Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucid_Pupil
Female

Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk *DELETED*
    #19551930 - 02/11/14 11:12 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Lucid_Pupil

Reason for deletion: N/A

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: Lucid_Pupil]
    #19552058 - 02/11/14 11:52 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:nojustno:

Ripping holes in the sub and filling them with water is a terrible idea. Presenting them as a good idea is even worse. This thread sucks.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #19552112 - 02/11/14 12:08 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You put weights on your sub? No need really to submerge a bulk sub. Just float it and rinse off the top. Simple. I have never had to dunk a bulk sub before the second flush anyway. Sounds more like you need to get your field capacity correct and your chamber dialed in if your running out of water that soon :shrug:

Edited by Pastywhyte (02/11/14 12:20 PM)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: Lucid_Pupil]
    #19552153 - 02/11/14 12:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not going to knock it. Stick with whatever works for you! :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: FooMan]
    #19552414 - 02/11/14 01:31 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I had a similar idea with watering steaks for plants. The things your screw a 20 oz bottle of water into, turn upside down and then stake your plant.

If anyone remembers that thread, it didn't work. The stakes were to narrow, even after modification, to be effective at any kind of gravity induced watering; the mycelium just never absorbed any of it.

That water in your holes is not necessarily being completely absorbed either. It could be a combination of absorption and evaporation I'd say. Also isnt standing water a contamination hazard?

Edited by MaJiK_420 (02/11/14 01:32 PM)

InvisibleGorlami
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: MaJiK_420]
    #19554836 - 02/11/14 10:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MaJiK_420 said:

That water in your holes is not necessarily being completely absorbed either. It could be a combination of absorption and evaporation I'd say. Also isnt standing water a contamination hazard?

I'd say having holes punched in the substrate isn't helping against contaminations either. :shrug:

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: Gorlami]
    #19555081 - 02/11/14 11:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MaJiK_420 said:
That water in your holes is not necessarily being completely absorbed either. It could be a combination of absorption and evaporation I'd say.

Put a glass of water in high humidity environ and see how quickly it evaporates.  Not quickly.

Quote:

MaJiK_420 said:
Also isnt standing water a contamination hazard?

No.
Maybe isolated water that's allowed to become stagnant over a long period of time without exchange in containment that isn't cleaned.

Quote:

whalechunks said:
I'd say having holes punched in the substrate isn't helping against contaminations either. :shrug:

Likely wouldn't hurt much. But it could.

This MIGHT would be an okay idea if something to form the holes were placed into the substrate at spawning, instead of damaging the completed healthy block.
But it's doubtful it would be much worth it when you can just dunk it (especially if you can do so while conserving the water) or pour water around it for it to soak up.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: Violet]
    #19555491 - 02/12/14 01:06 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

This is a method I have heard of using on cakes using a straw as a reservoir. If I remember correctly RR said something like it is fine to do this as long as you don't over do it because it will water log the substrate that's not a quote I'm just working from memory here.

I think I would use some sort of tube as a reservoir as to not damage the sub too much but sounds good. Good luck though.:thumbup:

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Offlinenitten
GalaxyCat
 User Gallery

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: gizmo1]
    #19555577 - 02/12/14 01:43 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

This sounds kinda brutal, but seems like it saved the day for you at the time  :dancer:

Sure I've read somewhere on this forum about people injecting cakes with water on occasion, can't remember why, or if it was frowned upon...but maybe doing something similar would improve this method?

--------------------
~nitten~

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: nitten] * 1
    #19556106 - 02/12/14 06:07 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Don't drill holes in your substrate.  Air doesn't circulate well down there and it will lead to molds later, much as people who used to stick a straw in their cakes found out.

Simply pour some water around the edges of the tray so it can run under and slightly lift the substrate, and then pour off any excess an hour or two later.  You're not supposed to dunk bulk substrates, and certainly don't put a weight on them as if they were small cakes.  Bulk substrates usually fully hydrate in an hour or so.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleLucid_Pupil
Female

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: Violet]
    #19559189 - 02/12/14 08:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You're not supposed to dunk bulk substrates. RR

Lol alright then, I must have been reading about cakes this whole time when reading about dunking. :facepalm3: Unless people dunk them all the time and aren't supposed to. :shrug:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Simply pour some water around the edges of the tray so it can run under and slightly lift the substrate, and then pour off any excess an hour or two later.  RR

I'm assuming for monotubs, this procedure would be ideal as well?

Quote:

gizmo1 said:
I think I would use some sort of tube as a reservoir as to not damage the sub too much but sounds good. Good luck though.:thumbup:

Do you think it really hurt it that much? Other than the contamination risk, I mean. I only pushed in holes where there was overlay, so the "bald spots" (overlay) in the substrate wouldn't have grown anything anyway. I'm thinking it may just take a small bit of energy away from the growing process because it's spending it trying to reknit itself where the holes were pushed in. Other than that, I don't see how it would hurt it that bad, besides the contamination risk, which, yeah, could be pretty detrimental.

Quote:

Violet said:
This MIGHT would be an okay idea if something to form the holes were placed into the substrate at spawning, instead of damaging the completed healthy block.

Great idea! I'll have to try that out on my next grow. Not sure if it would absorb into the substrate as well, though. The mycelium on the inside walls of the hole might keep the water at bay, creating a stagnant pool of water. I've noticed this when I first started with jars. The water just sits there, while the myc slowly draws from the reservoir.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, but by pushing the hole into the substrate, it opened up the substrate to be colonized, instead of just the mycelium. If that makes sense. I know what you're thinking. Contamination Central. I haven't seen anything yet.

I'll tell you all if and when I see any contam.:thumbup: That way people can see the results-positives and negatives-of doing something like this.:wink:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19559233 - 02/12/14 08:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

A few years ago I had the bright idea to do some large commercial straw grows(oyster) with perforated pvc pipe buried through the substrates for aeration.  The idea was for air flow to prevent stagnation, and the pipes could be switched over to water to hydrate from within by changing valve position.

Unfortunately, the holes provided the perfect environment for molds to develop, and it was a massive fail.  Live and learn.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecrackacola
Big Daddy

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19564228 - 02/14/14 12:06 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I'm confused RR.  I've been told by serveral people to leave the liner on when rehydrating a monotub.  So... if you float it, then how the heck does water get through the liner?  Does just the running water hitting the top of the substrate take care of it?

--------------------
:mjk1:

FOR TRADE  <---- Check out my spores for trade!

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

Loc: slightly elevated from ea...
Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19564664 - 02/14/14 03:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

That's funny I was thinking the same thing RR said but not air just water after I read the original post. Glad he already tried it. Thanks RR forall your time and effort and sharing of info you've put in.

OfflineValyr
Con nulla non si fa nulla.

Re: Let's explore The Waterhole! - An Alternative to Dunking Bulk [Re: crackacola]
    #19564754 - 02/14/14 04:08 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

crackacola said:
I'm confused RR.  I've been told by serveral people to leave the liner on when rehydrating a monotub.  So... if you float it, then how the heck does water get through the liner?  Does just the running water hitting the top of the substrate take care of it?

I was wondering this too actually. What I came up with is this:

You pour the water inside of the liner. What Im gonna do is I have a 1/2" hole on one side of the bottom of my mono's. The side not corner. You can bend out the sides of your mono's which comes in handy later. After you float and hydrate just take the tape off the hole and let drain. The substrate has usually shrunk enough so that when combined with the "work area" you can generate by bending out the tub you can usually manage to tuck down the liner on the drainage side to allow for flow.

Opinions? Criticism's?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck