Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineHalluciNate
Trippage! / Loving
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ALL THAT IS
Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: theonlysun81]
    #19576704 - 02/16/14 07:31 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
neither is the organic method, it was already stated earlier that even
organic crops require pesticides, well, the problem with organic pesticides
is that they tend to cause more damage than engineered pesticides because
they arent as selective in what insects they kill

1 billion pounds of pesticides are dumped onto non organic produce each and every year.

Those pesticides can lead to a number of diseases.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
what is 'hyper consumption'? what evidence do you have that animal proteins
lead to poor health, it's well known that animal proteins are important to
good health, the only people claiming otherwise tend to be animal rights
activists and vegans/vegetarians... and before you start claiming that we
can get all we need from plant sources, sure, in theory it's true, in
practice it's far from it, logistically, 80%+ of the population would be
unable to get what's needed to sustain good health

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

See Hyperconsumerism

The problem isn't necessarily the meat itself, but how often it is consumed and the practices put into place to fulfill that want.

Meat used to be a delicacy. A side rather than a main dish.

Humans survived from foraging off the land, and the consumption of animals was celebrated with the meat of the freshest kill.

In today's domesticated animal farmed world, that celebration has lost its flare.

Anyone can walk into McDonalds and buy a Big Mac. See st1llnox

He could portray to you the type of people who eat that.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
grass produces more methane that livestock

:facepalm:

You're missing the point here.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
the jury is still out on climate change

Methane is a relatively potent green house gas.

When unbalanced levels of methane are released into the atmosphere (cow farts) without necessary amounts of chlorine to match it, the methane is quick to react to the ozone in the atmosphere. Inevitably destroying it.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
according to whom and why exactly is that?

According to our own nature of existence.

"Tigers or lions who eat meat have an acid-based digestive systems. Our Hydrochloric Acid isn’t strong enough to fully digest meat."~How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
engrained into our culture? it's in our species, even the vedics, well
known for not eating animal products actually consume animal products, the
yogurt, cheese and milk they consume comes from dairy, it contains many of
the proteins needed for good health and of course is an animal product

Yes, ingrained into our culture.

When you flip the switch on your tellmewhattothink-o-vision, all you see is pictures of humans consuming dead animal flesh.

It's ironic because the individuals "they" portray on screen are usually young, fit, healthy actors/actresses who look nothing like the audience they are trying to reach.

So we are given the impression that this is alright, and that everything is OK. When the reality proves to be far from it.

There's a large gap between dairy and dead meat.

But what it ultimately boils down to is the freedom of choice.

I'm glad I have the freedom to decide what goes into my mouth.

Being a person who has experienced both lifestyles I can honestly testify that once I excluded meat from my diet my health and overall well being has increased tremendously.

My question for you Pris is: Have you even tried it?:shrug:

Have you tried or heard of juicing?

What's keeping you shackled in your old methods?

Fear of change maybe? Or fear of being called a new ager?

Once you stop caring what other people think of you can you truly be set free from your prison. And who knows, you might even like it. :biggrin:

--------------------
We are here to assist, to teach you to evolve as we go through this process together. We give our own version of things only to bring you to a higher consciousness. No matter what situation you find yourself in, it is the power of your thoughts that got you there. It is also the impeccable belief that thought creates that will transform your experience and the planetary existence.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: s240779]
    #19576748 - 02/16/14 07:41 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Da2ra said:

Doug Graham. Grain Damage: Re-thinking the High Starch Diet

Download

Woah. What book is that?
Nvm just found the title in your post

Edited by topdog82 (02/16/14 07:41 PM)

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: s240779]
    #19576771 - 02/16/14 07:46 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Da2ra said:
Quote:

Humility said:
To gain muscle mass while not eating meat (vegetarian, not vegan) perhaps the best food I've found thusfar is strained yogurt.  Whether this be greek yogurt, skyr or yogurt cheese (in order of least to most viscus), pressing out the whey in the yogurt means that an already protein high version of milk is made higher and higher.  I really like to mix yogurt cheese, very thickly trained with organic peanut butter and nuts and eat it as a high protein meal.

Eating this you can easily get comparable levels of protein as from meat, often higher.  You will unarguably receive a better nutrient profile than with chicken breasts.

:rolleyes:

You don't know what the hell you're doing. Eat high quality whey, such as this (read why it's better); spare the commercial yogurt: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/upgraded-whey/

Peanut butter?

Perils of Peanuts and Peanut Butter… Even Organic
What's On My Food :: Pesticides on Peanut Butter
Andrew Weil, M.D.: Perplexed About Peanuts?

Spirulina and chlorella are said to be the most digestible forms of protein, and they're complete protein too.

Lol well I feel now we get into science wars. I saw an article that said avacado's are horrible for you
And then there is the whole atkins arguement. A diet based on saturated fat and meats
And then there is the whole vegan arguement. Which states that milk is horrible for you

At the moment I use this as a guideline:
http://www.nithyayoga.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=54&Itemid=159
Emphasis on the word "guideline". Not rulebook

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: theonlysun81]
    #19576782 - 02/16/14 07:49 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ganjasmuggler said:
If done correctly organic farming could produce as much food if not more than we have today sustainably. I will expound later when I am not on a tablet but check out the book the omnivores dillema by Michael pollan.

I have read his book. But it has been quite a while. And I feel like that statement in your post is innately false. Because the food industry would do it if it were as efficient. Correct?

Once again, WHY have cows knee deep in thier own manure if it is as efficient as free roaming?
Quote:

Da2ra said:
And the real question is is living on factory farmed chickens sustainable, health-wise. No, it isn't.

Analysis of the fat content of a factory farmed chicken -- type of fat and quantity:

That entire thing is about 50 minutes. I would love to watch it but I dont have the time. I skipped through and watched 3 minutes here and there. Seems pretty eye-opening
Quote:

theonlysun81 said:
The problem isn't that we have problems sustainably achieving maximum yields. Using farming methods that have fed parts of the world for thousands of years certain parts of the world could generate enough grain to feed the entire world. We have enough food to feed the entire world.

The problem is that we through out something like 3/4ths of the food we produce, mostly due to rot because preservatives give us cancer so we don't use them and a lot of food rots before it gets to its destination. Also a lot of food just rots as it sits on shelves. Food just gets thrown out. It doesn't matter whether or not you use organic or conventional, just on some level, in some places, it is impossible to get quality food to in an affordable way.

If we want to succeed in the face of the food crisis, large areas of urban areas are going to have to converted from vacant lots into urban farms. And I'm not talking about remediating the land to farming (I mean obviously you want to remediate toxic land but it is costly), I'm talking about roofs that go unused, the sides of buildings that do nothing but radiate heat. Medians, vacant lots, random planters, etc.  In apartment basements, there could be hydroponics that grow food for the building. This would offset a lot of the demands that are put on the farming industry, lower carbon emmissions as trucks wouldn't need to truck food in from across the country to the inner city.

So local farming is the answer to all this? Is it really that simple lol?

InvisibleFrozenHappiness
Professional Cereal Box

Loc: Nagoon Lagoon
Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: topdog82]
    #19577003 - 02/16/14 08:32 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Once again, WHY have cows knee deep in thier own manure if it is as efficient as free roaming?

The industry continues to use factory farming techniques because it is convenient and profitable, but it is by no means efficient. You can't raise healthy animals in such abysmal conditions, and sick animals require all kinds of medical inputs like antibiotics, and anti-parasitics to ensure they don't die before the harvest and can still put on weight. Free roaming is by far more efficient because the animals are healthier and require less total attention, but each cow requires MUCH more land than is given cows raised in an industrial setting. Also, grass fed cows put on weight slower than grain fed cows. So, having less cows that need more land, and put on weight less quickly doesn't appeal to industrial farmers whose main objective is to produce as much as possible as quickly as possible.

Quote:

Yes and no.

Local farming is a big step in the right direction, but ultimately it is our cultural attitude that is unsustainable. Consumer culture has us addicted to convenience. We want the foods that we want no matter where it comes from, or what season it is, and we want that food cheaply. Until this aspect of our culture has  shifted I don't think the majority of us as westerners will embrace local farming.

--------------------

Offlinetheonlysun81
Long Time Lurker, Recent Member
 User Gallery

Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: topdog82]
    #19578621 - 02/17/14 07:57 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

topdog82 said:
Quote:

ganjasmuggler said:
If done correctly organic farming could produce as much food if not more than we have today sustainably. I will expound later when I am not on a tablet but check out the book the omnivores dillema by Michael pollan.

I have read his book. But it has been quite a while. And I feel like that statement in your post is innately false. Because the food industry would do it if it were as efficient. Correct?

Quote:

Da2ra said:
And the real question is is living on factory farmed chickens sustainable, health-wise. No, it isn't.

Analysis of the fat content of a factory farmed chicken -- type of fat and quantity:

That entire thing is about 50 minutes. I would love to watch it but I dont have the time. I skipped through and watched 3 minutes here and there. Seems pretty eye-opening
Quote:

theonlysun81 said:
The problem isn't that we have problems sustainably achieving maximum yields. Using farming methods that have fed parts of the world for thousands of years certain parts of the world could generate enough grain to feed the entire world. We have enough food to feed the entire world.

The problem is that we through out something like 3/4ths of the food we produce, mostly due to rot because preservatives give us cancer so we don't use them and a lot of food rots before it gets to its destination. Also a lot of food just rots as it sits on shelves. Food just gets thrown out. It doesn't matter whether or not you use organic or conventional, just on some level, in some places, it is impossible to get quality food to in an affordable way.

If we want to succeed in the face of the food crisis, large areas of urban areas are going to have to converted from vacant lots into urban farms. And I'm not talking about remediating the land to farming (I mean obviously you want to remediate toxic land but it is costly), I'm talking about roofs that go unused, the sides of buildings that do nothing but radiate heat. Medians, vacant lots, random planters, etc.  In apartment basements, there could be hydroponics that grow food for the building. This would offset a lot of the demands that are put on the farming industry, lower carbon emmissions as trucks wouldn't need to truck food in from across the country to the inner city.

No, not local farming, urban farming. A lot closer than local farming.

--------------------

OfflineHalluciNate
Trippage! / Loving
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ALL THAT IS
Re: Is the organic food industry sustainable? [Re: theonlysun81] * 1
    #19609916 - 02/23/14 08:22 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I think I'll just leave this right here...

:wink:

--------------------
We are here to assist, to teach you to evolve as we go through this process together. We give our own version of things only to bring you to a higher consciousness. No matter what situation you find yourself in, it is the power of your thoughts that got you there. It is also the impeccable belief that thought creates that will transform your experience and the planetary existence.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale