Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
US Mid-Atlantic Finds
    #1813887 - 08/14/03 02:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to mushroom hunting and just started looking around the neighborhood here recently. These three looked interesting but I am just not sure about id ing them.

The best I can tell about this first one is that it is some sort of Bolete, what my book, Mushrooms by Laessoe and Lincoff, calls a Bay Bolete (Boletus badius) which they say is edible. The mushroom does not give the blue staining on bruised pores however and is not quite as dark as the picture in the book. Any help?

This next one looks like what Laessoe and Lincoff call a Fly Amanita (Amanita muscaria). They say, "Although used in minute amounts by native people in Siberia for shamanic purposes, this mushroom is poisonous if eaten in larger quantities."

The stem coloration on this last one is not dipicted in any of the photos in the book.

I guess I should read up on taking prints and show those too when asking for help.

Thanks for whatever advise/info you can offer, particularly on the Bolete and the muscaria.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: farfelu]
    #1813897 - 08/14/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

nice pics. yes thats a fly aminita. gj on the find.. You plan to experiment with that? the others I thinka re boletes.. Well at least #1 is for sure.

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: whole9]
    #1814237 - 08/14/03 03:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

nice pics. yes thats a fly aminita. gj on the find.. You plan to experiment with that?

Thanks whole9. I wouldn't even think about experimenting unless I was sure about id ing the thing. And when they say, "... this mushroom is poisonous if eaten in larger quantities," I wonder what they mean.

edit: here's another aminita muscaria(?) still in the ground not far from where the other one was:

edit #2: also, there's a bunch of what looks like the Amanita Muscaria VAR. Formosa around here. Any info on the usefulness/edibility of the Formosa variety?

Edited by farfelu (08/14/03 04:28 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1815133 - 08/14/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

From what I've heard...
Amanita Muscaria var. formosa= vomiting and nausea.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1815152 - 08/14/03 08:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I would hold off on that amanita.... Yes it does seem to be an amanita but as to being a muscaria... "the yellowish stem does not agree"..but may possibly be an amanita caesaria...As you will learn amanita is a very big genus with many species and id'ing them is tough...
Don't take my opinion as gospel.. As I am fairly new to this game..

The first picture of the bolete may even be a boletus edulis, "the king bolete", It looks close with the fat base of the stem and the "reticulation", at the top near the pores. But I'm not sure if the stipe gets that dark or not..also not staining is a good sign, I think... If it is you scored a great find first time out..

The last could be boletus auripes, "the yellow bottomed bolete", I don't know anything about it,, but fits the description from the picture supplied.. although the cap looks sort of light.. also I don't know what area you found them in.. so I am probably wrong.... Oh well. won't be the first time....

What do you guys think??????????

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (08/14/03 08:38 PM)

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: nofind_um]
    #1816238 - 08/15/03 06:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks nofind_um and GumbyDude. I will certainly not be eating anything I find on my own for some time however tempting. :smile:

Just to add some info:

Habitat: On the edges of a mostly oak forest with hickorys and tulip poplars.

Spore Prints: The possible bolete print looks brownish tho there wasn't much of a print after sitting overnight.

The possible muscaria print looks white (or transparent on white paper).

And what nofind_um calls a possible "the yellow bottomed bolete" gives a brown spore print.

The possible muscaria is the only one with any odor to it, slightly musky with a hint of a mushroomy smell.

Whatever anyone can add here would be appreciated. Particularly regarding Laessoe and Lincoff's statement on muscaria, "... this mushroom is poisonous if eaten in larger quantities." And what was the syberian shamanic practice with the muscaria that they mention?   

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1816681 - 08/15/03 11:07 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Here is our possible Amanita muscaria (above) one day later:

And around this one are others, all with a distinctive, musky, mushroomy smell:

It sure would be interesting to know if there was some way to enjoy/experience these beauties.

Edit: Here they are yet another day later:

The amanita listing at entheogen.com:

http://www.entheogen.com/amanita2.html

The pictures in the entheogen.com article are of a west coast variety. The stems look quite different from the ones I've found here. Will keep looking.

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1959551 - 09/28/03 11:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1959712 - 09/28/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

http://pluto.njcc.com/~ret/amanita/species/parcivol.html looks more like this. I don't think that is fly agaric. Pretty mushroom though.

The first bolete looks like some kind of Tylopilus, but we'll need more information to make a good guess at species. Does it taste bitter? Take asmall peice and taste and spit it out. Does the flesh bruise? Cut open with knife and rub the blade lightly against the surface of the mushroom.

Nofind um it does look like king bolete but the pores are ussually showing some yellow when king boletes are that mature.

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: falcon]
    #1959795 - 09/28/03 01:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

falcon said:
http://pluto.njcc.com/~ret/amanita/species/parcivol.html looks more like this. I don't think that is fly agaric. Pretty mushroom though.

The first bolete looks like some kind of Tylopilus, but we'll need more information to make a good guess at species. Does it taste bitter? Take asmall peice and taste and spit it out. Does the flesh bruise? Cut open with knife and rub the blade lightly against the surface of the mushroom.

Amanita parcivolvata, "Ringless False Fly Agaric" sure looks like what we have here. Thanks for the link. I will taste and test for bruising next time I see one of those possible Tylopilus'. The images here are from a month or so ago.

Thank you for your reply. Very helpful.

Here's another September '03 shot of some the possible parcivolvata that we have around here:

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1959854 - 09/28/03 02:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice pictures.

Fly agaric rarely grows with oaks, I've found it twice when it was.
It is ussually found with pines.

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: falcon]
    #1959933 - 09/28/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yes that is a parcivolvata- always can tell by sucha yellow stem- they are inactive. Nice pics though. Don't eat the parcivolvata- I ate one one time along time ago and shit a lot. Who knows why but yuck!

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1960229 - 09/28/03 04:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

there is a lot of info pertaining to the various fly agarics here in this forum. although many people will recomend eating them, and some prople enjoy it, verry few people who actualy have will do so.

none of the staff recomend it. the experience is not a pleasant, recreational one. there is a rescent thread by TM that bears looking into. i am not sure if it had been added to the faq yet.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1960316 - 09/28/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i agree on the Amanita parcivolvata. there are quite a number of red Amanita species that are similar to A. muscaria at first glance. the features that stand out for it are the concentric rings on the base of the stem, the white volval patches AND stem and underside, although the lamellae can turn dingy tan in age, and a nice white ring. :smile: in poland, Amanita muscaria is associated always with birch. very interesting find. wakatapika.

that does look very much like a tylopilus. it is possible that it could be a gyroporus of the gyrodontaceae. the characteristics of that genus are usually a semi-hollow stem near the base at least in age, usually yellow or yellow-brown spore print (lighter than olvie-brown and brown as for Boletus), and a usually non-reticulate and non-textured stem. the gills are often similar to boletus related to B. edulis in the coloration as it relates to age.

tylopilus species are larger in size overall than gyroporus and have light buff to pinkish to red-brownish to sometimes light brown with almost no reddish tones spore deposits. they never bruise blue and sometimes bruise a color similar to their spores. a neat fact: according to James Kimbrough of the U of F, 16 of 18 of all Tylopilus species have been found in Florida.

therefore: your top bolete looks very much like a Tylopilus (including the color of the mature gills being pinkish) and i would question the authenticity of your brownish spore print. if the tubes bruised pinkish when handled i would have leaned to Tylopilus ferrugineus. the coloration is identical and proportional and the size also. the spore print would have been hazel-brownish to red brown, so now that i look at this it could have very well been this species.
tadah.   

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Re: US Mid-Atlantic Finds [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1960407 - 09/28/03 05:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Bravo MagmaManiac and thanks. The next time I see one of these possible Tylopilus' I shall take a closer look and get a good picture of the print.

And thank you too falcon, buddhathehut and concretefeet. I will not be consuming the Amanitas in this area.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies