Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHorseman
Old Timer
Loc: Houston, Texas
Mycelium is wet in overly compacted pint jars...
    #1961678 - 09/29/03 02:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have done plenty o casings, but this is my first try at cakes...just always wanted to do them. My first attempt at the cake substrate turned out to be too wet and too compacted..I innoced with some Thai and after 2 weeks the mycelium is spreading rather nicely even in the tightly compacted space...the problem I am have seen, is that the mycelium is saturated in some spots and appears to be very damp...almost clear. Will this be a problem? I know you can drown the mycelium, but how detrimental is that? Also, I was thinking about making some more BRF substrate and putting in a ziplock bag and then scrapping the colonized substrate from the saturated half colonized cake into the bag and letting the mycelium colonize the new bag...and then casing. What do yall think...should I just let the cake go and see what happens or go ahead and rescue what is good and healthy and move to a new bag? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium is wet in overly compacted pint jars... [Re: Horseman]
    #1961716 - 09/29/03 03:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I could be wrong but, since you can grow mycelia in liquid, I don't think it can drown. Mycelia can suffocate, however.

If I have my facts straight, mycelia won't fruit when it is too wet and, once fruiting has begun, you can stunt the fruiting process with too much water.

I think you have a better chance at success if you just wait. Even if it stays too wet, you can let the cake dry when you birth it... once it is fully colonized.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation