Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Seedling Troubles for a Newbie Grower...
    #1958139 - 09/27/03 09:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

A friend of mine has been growing a few plants (Ganja) for the last few weeks, the largest sprouted on the 12th, and things were going alright. He told me he tried using the ?Super-cropping? technique on a couple of them. I believe he said something about pinching the stem so the inner part breaks and repairs itself, which is suppose to strengthen the stem.

The problem is, now the plants keep leaning over, some more then others. Every time I see him water them he has to spend 10 minutes messing around with them just to get them to stay straight up, but they aren't broken on the outside. They seemed to bend right at the soil.

He even made a makeshift crutch for 2 of them so they wouldn?t fall completely over. Is there anything he can do to keep his plants from leaning so much?

Currently he has them in small clear plastic cups. At what point should the plants be transferred to a larger container?

He also told me he was having trouble with drainage. He drilled a small hole into each of the cups and placed them on a wire rack. The only problem is that there are large gaps between the wires which sometimes causes the cups to tilt into the spaces. How could he make a tray that is actually effective?

Other then that there were a couple that had just a tiny bit of yellow on the ends of the leaves, and a leaf or two looked almost distorted but I told him not to worry about it. What do you guys think?

Many thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineUrbanistiC
Hmm....
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: Seedling Troubles for a Newbie Grower... [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #1958898 - 09/28/03 04:15 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

First off, Go to this site... very informative in this field.  :stash:OverGrow :spliff:

The pinching tek was done at the wrong time and sounds to me like it was done too hard.

All you need for strenghening a stem is a nice little fan. And to strenghen more, you should top the plant after it reaches its 3rd set of splits. When the 4th comes up, top it. Definitely go yo Overgrow, its a very good resource. 

--------------------
Keep it ReaL.

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Seedling Troubles for a Newbie Grower... [Re: UrbanistiC]
    #1958910 - 09/28/03 04:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Fuck breaking the stem, just tell him to put a PC fan on it, that works great.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Re: Seedling Troubles for a Newbie Grower... [Re: Cubieman420]
    #1959433 - 09/28/03 12:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

What do you mean by "Topping" the plant? Two of them are on their 3rd set of leaves, should he transplant them from their small plastic cups?

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: Seedling Troubles for a Newbie Grower... [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #1959554 - 09/28/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The reason there falling over, is because of ventilation. You need a fan on them from the very start, that blows them sideways. For the first 3 weeks or so you need to give them NO nutes, just put them in plain soil. Toping is done to make 2 main growth stems, But is not nessassary, and makes the plants yeild smaller in the end.

Offlinegtivr6mk4
dankaholic

Loc: earth
Re: Seedling Troubles for a Newbie Grower... [Re: resin]
    #1959837 - 09/28/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

the fan is a good suggestion.... all types of plants require good air circulation to be their healthiest. In addition, the fan will force the stems to grow stronger/thicker in order to support the gental swaying that comes with the moving air.

A general pot/plant size rule is 3gal/1ft in soil and 1gal/1ft for hydro. When space is limited you could go w/o changing to bigger pots in order to slow down their growth.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden