Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBlackWidow
Male

Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally
    #19623541 - 02/26/14 09:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It's as dangerous as heroin, but you can walk right into a store in a city or suburb and buy it over the counter.

Parents probably haven't heard of it yet -- and so far, it's not even technically illegal to sell it if you are calling it a tea, as head shops are. But they're pitching it as a drug, which is illegal.

Either way, the drug called kratom – pronounced kray-tum -- is definitely on law enforcement's radar.

Online, kratom has created a buzz, with young men recording YouTube testimonials while they are high on it.

As one of them slurs, "Kratom is what they refer to in the medical community as an opiate with a roof where you can only get so high."

The drug is made from the leaves of trees that grow in Southeast Asia. In this country, it is sold as a pill or as a powder you stir into a beverage.

In small doses, it acts as a stimulant. In higher doses, it becomes a sedative.

The Ohio attorney general's crime lab is constantly on the watch for this latest illicit drug. Just last month, eight people in central Ohio were indicted for running a large-scale drug operation, which included the sale of kratom.

"It is illegal in Ohio to take it and sell it as a drug," says Jonathan Fulkerson, deputy chief counsel for Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.

While kratom is on the watchlist put out by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, Channel 3 producers found it widely available online, as well as in a number of local head shops.

We went undercover to see how store clerks would describe it. One producer bought a bag of 30 pills for $30 at the Twilight Boutique in Lakewood after the clerk told him the pills could relieve pain and help induce sleep.

"He said it was one of those things where he used it for arthritis," said the producer. "He said it helped remove the pain."

Fulkerson noted that kratom is not approved for any medical purpose in the U.S. -- including as a pain reliever.

The owner of the Twilight Boutique, Dale Drummond, said later that he had no idea his employees were selling kratom as a drug.

"Thank you very much," he said when we paid another visit to his store. "I will definitely look into it. I am not aware we were selling it -- it's an all natural tea extract."

Drummond is facing trial in May on charges that he and others distributed synthetic drugs that were designed to mimic marijuana. He says he stopped offering kratom when he learned of other people getting in trouble for selling it.

"There are stores getting busted for it," Drummond said. "I don't want legal stuff (issues), so I pulled it off the shelves till I get more answers."

At another head shop -- the Glass House in Cleveland -- we were told to leave, and the owner never returned our calls.

"Kratom is on our radar for the reasons it's on the DEA's radar," says Fulkerson. "It's a drug of concern."

Little research has been done on the safety of kratom, but there are reports of people who have used it showing up in emergency rooms complaining of symptoms similar to heroin withdrawal.

Even promoters of kratom warn that daily use can create unpleasant side effects. These include nervousness, aggression, sleeplessness and tremors.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/investigations/2014/02/26/kratom/5844621/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewanderingdrive
Stranger

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: BlackWidow]
    #19623555 - 02/26/14 09:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Wholesale bullshit, no wonder the head shop kicked them out.

OfflineAmbicerebral321
Ambidextarian
 User Gallery

Loc: The void
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: wanderingdrive]
    #19623646 - 02/26/14 09:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Ibogaine.... weans the weak from what I've been seeing online. I don't mess with the brown but I've seen some folks head down that silk road.

OfflineGorlax
Male

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Ambicerebral321]
    #19623668 - 02/26/14 09:46 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

WOW LOL! I just bought some from my craigslist dude. 5g of red vein got me going, but honestly fuck MEDIA! kratom isn't as dangerous as HEROIN! WTF! who writes this shit, pre-schoolers? I don't believe anyone has died from kratom!? It's a fucking miracle plant!

Offlinelot_justice
C.L.I.T. commander
Male

Loc: nowhere man
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Gorlax] * 1
    #19623699 - 02/26/14 09:51 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

This is so sickening.

OfflineAmbicerebral321
Ambidextarian
 User Gallery

Loc: The void
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Gorlax]
    #19623712 - 02/26/14 09:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You know anywhere that it would be possible to get an Iboga seed or plant through some sort of botanical online source perhaps. I'm going to talk to some Africans of mine and see if they know anything about it. I've seen the Tabernanthe iboga and wouldn't mind having it around as a house plant. Heard the trip is something in itself. 18HRS.

OfflineAtrium
Cunt Tickler

#19623767 - 02/26/14 10:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

This is not about Iboga at all but honestly, since Iboga is so endangered right now I wouldn't even feel right knowing you're just gonna eat it. Grow multiple then trip off one. It's only right man; Give back.

--------------------
The only thing about Chemistry I like is all the psychedelics that come from it.

The only reason I study Psychology is to have a legitimate excuse to enjoy Chemistry. :tongue2:

InvisibleEchro
Psychedelic Nihilist
 User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #19623776 - 02/26/14 10:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ambicerebral321 said:
Heard the trip is something in itself. 18HRS.

I heard it's like 24 hours, with about half of it being a retrospective of your life up to that point. That may just be subjective but the prospect entices me. Plus it's not only a Serotonergic psychedelic but also works on the same(different respectively) receptors as Ketamine & Salvia Divinorum. It sounds like a super trip. Imagine breaking through via all those receptor portals from the same drug at the same time
:jawdrop:

Iboga is endangered? FUUUUUUCK

--------------------
"People who take Life seriously are going to find it slipping through their fingers in a very maddening fashion." ~ Terence McKenna

"You still want to go on living on your knees. But I have understood life.
And anyone who understands life cannot live on his knees." ~ Renzo Novatore

OfflineYippie
Happystance
 User Gallery

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: BlackWidow] * 2
    #19623864 - 02/26/14 10:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Here is the writers Twitter account - if you want to let him know what you think of his "journalism"

Tom Meyer Twitter

--------------------
"Just living molecule to molecule"

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Yippie]
    #19624508 - 02/27/14 01:42 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I can't believe it.. It's on it's way out... :sad:

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Yippie]
    #19624513 - 02/27/14 01:43 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yippie said:
Here is the writers Twitter account - if you want to let him know what you think of his "journalism"

Tom Meyer Twitter

flood his page of shock of his crappy article!

Edit: I can't even believe how badly this ones pissing me off right now.. :mad2:  I'm fucking fuming :kingcrankey:

Edit#2: 
Quote:

Even promoters of kratom warn that daily use can create unpleasant side effects. These include nervousness, aggression, sleeplessness and tremors.

And they think their fucking pharma garbage bullshits any better.. Fuckers...

Sorry guys, this is big to me though..

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

Edited by tripp23 (02/27/14 02:11 AM)

OfflineDeemstar
Doctor Deemstar
 User Gallery

Loc: The void Flag
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: tripp23]
    #19625268 - 02/27/14 09:36 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Omfg they said heroin, ban it! Meanwhile doctors prescribe methamphetamine "like" drug to children nationwide. I don't think there's one classroom in this entire country that doesn't have at least one kid on prescribed speeds.

--------------------
Gnome-miii-odd
JAH!!! Pasta-far-eye!:bigblunt:
R.I.P. Georgie poor G
A.K.A. Jorgon Lucy

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: BlackWidow]
    #19625551 - 02/27/14 10:48 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

dumb assess, they're just going to make it more popular, people will find out it's really not like heroin and it will end up being left alone.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: zZZz]
    #19625570 - 02/27/14 10:51 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Wow look at this fear mongering... first sentence "As bad as heroin"

Well hooooooly fuck... can you explain why it is "as bad as heroin"...oh it gets you buzzed? BAN IT.

Meanwhile tobacco and alcohol kill more people collectively this year than ALL OTHER DRUGS combined

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Uzziel]
    #19625593 - 02/27/14 10:56 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

we're not in the 90's anymore, parents aren't as gullible to believe everything that is fed to them..

InvisibleAquaKet
RC Connoisseur

#19626976 - 02/27/14 04:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Anything that quells pain, anxiety, depression, and/or insomnia should obviously be banned, especially if it is in the form of plant material and has never killed anybody...........ever. :rolleyes:

--------------------
relax

...but that was many years from now and, i hope from here on out
i always seem to want to shout your eyes are like a cup of tea, ascend into the sun with me...

OfflineMushie23
Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #19626999 - 02/27/14 04:19 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I wanna create a Twitter account just to point out how stupid he sounds saying kratom is a heroin like substance and calling it just as dangerous. 
These are the people writing stories for news stations?  Where the F is he getting his info?

I'm sure many of us have tried Kratom.  I can see it being addicting, but no where near the level of heroin addiction.

What a joke...and sadly, some people will take his words as fact and go around spouting off the same BS:rolleyes:

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: Mushie23]
    #19627929 - 02/27/14 08:04 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Say it with me all!!! Kray-tum.....

Seriously I took one look and stopped reading. The person who wrote this article  intellegantly coined a new spelling by adding a y as kratum is even recognized although kraytum is unheard of.

Maybe it is just the person who wrote this article is an idiot who did little to no research and is wasting space sharing it.

I wouldn't know I didn't read it.

InvisibleBlackWidow
Male

Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: tacodude]
    #19627980 - 02/27/14 08:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

If this upsets you then email the news station: morningshow@wkyc.com

I've already sent one and the more people that email the news station regarding the article the more likely we are to get a rewrite that is at least a little bit better.

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Loc: TX Flag
Re: Heroin-like drug sold over the counter locally [Re: BlackWidow] * 1
    #19628179 - 02/27/14 09:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

i will mos def send them an email

--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies