Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Democrats in support of Policeware....
    #1958178 - 09/27/03 08:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

WHAT IS THE CBDTPA?

Quote:

WHAT IS THE CBDTPA?

The CBDTPA is a bill (S. 2048) proposed in Congress by Senators Fritz Hollings (D-SC) and Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), along with Senators Daniel Inouye (D-HI), John Breaux (D-LA), Bill Nelson (D-FL), and Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). The acronym stands for "Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act". Note that the CBDTPA was originally known as the "SSSCA" while in draft form.

WHAT WOULD THIS LAW DO?

The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

This policeware would restrict your use of copyrighted material on these devices -- including music files and CD's, video clips, DVD's, e-books, and more.

WHO COULD GO TO JAIL?

You, if you're one of the millions of Americans who uses your computers to burn music CD's, listen to MP3's, share video files, etc. You'd face up to five years in federal prison and a $500,000 fine.

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.

HOW CAN WE FIGHT THIS?

If we have any hope of keeping government policeware off of our personal computers and home entertainment devices, we must act quickly and decisively.

For starters, you can sign our petition opposing the CBDTPA, contact your representative in Washington, tell a friend about this site, and put a banner on your own web site.

Also, if you're a constituent, feel free to contact the CBDTBA's sponsors in the Senate to let them know how you feel. Please be polite and well-reasoned.
- Senator Fritz Hollings (D-SC) - (202) 224-6121
- Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) - (202) 224-3004
- Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI) - (202) 224-3934
- Senator John Breaux (D-LA) - (202) 224-4623
- Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) - (202) 224-5274
- Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) - (202) 224-3841
- Capitol switchboard -- call YOUR Senator! - (202) 224-3121

Finally, the Senate Judiciary Committee has set up a page where you can share your thoughts: Click Here to Visit. PLEASE NOTE that it's more effective to contact your Senator directly -- if you post a comment to the above page, please be sure to make a printout and mail / fax it to your Senator.

Thanks for joining the fight.

http://stoppoliceware.org/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: Stein]
    #1958324 - 09/27/03 09:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for reminding me why I'm probably not going to vote democrat this election.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Anonymous

Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: monoamine]
    #1958650 - 09/28/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

*insert a moving to canada statement*

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: ]
    #1958976 - 09/28/03 02:51 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hey man,I'm not going anywhere.

*insert "If you don't like it here ,then leave" statement*

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #1958988 - 09/28/03 03:01 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

What assholes. Totally in the pockets of their corporate paymasters.

Write/call your Senator/congressman to get this bullshit stopped.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1960059 - 09/28/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Why do people keep voting for the "lesser of two evils" when this tactic has repeatedly failed to stem the losses of our liberties?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1960103 - 09/28/03 03:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Isn't Fritz Hollings the asshole who wanted to allow the RIAA to remotely blow up your computer if you were suspected of filesharing? I think someone also found his own website running an unlicensed script.

This is how far these people want to go in protecting the near-perpetual copyrights of their corporate buddies.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1960192 - 09/28/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

feinstein fucking pisses me off sometimes...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: Autonomous]
    #1960276 - 09/28/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
Why do people keep voting for the "lesser of two evils" when this tactic has repeatedly failed to stem the losses of our liberties?

It's my belief things would be much worse if many didn't vote for the lesser of two evils.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1960291 - 09/28/03 04:43 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

But the trend towards totalitarianism is increasing, not decreasing. Perhaps it is time for a change of tactics?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1960342 - 09/28/03 04:58 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
But the trend towards totalitarianism is increasing, not decreasing. Perhaps it is time for a change of tactics?

Look, I understand your point but I firmly believe we'd be even further in the shitter following your path. I have to do what I believe is going to do the least harm until enough see the light and realize the welfare state is killing us.

Bush is not the best man for the job but I believe he's far better than the other choice at the time.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1960352 - 09/28/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

THere are more important issues than that.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: afoaf]
    #1960358 - 09/28/03 05:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
feinstein fucking pisses me off sometimes...

I know. I wish Campbell would've won her seat. He may be a Republican, but at least he's a libertarian-leaning Republican.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1960364 - 09/28/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

At this point, I don't think anything short of a revolution would overthrow the two mainstream parties.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Democrats in support of Policeware.... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1960370 - 09/28/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
THere are more important issues than that.

More important? No, but I'd go along with AS important and I'd still vote the same way.

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1960371 - 09/28/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Stevens is getting a lil soft

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Jump to top Pages: 1