Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Discuss this phrase
    #1962532 - 09/29/03 01:23 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Religion is a cult that has caught on.

By the way, I don't mean that in an absolute way. Religion has brought a lot of positives to people's lives, and it can be a way to bring people together, however there is the notion that anything that isn't a large mainstream religion is somehow a cult and a lower form of religion. The point is that religion is a way of accessing spirtuality, and that it shouldn't matter how you get there as long as you get there. The one condition to that is that when the methods used to get there are hurtful or intolerant to others. Unfortuntly, a lot of religions rely on conversion and evangelism; preaching destruction of other cultures in order to reaffirm the faith. This is when religions act like "cults", however it is a socially acceptable form of crusading.

Okay, that's my thoughts. Now it's your turn.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Discuss this phrase [Re: Twirling]
    #1962562 - 09/29/03 01:43 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

> however there is the notion that anything that isn't a large mainstream religion is somehow a cult

Usually a cult is defined by the grip or control it has over its members rather than the number of members or age of their beliefs.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Discuss this phrase [Re: Seuss]
    #1962604 - 09/29/03 02:05 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Right, and what I'm saying is that people often distinguish between cults and religions based on their size or mainstream acceptance, rather than the grip or control an organization imposes. In other words, people might view Paganism as a cult because they seem weird and not as accepted, but (at least in the USA) Christianity is an established and accepted religion so it?s not looked at as a cult. It?s very relative to a culture, and not so much to the actual definition of a "cult".

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1962620 - 09/29/03 02:12 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

And btw, before anyone gets offended, I don't think Christianity is necessarly a cult. It really depends more on the leaders and the type of mentality they preach. I've met a lot of Christains who are extremely tolerant of other views and practice tolerance.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1962665 - 09/29/03 02:34 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

I see cults as religions without cultural expression. Anyway, the meaning of the word "religion" is more used within the "institution" context this days. I see it as a posture used by such institutions to exclude other faiths from having the same rights they have.
The meaning of the word is related to the "connection with god", not about being some thousand of years old or having some billion followers.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1962677 - 09/29/03 02:36 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

> It really depends more on the leaders

A simple test I came up with a few years ago... count the number of times the leader says "I" or "You" vs "We" while preaching. If the "I's and You's" outweigh the "We's" then move on to the next...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #1962681 - 09/29/03 02:37 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

All widespread religions have indeed started out as cults. And you're right when you say religion should be about the goal, not the way to it. HOWever, there are religions/cults that don't even offer a useful path to follow, without preaching destruction or intolerance. For instance, a lot of new age doesn't offer anything but a poetic way of saying nothing significant or innovative.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology