Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: topdog82]
    #19597678 - 02/21/14 12:38 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

topdog82 said:

My knees started to give out when I used to run a lot, these days I just run shorter distances. Running for 10 or 20 minutes is a lot better than nothing at all and is really easy to keep up with.

Most of my workout is calisthenics and martial arts training, but still really relaxed on it these days. Probably an hour total including a run. Will probably be biking a shit load soon though, 20miles a day and more.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #19597915 - 02/21/14 02:15 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Is cardio better for loosing weight?

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: Eminence]
    #19599156 - 02/21/14 11:05 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

frylock91 said:
Quote:

topdog82 said:
Quote:

frylock91 said:
Why don't you just do both? You don't need to do cardio everyday anyway, just do a few rounds of some HIIT, do some sprints for as long as you can, walk til you catch your breath, repeat a few times and that's better cardio than doing longer moderate paced cardio. Just do that a few times a week.

I do stength training and cardio on alternate days now. Try and hit the gym twice a week if possible. Usually 1-2 times. And other than that, body wieght training

Been getting good results. It is just that I LOVE running. Feels fuckin amazing. I just read some things about strength training being enssacaery too. and my knees have been in pain lately (I have been running a lot everyday for the past 3 years), and yeah

I guess once my knees get better this thread could justify more running than body wieght

Could always do some tendon & ligament strength training if you're worried about your knees. That's something a lot of people don't really pay attention to.

Ya my buddy who is getting into occupational therapy said my tendons and calves are too tight. Which is damn true. So I have been doing a little stretching and yoga. Slowly it'd getting better. Imam take a month of and just not run. I want my knees to fully heal and train for amarathon or something

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #19599173 - 02/21/14 11:08 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seriously_trippin said:
Is cardio better for loosing weight?

Idk. The thing is, if you want to sustain a diet of heavy red meats, I would say strength training is more important

If u r a tad overweight and have a little belly, I would say running is better. I shed POUNDS in a matter of months just running 20-30 mins a day. That was before I even started eating healthy

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

#19599192 - 02/21/14 11:11 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

topdog82 said:

My knees started to give out when I used to run a lot, these days I just run shorter distances. Running for 10 or 20 minutes is a lot better than nothing at all and is really easy to keep up with.

Most of my workout is calisthenics and martial arts training, but still really relaxed on it these days. Probably an hour total including a run. Will probably be biking a shit load soon though, 20miles a day and more.

I used to have knee problems but then switched to barefoot running. The pain went away. Nowadays the pain returned. It's not surprising I have ran 3-5 miles everyday for years so I need a break

Offlinexbloodwhipx

#19599222 - 02/21/14 11:16 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I dont do cardio anymore but i love lifting weights. But im chunky since i stopped dieting and running.

OnlinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: xbloodwhipx]
    #19599343 - 02/21/14 11:49 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'd say cardio is what helps you most. Strong muscles aren't needed is this world anymore.

Plus I always looked at guys with huge muscles thinking that they were one more muscle away from a heart attack

--------------------

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: Patlal]
    #19599348 - 02/21/14 11:50 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
I'd say cardio is what helps you most. Strong muscles aren't needed is this world anymore.

Plus I always looked at guys with huge muscles thinking that they were one more muscle away from a heart attack

I feel that while a little strength training is imporatant, you dont need to be RIPPED

A little muscle tone im guessing would go a long way for maintaining posture (which I think is important)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#19599725 - 02/21/14 01:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

topdog82 said:

I used to have knee problems but then switched to barefoot running. The pain went away. Nowadays the pain returned. It's not surprising I have ran 3-5 miles everyday for years so I need a break

How'd you start that routine up anyways? Hear its pretty dangerous in the sense of potentially fracturing something and also upsetting your general life-long posture (which leads to any problem imaginable from toe to the back of your neck).
I've always figured one could ease into it over say a years time, starting off for a few months walking very short distances + adding a little time every walk, then move onto 30-60s and all that.

Wouldn't try it myself though, shoes are not necessarily unnatural for humans, stone and bone tools existed before humans, domestication of certain animals may have existed as some Bonobos have been found to domesticate wild dogs, its reasonable to suggest that we may have evolved with clothing - including shoes.
The same goes for fire and cooked food, these are not necessarily human discoveries and very likely are not. Its a shame the other advanced hominids all died out.

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

#19600033 - 02/21/14 02:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

The routine of barefoot running? I always ran with heavy sole shoes. I just switched and had 0 problems. It feels a lot better and all my knee pain went down. Posture got way better too

If they designed causal sneakers that were in the same barefoot format I'd wear em all day. Wearing vibrams would feel dorky

Try it out. The first day it hurts but once you adjust you running style you will find yourself running faster, better, and much less energy expended. It's just a better overall experience IMO. Haven't had to trade off anything

OfflineMescalean
Burke is love, burke is life.

Re: Could one survive on purely cardio or strength training? [Re: Patlal]
    #19600170 - 02/21/14 03:30 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:

Quote:

Patlal said:

Quote:

Patlal said:

Lol coming from the starter of the "mans man" thread.

--------------------
FREE BURKE

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]