Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast US Flag
The quest for Ganoderma sinense.
    #19620568 - 02/26/14 11:33 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks to a fellow shroomerite, I have the opportunity to make some attempts at getting a culture of Ganoderma sinense from some dried specimens shipped in from china.  I expected one or two conks I received a decent little bag full, Thank you ChromeCrow !

I intend to take some pieces of the inner pores, in hopes that there are some spores still lingering in there. Place them on agar and see what happens. I may try some of the actual flesh from some thicker specimens to see if it may still be viable. There are some dusty conks, at first I was hopeful it was spores, but now I'm thinking it could just be dirt. But I am sure that somewhere in these is something viable. There is a variety of conks to choose from old and cracked to some that were harvested prior to maturity.

I know that there were some other members who were interested in working on this species. If you also received some material to work with feel free to post your information in this thread. I'm thinking something like a community collaboration kind of thing. Any input is welcome.

--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Edited by Mrcloudy (11/15/14 03:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ganoderma sinense. Attempting a culture from dried material. [Re: Mrcloudy]
    #19620716 - 02/26/14 12:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

i was looking for cultures of this the other day.  even the ATTC doesn't have any.  I guess the chinese got these black/purple/blue/green reishi's on lock down.  I WANT SOME!

gotta catch em all!

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Edited by drake89 (02/26/14 12:10 PM)

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ganoderma sinense. Attempting a culture from dried material. [Re: drake89]
    #19620741 - 02/26/14 12:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I am hopeful that I can get something to grow from these, I have never actually tried to grow anything from old, dry mushrooms but if there is spores in those pores then hopefully they are viable and can germinate, from there it should be a piece of cake and we can have a new culture in our midst.

--------------------

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

#19620836 - 02/26/14 12:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So, looking for some input, I took some chunks of pores and placed them into water and shook it. After a while it took on a light amber color. Am I correct in assuming that this is spores, or might it be extracting some color from the pores themselves?

And if this is spore water would it be best to place this on agar, or a chunk of pores? I am thinking that if I was to use sterilized water I might be able to get the spores away from the pores which may harbour contaminants and thus be better able to clean up the plate when germination occurs.

--------------------

AMU

Offlinefatchillin
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Loc: pNw
    #19620925 - 02/26/14 12:57 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have much to add, just want to be included in this awesomeness. I want to grow some of these purple reishis! :stoned::thumbup:

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ganoderma sinense. Attempting a culture from dried material. [Re: fatchillin]
    #19623677 - 02/26/14 09:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I took the pores from one of the conks and diced them up into small bits and soaked it in some water on a stir plate for an hour or so. The result was a nice yellow brown water.

I took some samples of this water to look at under the microscope and the water turns out to be a mix of bits of mycelium and spores. So there are spores to be found in these conks!

Sorry for the poor microscope image, Its a cheap garage sale microscope with an early 2000s webcam attached. These are the best images I can get. You can make out a few spores in there. I checked them against spores from my cultivated Reishi and they are very close to the same size.

My plan is to pressure cook some water so it at least is clean. Then take and dice up some more pores from a few other conks and place them in the water on the stir plate. Then take that water and try it out on some agar plates. I imagine that no matter what the water will be filled with contaminants but I think that removing the spores from the conks will allow me to avoid some of the contaminants that would come with dropping conk material on agar.

--------------------

AMU

Edited by Mrcloudy (02/27/14 11:39 AM)

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #19624189 - 02/26/14 11:35 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
i was looking for cultures of this the other day.  even the ATTC doesn't have any.  I guess the chinese got these black/purple/blue/green reishi's on lock down.  I WANT SOME!

gotta catch em all!

I'm skeptical about this even being a real reishi. I am skeptical the guys who placed the name are even legit either..Heard to find solid evidence of its existence anywhere.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ganoderma sinense. Attempting a culture from dried material. [Re: lipa]
    #19624257 - 02/26/14 11:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

It looks to me to be definitely Ganoderma. It is exactly like the Reishi I cultivated before. The structure of the stipe, the growth pattern of the conk, the internal structure of the pores. The only difference is this is black and mine is red.

With that being said, I can entertain the idea that it may be red reishi that has been processed in some way after harvest to have a darker color.  The confirmation will be when it is grown, if any of the spores are viable.

Side by side they look very similar. The only difference is in the underside which is a dirty color instead of the rather clean color of my conk. However all of them seem to be rather dirty and several have insect holes in them so I cant imagine they were grown in a caring clean environment. There is an annoying lack of information concerning this species. And I haven't actually seen any photographs of it being grown so I am suspicious that even if I do get something to grow it may just end up red as a normal specimen. But again cultivation if possible, is the way to figure that out.

--------------------

AMU

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Loc: Indiana
    #19624259 - 02/27/14 12:01 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Glad to see you got some too man, got mine a couple days ago. Did you get one of the big ones too? Here's the ones my fellow Hoosier (ChromeCrow) sent me.

Quote:

lipa said:
I'm skeptical about this even being a real reishi. I am skeptical the guys who placed the name are even legit either..Heard to find solid evidence of its existence anywhere.

I'm kinda confused lipa. The smaller specimens are identical (other than color) to these G. lucidium I found here, and the pores are bruised the same shade of brown. Can you explain more, please?

Quote:

drake89 said:

gotta catch em all!

I can send you a couple of the smaller fruits man, if you wanna play around with it. Gotta send a couple to Workman too. I'm keeping the big one tho... :wink:

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Re: Ganoderma sinense. Attempting a culture from dried material. [Re: ghiajake]
    #19624289 - 02/27/14 12:11 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I got all smaller ones and no bigger ones... I was kinda expecting like a large one and a few small ones or something, but I cannot complain. Its awesome to get the chance to work with this, If you get a culture from the big ones can you send some my way? :naughty: 

What do you think of my method of spore extraction?

--------------------

AMU

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#19624307 - 02/27/14 12:16 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

If you get a culture from the big ones can you send some my way?

Of course! And your method seems as good as any other. I do have some gentamicin (autoclavable antibiotic) that I'll throw in my agar when I attempt this.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

#19624326 - 02/27/14 12:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds good, do keep me posted on how your attempts are coming, I plan on doing the agar work tomorrow I have some gentamicin as well, for some reason I didn't even think of putting that in it, but really I should for this kind of work.

--------------------

AMU

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#19624352 - 02/27/14 12:30 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I might try this too, maybe with some gentamicin in it.

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

#19624366 - 02/27/14 12:34 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I saw that, It is an interesting concept. If I am understanding it correctly, It is using such a weak sugar content that the contams cant grow? Or rather the selected mycelium gets a head start.

--------------------

AMU

Edited by Mrcloudy (02/27/14 12:35 AM)

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #19625028 - 02/27/14 07:49 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mrcloudy said:
It looks to me to be definitely Ganoderma. It is exactly like the Reishi I cultivated before. The structure of the stipe, the growth pattern of the conk, the internal structure of the pores. The only difference is this is black and mine is red.

With that being said, I can entertain the idea that it may be red reishi that has been processed in some way after harvest to have a darker color.  The confirmation will be when it is grown, if any of the spores are viable.

Side by side they look very similar. The only difference is in the underside which is a dirty color instead of the rather clean color of my conk. However all of them seem to be rather dirty and several have insect holes in them so I cant imagine they were grown in a caring clean environment. There is an annoying lack of information concerning this species. And I haven't actually seen any photographs of it being grown so I am suspicious that even if I do get something to grow it may just end up red as a normal specimen. But again cultivation if possible, is the way to figure that out.

I find reishi here in southern California all the time that look just like that. And believe me they grow everywhere here in the spring and summer time here. I think they turn that color due to the climate they encounter and the way they dry up. I have even short term sterilized in a sealed container to find they get a glossier sheen and darker color which is what the US makes them do to import them elsewhere in the world. For instance New Zealand or Hawaii, they must be "killed" before they are sold there.

Lipa

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #19625083 - 02/27/14 08:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
Quote:

Mrcloudy said:

I find reishi here in southern California all the time that look just like that. And believe me they grow everywhere here in the spring and summer time here. I think they turn that color due to the climate they encounter and the way they dry up. I have even short term sterilized in a sealed container to find they get a glossier sheen and darker color which is what the US makes them do to import them elsewhere in the world. For instance New Zealand or Hawaii, they must be "killed" before they are sold there.

Lipa

well, crap.  on the aloha culture bank, their g. resinaceum looks pretty black

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #19625111 - 02/27/14 08:36 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

And here is the same in culture. This is the Aloha G. resinaceum.

Lipa

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#19625461 - 02/27/14 10:25 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting. I guess the only way to find out is to get some culture going and see what they do when fruiting. If they fruit black we'll know it's not a conditional trait. Although, there are many photos that show G sinense fruiting in nature, and they all still have the black color before ever being sterilized like you proposed.

Edited by ghiajake (09/17/14 07:03 PM)

OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

#19625788 - 02/27/14 11:43 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

So, then does anyone think that these conks may have been heat treated? Is this a common practice in china? To me it looks like they may have been allowed to dry naturally outside, (they are dirty and have some insect damage.)  I guess the true test is agar.

--------------------

AMU

InvisibleLustyLocks
I'm a teapot

Loc: Mom's basement Flag
    #19626296 - 02/27/14 01:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck