Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Re: The Shroomery is Dead
    #195778 - 02/08/98 06:14 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

If you really think that *anything* you do on the 'net is truly anonymous, you need to wake up. Every time you connect to a server, your IP is sent out to that server.

As far as safety in hypothetical posts, that is the *only* way that you can safely post anything anywhere on the net. Being underage make little difference these days as far as laws are concerned.

And for the last time, I didn't destroy the Experimentation station. I disabled it. All the posts are still there, and I will be puting it back up READ-ONLY version of the old board in the next few days. In case you haven't noticed, there's a new ES up now.

Every single entheogen-related board has a disclaimer at the top about not posting about ongoing or planned illegal activities. Not only does hypothetical wording protect the poster, but it also protects the Webmasters, and the server owners.

I personally don't mind if people like you leave. There's no way that the mature, knowledgable members will leave just because there have been a few changes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#195780 - 02/08/98 06:29 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

I do not see why The Shroomery's various message boards cannot be kept truly anonymous. If the Lycaeum's httpd is set up to not log connections (which it had BETTER be), and the board scripts don't permanently record anything related to a user ID except the associated password (again, something that should be so), AND the cookies are stored on the user's local hard drive, AND the personal info doesn't have to be real, where's the problem? There should be no way to tie a particular person to a particular username, unless someone managed to put a packed sniffer on all of the Lycaeum's incoming and outgoing traffic. To do this, they'd have to convince the Lycaeum's connection provider to let them sniff right off of one of their routers - very unlikely.

Anonymous

#195781 - 02/08/98 09:00 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

The is *no* lack on anonymitiy with the new message boards. I'm not saying that the Lycaeum server logs IPs, cuz it doesn't. I'm just saying that it's always *possible* for someone to know that you yourself have logged onto a server.

I can gurantee that the new board does not log IP addresses or anything of that sort. I asked the writer himself to be sure. Didn't want there to be another scare like there was witht the last board.

And you're right, all that is *very* unlikely. I'm just trying to express the fact that anonymous isn't as anonymous as most people think.

Anonymous

#195782 - 02/09/98 09:15 AM (26 years, 1 month ago)

I disagree with all this fire being spat out.

Before, anyone could post a message as "Ska_Maria" or anyone else, with information that could get people in serious legal trouble. I think this is much SAFER for experienced growers than the old way. Log Ons are not traced, checked, and are completely anonymous. They do no harm here as long as you don't mind a one-time 10 minute effort.

Second, This webpage is not a government. It is somebody's own computer. I don't go into someone else's house and say "how dare you take down your christmas tree without getting my permission?" There aren't fuzzy dice on my rear-view mirror because those I carpool with want it. I used to run an old-style BBS in the late '80s, and I know the kind of effort (and often money) that goes into this sort of thing. What somebody wants to do with his/her own computer is their decision. If you don't like it, start your own site.

I mostly like the new format. It is MUCH faster to scroll through without all that clicking. I only have 1 suggestion, though: I liked those icons from before..smiley face, angry face, question mark...they were a nice touch.

-HC

Anonymous

#195783 - 02/08/98 10:38 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you Hillary. It's good to know that SOMEONE got my point. Give Billy boy my love.

Anonymous

#195784 - 02/09/98 02:06 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

First of all, re anononymity: No one in their right mind would connect directly from a system identified with them to a server to post discussions of their major felonies. That's why for all the noise, usenet still got the heavy signals over time, because people could readily use tools to create a reasonably safe level of anonymity. With the old board, this was still possible. With the first version of this new board it was NOT possible. However, now that you've added the no-javascript version, it is again possible to connect with a modicum of safety, so I now longer have an issue with this new board.
As for the Lycaeum logging IPs: I don't believe that the Lycaeum logs IPs, but that's all it is- my BELIEF. In the real world, people with real lives to lose DON'T trust their freedom to cyberspace figures they don't know. Also, from what I've seen Andy is a great guy, but I've seen enough technical mixups with the original nymserver and the Lycaeum to know that HE IS HUMAN, so one's anonymity could be compromised at any time. Finally, even if the Lycaeum is perfectly secure and perfectly run today, TOMORROW it may be legally commandeered by the feds at we wouldn't know a thing about it.
To whoever said that the Shroomery residents have no right to tell the webmasters how to run things. Well, no...I guess we don't. But then what "right" did Ythan have to grab all sorts of work by other people to create the original shroomery? Furthermore, how do you know how much of that material was written BY ME?? How do you know how much of the most relevant information on the boards was contributed BY ME??
Even if in fact I've done nothing for the Shroomery, the fact remains that the way the events of the past few weeks were handled by Ska Maria and perhaps others was childish and arrogant in the extreme. He basically said, and continues to say, "Fuck You" to all of us who don't agree with this iron-handed administration. Not to say that I haven't sympathized with him in much of this- the original flames about the lack of updates were way out of line, and all the infantile flames that followed would have annoyed me were I in his place. But the MATURE thing to do would have been to delete the worst flames while soliciting feedback about what to do and defending my position about changes. I can only hope that Ska is big enough to step back and realize that he has greatly exacerbated a minor situation. Rise above the juvenile nonsense of the teenagers who predominate on this site, and you can restore the spirit that made Ythan's creation so special.

Anonymous

#195785 - 02/09/98 06:21 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

The only "Fuck you"s I have are for those people who flame or leave suggestions that don't really help anything, ie. Those people who post things like "This board sucks!" because they can't control their fear of change, and general paranoia of The Man breaking down their door to bust them for that little aquarium with mushrooms growing in it.

I have no problem with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. 9/10 of the criticism I get is DE-constructive though. I welcome all suggestions, in any form. Just as long as they're respectful.

Ythan's "right" to collect all this information together is called "public domain", meaning that anyone can collect it together. He didn't go telling those people who wrote the stuff that they shouldn't have changed this sentance, or that word just because he prefers it a certain way. I won't speak anymore about Ythan, because he isn't here to tell his story.

Why is the Non-Java version of the board any more anon. than the Java version?

What's your point about not knowing how much you're contributed to the board? I don't see how that should matter at all. And what does that have to do with *me*?

Anonymous

#195786 - 02/09/98 07:29 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

OK, now I'm really irritated. Don't make assumptions about people, saying we don't like change cuz we don't like your damn board. Why even ask for an email address if you don't need it? I honestly thought that I wouldn't be able to post without a verifiable email addresss... by using a fake one, I thought my post would be deleted.
For all the criticism YOU throw out, Ska, you really should spend that time thinking about how you handle adversity. Personal attacks toward people who are voicing their opinion on a SUGGESTION forum is not going to do a bit of good. We don't post here to have you argue with us and nitpick our posts. We are trying to persuade you folks to try what we feel is a better way, or just want to express our opinion for another reason. I for one claim the former.

Anonymous

#195787 - 02/21/98 07:33 PM (26 years, 1 month ago)

people, new like me, just don't know. I'm dead.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder