Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZutroye
Duke
How much light? * 1
    #1635492 - 06/15/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

What is the minimal time of light required by the shrooms? I read on the site that a few hours was needed but what is a few hours? 2? 5?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Zutroye]
    #1635500 - 06/15/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: How much light? [Re: Zutroye]
    #1635501 - 06/15/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A little bit per day; doesn't really matter that much for cubensis, IME. Optimal lighting, however, is "said" to be a 12 hr. on/off cycle.

I've had shrooms grow in almost no light at all, but they only pinned in the parts of the jars where light came into my closet.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (06/15/03 04:41 PM)

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Loc: Canada
Re: How much light? [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1635503 - 06/15/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

It is really cold where I live. I use the light to keep the temperature up. Is it ok to leave it on all the time?

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

OfflineAarondx
FUBAR
Loc: Just East of Uranus
    #1635504 - 06/15/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Since mushrooms don't photosythesise, you don't need very much light. You COULD get by doing only an hour (since you are asking minimum) but I'd personally still recommend at least 3 hours.

--------------------
I was so poor growing up ... if I wasn't a boy ...I'd have nothing to play with.
--Rodney Dangerfield

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: How much light? [Re: Aarondx]
    #1635515 - 06/15/03 04:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"It is really cold where I live. I use the light to keep the temperature up. Is it ok to leave it on all the time?"

I did this once and my mycelium yelled at me. Should still fruit, but make sure it is indirect light and does not dry anything out.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Edited by micro (06/15/03 04:45 PM)

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Re: How much light? [Re: micro]
    #1635523 - 06/15/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Uh oh, that could explain why my mycelium seems to stop growing after awhile doesn't it? Could it be that I'm drying out my substrate??

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
Re: How much light? [Re: Dionysus]
    #1635597 - 06/15/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The only purpose of light for mushrooms is to signal pinning and growth direction. 15 minutes a day will work. All day will work. Everyone has a preference.

My preference is 1 hour every 6 hours. Not because more light is beneficial, but to remind myself to inspect my growing area.

Here are the results of one of my recent experiments:

Quote:

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the value of various lights in relation to pinning duration's and fruiting.

Types of lighting used:

100 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS)
100 watt Metal Halide (MH)
100 watt incandescent Gro-Light
28 watt fluorescent
28 watt fluorescent ultra violet

The fluorescents are of a lower wattage, but remain at the industry standard for lumen comparison with incandescent.

The temperature was kept at a constant 77 degrees and humidity maintained at 95%.

Useable light energy for plant growth is measured in Micro-Einstein's which are micro-mols of photons per meter squared per second.

To maintain consistency during this experiment, the distance between light source and material was maintained at 300 Micro-Einstein's as measured by a borrowed Quantum reader. 300 Micro-Einstein's was chosen as this is the industry standard minimum for indoor plant growth.

10 half pint jars were prepared and inoculated. 3 cups vermiculite. 2 cups brown rice flower. 3 cups water.

Koh Samui was chosen for this experiment because it was readily available and quick colonization. This is my regular spore of choice for experimentation as I'm familiar with its growth characteristics.

All jars were inoculated at the same time from the same syringe using the same spore print. Cakes were chosen to maintain consistency and for easy viewing of pins.

Two jars each were used for each light source in the event of contamination.

The growing area was divided and each sampling was placed in a separate light proof area. Each light source was timer controlled and set to activate one hour every six hours for a total of four daily hours.

A brief description of each will be followed by the results and commentary.

100 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) - HPS lights are a brighter full range light with spectrums of white, blue, red and orange. Red and orange are most desirable for fruiting (or budding) plants using photosynthesis. The only problem associated with this light source was the intense heat associated with it. To maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's, a distance of 4.2 feet was necessary. To maintain 77 degrees, the exhaust fans were left on throughout the process and additional air-conditioning was used.

100 watt Metal Halide (MH) - MH lights are rich in white and blue spectrums desirable during vegetation of plants using photosynthesis. Heat was also a negative factor with the MH lamp and a distance of 3.8 feet was necessary to maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's. Again, constant exhaust fanning and AC was needed.

100 watt incandescent Gro-Light - Incandescent Gro Lights produce light spectrums of white, blue, red and orange. All spectrums necessary for vegetative growth and fruiting, but do so in tiny amounts. To maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's, a distance of 4 inches was necessary. A smaller fan was used to dissipate heat.

28 watt fluorescent Gro-Light - The light spectrum was almost identical to the incandescent, with slightly more white light which would benefit photosensitive plants during their vegetative state. The problem associated with this light source was the low lumen output. A distance of 1 inch was needed to maintain 300 Micro-Einstein's. At this distance, temperature was not of a negative issue because of the fluorescents efficiency.

28 watt fluorescent ultra violet - This was a true ultraviolet light source, not the "black light" bulb. Micro-Einsteins for this light source were measured at . 025. Maintaining the Micro-Einsteins minimum of 300 was not possible, but the bulb was still used and placed as close to the birthed cake as possible without touching. Less than a quarter inch.

My original hypothesis was that the lumen intensity of the HPS and MH would induce faster pinning, but was demonstrated wrong.

With the exception of the ultraviolet lamp, each of the remaining four light sources had near identical pin growth, timing and fruit completion. Pins for each were plus or minus 4.

Each pinned within 24 hours of the others with the fluorescent pinning first followed by the MH, incandescent and HPS.

The ultraviolet lamp slowed pinning and stunted carpophore growth.

For green plants that require photosynthesis an incandescent or fluorescent Gro-Light would work well with germination and seedling stages, but the low lumen output would create stretching of vegetative green plants as they grew taller in an attempt to gather more light.

For green plants using photosynthesis, they thrive with white and blue spectrums. A MH would serve this purpose well and would also produce acceptable lumens to reduce plant stretching. Fruiting green plants would thrive with a spectrum of red and orange. For this reason, switching to a HPS or supplementing with an HPS during fruiting of green plants would benefit most.

My findings for this experiment was that no light source had advantage over another in pinning or fruiting. Additionally, there were no noticeable differences in potency or yield.

I've been using a weak 50 watt incandescent bulb set to activate for one hour every six hours for a total of four hours daily. After my demonstrated results I will continue to do so as there is no advantage given to any tested light source.

--------------------
Ainasko is my name backwards. I'm a girl!

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Re: How much light? [Re: Ainasko]
    #1635606 - 06/15/03 05:18 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

How does light affect the moisture of the substrate?

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1635626 - 06/15/03 05:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

How does light affect the moisture of the substrate?

Light does not affect moisture in substrate. Temperature does.

--------------------

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

#1635637 - 06/15/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

How about when using light as a heat source. Would direct sunlight hinder the growth of mycelium cultures?

--------------------

InvisibleAinasko
Oksania
    #1635647 - 06/15/03 05:43 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Light would only hinder growth if it brings the temperatures out of the optimum range.

--------------------

OfflineShitakeIncarnation
The Estranged Conduit

#19619395 - 02/26/14 02:18 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

great info ainsko, I've been trying to figure out the lumen thing for awhile now! thanks

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #19619403 - 02/26/14 02:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ainasko said:
The only purpose of light for mushrooms is to signal pinning and growth direction. 

Wrong.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mushrooms don't use light for direction of growth.  Mushrooms grown in total darkness will still grow straight up, opposite gravity.Mushrooms turn towards the light because they are using it as a source of energy.  That's why mushrooms grown with the proper amount and spectrum of light grow much larger and heavier than mushrooms grown with insufficient light.  It's also why light is just as important during the growth phase as it is during the pinning stage.
RR

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13263705#13263705

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mycelium should be exposed to ambient room light from day of inoculation as has been known for many years.  Light is not a pinning trigger until after full colonization and an increase in air is given, and even then it's a secondary pinning trigger.
RR

Jars/bags/tubs/trays should colonize @ room temperature getting ambient/indirect light.

Main pinning triggers are full colonization, FAE and Evaporation off of the substrate.

Light is a secondary pinning trigger. For tropical species temperature is not a pinning factor.

P. Cubensis are a tropical species. You could colonize at 70F and fruit at 80F with great results.

Light has been proven beneficial during all stages of mycellium growth. Mushrooms like mammals have a circadian rhythm.

You want ambient/indirect light(on a 12/12 schedule preferably) for colonization and consolidation.

You want direct/intense 6500K light on a 12/12 schedule for fruiting.

Optimal temps are mid 70s throughout the whole grow, but anywhere from 65F-80F is acceptable.

Incubation is outdated/uneeded unless temps in the range stated above cannot be kept.

The inside of the jar is always a few degrees warmer than the outside because the mycellium produces heat..mycellium tends to stall at temps above 86F , and contams thrive.

Fruiting at cooler temps tends to produce denser, meatier fruits, while fruiting at higher temps will often produce hollow, less dense stems.

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much light? [Re: PussyFart]
    #19619406 - 02/26/14 02:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Lighting Requirements of Mushrooms

Some mushrooms, such as the Agaricus species commonly found in grocery stores require no light at all. However, those commonly grown by hobbyists, such as Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster Mushrooms), Lentinus enodes (Shiitake), Psilocybe cubensis, a hallucinogenic mushroom, and Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) all require light to produce abundant, normal sized fruits. Experience has taught us that the light best suited for primordia formation and the development of fruitbodies is bright light with a color temperature of 5,000 Kelvin to 7,000 Kelvin. Fortunately, this type of light is easily obtainable at your local home improvement center in the form of fluorescent fixtures. For a small terrarium as described in this chapter, a single CFL (compact fluorescent) that screws into a standard light bulb socket will work very well. These can often be found in grocery and drug stores in every neighborhood. 15 watt CFLs will do the job well, but the package will probably have a large 60 stamped on it, indicating they produce light "equivalent" to a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. They're referring to lumens of output, not the frequency. Incandescent light bulbs are the worst possible choice for growing mushrooms, since they emit a 'red' light in the 3,000 Kelvin color temperature range.

The higher the color temperature, expressed in Kelvin, the closer to the 'blue' end of the spectrum the emitted light is. The lower the color temperature the 'redder' the light is. If you have a choice of fluorescent lamps, purchase those labeled 'daylight' since these have a somewhat higher color temperature than cool white. Daylight, sometimes called 'natural daylight' fluorescent tubes generally emit light in the 6,500 Kelvin range, while cool white fluorescent emits light at around 5,000 Kelvin.
If you have several terrariums stacked or otherwise near each other, you can use larger 2 to 4 tube fluorescent fixtures. These come in 48" and 96" lengths. Place the fluorescent lamps as close as you can get them to your terrariums without causing excessive heating. Species such as Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms prefer to fruit at temperatures in the upper 50's to mid 60's Fahrenheit (15C to 20C), while Psilocybe cubensis prefers to fruit at a temperature in the mid 70s to about 80 Fahrenheit (23C to 27C)
Most mushroom species don't mind a slightly warmer temperature during daytime than at night, so if your grow room is a bit colder than the temperature ranges given above, a little warming from your lights during the daytime won't hurt at all, provided you don't let the air in your terrarium get too dry. For cakes, try to keep the humidity above 95%.
Cased substrates are a bit more forgiving, but still try to keep your humidity above 90%. 12 hours on, 12 hours off has proved to be a great combination over a wide range of species. Of course, if you have a bright window near your terrarium, that will suffice, but direct sunlight for more than a few minutes per day should be avoided.
Disregard outdated advice in old books which is constantly repeated on the internet to colonize mushroom substrates in total darkness. Experience and rigorous peer reviewed studies have proved that exposure to low level ambient indoor lighting during spawn run and substrate colonizing will speed up the process, leading to full colonization up to a few days earlier than the same substrate would if colonized in darkness. In addition, mushroom mycelium develops a day/night circadian rhythm, so exposure to light from day of inoculation sets this process in motion, leading to earlier fruiting and harvest.

Source:  http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19619414 - 02/26/14 02:28 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:oldthread:

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How much light? [Re: Stromrider]
    #19619416 - 02/26/14 02:30 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Stromrider said:
:oldthread:

Now updated.....lol.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19619420 - 02/26/14 02:37 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Nice work

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19619780 - 02/26/14 02:37 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Too much bad/disinformation in this thread.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom