Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Loc: Somewhere in the middle o...
Please ID, sorry no means to post pic
    #1959827 - 09/28/03 04:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, I re-read the teks and faq's almost daily, so don't start please, & sorry I can't post a pic, scanners not working. So this
morning I remembered it rained last night for the 2nd time in one week, breaking a 28 day drought I believe. So, I strolled myself into the front yard(pasture that the last owners kept horses on.) Well, let me back up by saying I've seen mushrooms growing out of the horse dung in this field/yard, but i'm pretty sure it's a lookalike of Panaeolus Subbalteatus.
My reasoning for thinking it's a lookalike of Pan S., is because this mushroom hunting guide I printed off this website,....well actually I have 3 reasons....
#1- The lookalike information for main habitat being horse dung (Pan. sub. * Psilo. Coproph.) says that P. Merdaria has central ring on stalk, & Stropharia Semiglobataa has yellowish central ring zone on stalk, & at least 4 out of 5 mushrooms picked from the same cow pattie, have the black central ring zone around stalk, so you'd say P. Merdaria, right?,

#2- cap description for Psilocybe Coprophilia says, "brownish cap with brown gills and yellowish-brown stalk." And, again the mushrooms I have, don't fit this desciption. I'd describe my mushroom, "yellowish-brownish center of cap, fading to white,(like an egg yolk, you nah sayin' right?), and stalk offwhite to yellowish-brown. Looked like a Cubensis. &

#3- According to my hunting guide, Psilocybe Coprophilia does not bruise blue, which everyone of these turned blue pretty rapidly, couple caps even turned a visible purple, which is what got my hopes up, I know some turn blue that lack Psilocin &/or Psilocybin, and some
times, even have extra poisonous ingredients inside, but every shroom picked up until this day, were cubies or Sub. Alts and everyone
turned blue to some extent & being paranoid about eating poisonous ones, I'm always rechecking descriptions and whatnot, so If I'm gonna eat it, I'm sure of the identity.
I'm asking for an ID on these shrooms, and if it's what I thought
(P. Merdaria)that's a non hallucinogenic species correct?
I greatly appreciate anybodys constructive critisicm, or advice to offer, BTW, I'd check em' to see if the spores match up pretty closely
to the description, but the shrooms have probably already had too much moving around for the spores to be useful now right? esp. being
in a ziplock bag, right? Besides I've never had to make a print before. Thanks in advance. Also, I just thought to include the area of the world I live in, being central to south Alabama, & high of 85F, and low being apx. 70F, possibly not even that low, just a little breezy

--------------------
"Did you see what GOD just did to us maaaaan?" -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Edited by Cinopsilo (09/28/03 04:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Please ID, sorry no means to post pic [Re: Cinopsilo]
    #1959846 - 09/28/03 04:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Re: Please ID, sorry no means to post pic [Re: ]
    #1960003 - 09/28/03 05:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeh,good Idea about the measurements, they're at the bottom of the post, and I figured the ziplock bad would'nt matter assuming I had an inactive lookalike, but what should I normally store wet/dry shrooms in? tupperware w/ a lid I'd guess. Anyway, You'll really make my day if your assumption based on my descriptionis true; I've never seen or taken Cyanescens, they always seemed like, "the potent mushroom just out of my reach. BTW, I know it's possible, but is it very common for P. Cyan's to grow on horse dung?
Alright, being the first time I've been unsure about species, and having to get measurement, bare with me if I do it all backwards format and $hit..I'll measusure the smallest/shortest and biggest/tallest so you'll have the 2 extremes, keep in mind this is only out of 5 mushrooms, if it's even needed...
two biggest caps are 1"1/2 X 1"1/2, I may be off by an eigth of an inch.
The smallest cap is 1"1/4 X 1"1/4, once again may be off an eigth of an inch.
Longest stem, 2"3/4
shortest stem, eighth under 2"
& If I had to measure the thickness of stalk/stem then I'm guessing I would not wrap the measureing tap circularly around the stalk, being that it's fragile enough it'd break probably no time, so I'll just hold the tape up to the thickness of stalk and read one side, i don't know screw it, if it's necessary I'll post, but neither stem is as thick as a reg. n0. 2 pencil, one's close, but still not as thick. BTW, other observations I've made while measuring, the shrooms are getting a lot more noticablly blue, visible to the eye not knowing what shade of blue to look for.and if anything else, gills got a little darker, they're dark brown, pretty close to black, but I'd say it's brown before I would black. Can you confirm that these are my sweet potent mushroom?

--------------------
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
    #1960152 - 09/28/03 06:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

So, since you said that from my description you came to the conclusion that the shrooms I picked were Cyanescens. So, I'm guessing since I told you the shrooms I picked had the central ring zone around stalk, that Cyanescens do as well?

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1960372 - 09/28/03 07:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Copelandia (pan) cyanescens do not have a ring (partial veil is absent).

i thought of C. cyanescens when i first read this post too, but the ring totally throws it off. the coloration and size would match. get the spore print, its very important for this. look for c. cyanescens desriptions and compare your mushrooms to those.

the thickness of the stems is also a bit too thick for C. cyanescens. it should be thinner, certainly at least twice as thin as a number 2 pencil. the stems are usually yellowish-brown sometimes grayish.

horse dung also does not concur with C. cyanescens, i have not heard of them growing from this substrate

based on your description, this is not C. cyanescens. get a description and we will try to figure something out from that. add some details too if you can.

a readily bluing mushroom growing from dung is most certainly active. however get a positive id before you eat them. this is one of those situations where a picture would be so nice. later and remember to curtsy and to say tadah when the they walk by.

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Please ID, sorry no means to post pic [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1960911 - 09/28/03 10:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

the stems could be thicker as has previously been indicated (for a cyanescens) and just make sure the print matches and if you REALLY see blue- soem guy named Santa said you should have fun tonight.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Re: Please ID, sorry no means to post pic [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1962148 - 09/29/03 09:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

DOH!  I did'nt intend to eat them, so I was pretty careless in handling them when I saw that it might've been inactive, or worse, poisionous...but, would it still be worth the time to throw em' in the dehydrator, the were picked about 2-4 p.m yesterday, or will too much potency be lost?  Thanks everyone...I checked some of the horse stalls last night and watered in manured areas, & when I was leaving the stall I saw about 6 little baby shrooms, dark brown, no yellow center in cap, just chocalate-brown cap and stem, & cap was'nt flat, it was cone shaped, bell shaped whatever.  I hate having no scanner :sad:

--------------------

OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
    #1963038 - 09/29/03 04:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I just remembered P. Cubensis have black ring in central zone of stalk, correct?
& Cubensis can grows on cow and horse manure right?

--------------------

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1963887 - 09/29/03 09:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

correct

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification