Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekoraks
Most recent finds (pics)
    #1954515 - 09/26/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all,

Got the photos of my finds from the lab this week. No thrilling finds, but some nice pics anyway. Well, here they come...

Agaricus, probably xanthoderma, found growing in some oak leaves under an oak tree.

Not an unusual find at all in these parts of the world, but still nice pics of some amanita muscaria

Some coprinus, I'd say atramentarius

ganoderma australe, I've been finding this species quite often lately.

Some species of the inonotus genus, I suspect.

Obviously a lepiota, probably cristana.

macrolepiota rachodes, listed as an edible, never tried it though.

psilocybe fascicularis in an early stage of development. Easy to id, also because of its very, very bitter taste (yuk!) Oh, btw, tasting is ok, but don't eat these. They're quite poisonous.

Some species of the inocybe genus. Closest match I can come up with is geophylla. I found these growing in my parents' lawn. If anyone wants to have a stab at properly id-ing it, you're welcome!

Probably some psathyrella species. Don't know what it is, exactly. Anyone?

And now for the completely unidentified mystery mushrooms:

Large mushrooms, flat cap. Dark gills. Entire mushroom liquifies, very much like coprinus species. Spores are very dark. Found these growing on a mound of old leaves and twigs. Smell was somewhat unpleasant. Reminds me of some agaricus species, but wasn't able to find a match.

Small specimens, found growing close to the mushroom above. Pink gills and pink spores (you can see them on one of the caps in the pic).

Rather small mushroom, nice colours. Spore print was very light-coloured, if I remember correctly, yellowish to white. Found these growing on fallen oak leaves and woodmulch.

Well, that's it for now, sure hope you enjoyed the pics!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Most recent finds (pics) [Re: koraks]
    #1954668 - 09/26/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Great photos and mushrooms!

That first one is an Agaricus? With the white gills, you must have gotten there when it was very young. The cap shape is a bit off for Agaricus xanthodermus, but it could be one of its close relatives.

Great photos of the Amanitas.

Coprinus atramentarius looks just like that here, too.

Nice Ganoderma and Inonotus.

Lepiota cristata is a possible ID. You really need to follow up with a microscope to be sure.

Apparently somebody decided last year that Lepiota rachodes should be transferred to Chlorophyllum. We'll see if the mycology community goes with it. It's certainly a weird thought. Don't forget to verify the bruising first, if you consider eating them. They should *not* bruise immediately brown. If they do bruise immediately brown, they are Lepiota brunnea which is considered poisonous.

An interesting Psilocybe.

For the Inocybes and Psathyrellas we need some microscope work to ID them. There are a few very distinctive Inocybes that we can look for without a microscope. Do they bruise (especially reddish - check the stem near the base)? What do they smell like?

Those deliquescing mushrooms look like an Agaricus, and an unpleasant smell suggests they are in the Xanthodermati, the poisonous ones.

Those pink spored guys are very interesting. They're probably either Entoloma or Nolanea. Unfortunately, I don't have any good references to either genus.

That last mushrooms looks a lot like Collybia dryophila.

Excellent post and photos!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #1954675 - 09/26/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

:cool: :heart: :blush: :laugh: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Offlinefloccopus
d-fractionated

Loc: valley
    #1954887 - 09/26/03 03:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

wow!
thanks for all the pictures!!!
you certainly are prolific...
i just wanted to say that i'm not sure your rachodes are rachodes.
my rachodes here in the willamette valle of oregon always look stouter, and something else looks wrong about them, how tall are they? did they bruise reddish pretty fast? rachodes are a pretty good edible, but MAN you should be sure before you eat...
hey, when did hypholoma/naematoloma get its new name?
did the big psilocybe switch happen yet?
peace

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1955192 - 09/26/03 04:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the shroomery has become the abode of Amanita muscaria, yet another beautiful picture.

for the Macrolepiota rachodes: are you sure it stains yellow-orange to read, especially in the flesh when it or the surface is scratched? is the basal bulb fairly defined, if so is it abruptly bulbous or more tapered-bulbous? Where do you live and what habitat was it found it?
from looking at it, it definately a M. rachodes, the staining and the basal bulb are key to confirm it. M. rachodes, the bleeding parasol or the the reddening macrolepiota, is very good edible, although it tends to be harder to digest than M. procera.

the mystery mushroom sure looks like an Agaricus, it can also be another agaricaceae however. alh the liquifying characterstic is odd. if you happened to take a specimen with you, do the toxic man routine. cut the mushroom in half scrape the flesh and check for bruising within the next five minutes, then leave it for an hour and check again. is there any enlargement in the base? also scratch the mushroom and check for odor of course.

for the other two, we will need more details, if you were interested.

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

#1955285 - 09/26/03 05:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, man !!

the Amanitas' pics are just awesome...
great ones ... thank you...

:shocked: 

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Most recent finds (pics) [Re: Hermes_br]
    #1956727 - 09/27/03 07:11 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, thanks for the nice replies guys!
As a token of my gratitude, please accept this beautiful flower :smile:

On the first mushroom: ToxicMan, you made me doubt if this is an agaricus. However, in my guide it says that agaricus xanthoderma has gill colours ranging from white to pink or gray-brown. The gill shot (second picture) of this mushroom actually shows what appears to be an older specimen, on which I'd expect to see darker gills, so that makes me doubt again... Unfortunately, in my guide there is no other species that matches my observations better than agaricus xanthoderma, that's why I ided it as that species.

On the macrolepiota mushroom: I'm pretty sure this is macrolepiota rachodes. The flesh bruises a reddish colour almost immediately after bruising. That's actually how I ided it to that particular species. This species appears to reach heights of about 10" with cap diameters of 6" where I found them. They were growing on fallen and partly composted (mostly oak) leaves.

On the inocybe: I noticed no bruising effects. I haven't been able to definitely pin it down to a particular species, nor will I (this year). I'm afraid that properly id-ing it will take some microscopic work (I don't have a microscope), so I'll have to be satisfied knowing that it's an inocybe of some sort. And hey, I can live with that :smile:. Btw, I posted that pic also because I can imagine that inexperienced hunters might mistake this mushroom for semilanceata, which could prove a deadly mistake. So whoever is listening: don't mistake this species (or any other inocybe) for semilanceata!

On the last (mystery) mushroom: funny you should mention collybia dryophila, I actually though this species matched my find pretty well too! The only thing I was unsure of was the cap colour. On the photo in my guide, the colours seem to be paller than on the specimens I found, but this could very well be a trick of the light. Otherwise it matches perfectly, so I think I'll go ahead and catalogue these photos under the name of collybia dryophila.

Again, thanks for the heartwarming replies! I'll post more pics as soon as I've found more interesting mushrooms :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1957202 - 09/27/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

On that first one, the white gills but older looking cap suggest it's either not an Agaricus or it's a sterile one. A spore print would be the next step in identifying it.

Inocybes cause poisonings from time to time, mostly when somebody mistakes one for something else. They're another reason that spore prints are so important.

On the Collybia, those guys are pretty variable in cap color. So the fact that it doesn't match a photo (or even a set of photos) isn't disturbing. The main lookalike is Collybia butyracea, which tends to have a slippery feeling (buttery) cap surface (more so than C. dryophila usually does), and it also tends to have a pinkish spore print.

Nice morning glory (I think - I'm not a very good botanist).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1957452 - 09/27/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the pink-spored once could be pluteus too, were they growing on wood? do you remember the gill attachment (pluteus are free)? entoloma have attached gills

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Most recent finds (pics) [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1957737 - 09/27/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

For that matter, they could also be Clitocybes, some of which have bright pink spores like that. In their case, the spore are smooth and not angular.

To even get to genus with that one we need to see the underside and possibly use a microscope.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Most recent finds (pics) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1958489 - 09/27/03 10:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i dont know, i dont really associate Clitocybes with that kind of cluster-growing but that is just a hunch. do Cliocybe have pink spores?

Invisiblekoraks
    #1959233 - 09/28/03 08:19 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm afraid we'll never know if the mystery shroom was pluteus, clitocybe or something else. At the moment I found it, I had almost run out of film. I took a specimen with me, but foolishly didn't document anything about it, other than that the sporeprint was bright pink.

ToxicMan: I'm afraid that with the agaricus-lookalike, we'll never know. Or maybe we'll find out next year. By now, the musrhooms in the patch I found have all rotten. However, on all specimens the gills stayed bright white right untill the end, which, I must agree, should tell us that they're not agaricus. The possibility that they're sterile is of course present, but insignificantly small, IMO.

Well, thanks again for all your replies. I really feel I'm learning a lot here, through discussion. Thanks all, and I'll undoubteldy post again soon!

OfflineHvnisaCap
journeyman
Loc: MIA
    #1959580 - 09/28/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey I went picking on Saturday. Field seems pretty dry I think I might have overpicked in the summer bc now I only find shrooms on one side of the field. Or maybe I was just late.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Most recent finds (pics) [Re: HvnisaCap]
    #1960201 - 09/28/03 04:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

that big cube just piled into this post from a side-street i couldnt even see it. very nice hefty cubes though.

Invisiblekoraks
    #1961796 - 09/29/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice cubies. You can see the weather's been dry; the mushrooms look a bit dried out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates