicide bombers, and people that dont know why they do it tottally MISSING THE POINT

by the way......I am sure you all know that the leader of afganistan used to work for Halliburton right???????
Democracy at work!(america wanted a pipeline between pakistan and afganistan before the war , now they have it.........just a side effect of freeing the afgan people right......??????
they didnt go in there or IRAQ , JUST FOR OIL????????
right?

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Weary troops just want to go home [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1963438 - 09/29/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

oil, and a power center in the middle east. don't forget about the value of the american dollar dropping either...
its disgusting to see human greed work so blatantly.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order