Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity
    #1954555 - 09/26/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"I think what made me so driven was that I always felt I wasn't good enough, smart enough, strong enough, that I hadn't accomplished enough."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger

I think that quotes like this made by prominent republicans reflect the conservative socio-economic strategy:

people dont work hard enough when they are happy. They need to be unsatisfied with their lives in order to have incentive to achieve more. Whether this entails the promotion of massive consumerism (bigger houses, new car every year, keeping up with the Joneses, etc) or the lowering of standards of living (inflation, nonliving wages, etc), its a key part of Republican socioeconomic strategy.

This is why Republicans promote "family values" and the excessive costs that go along with them. Marketing and Social constructs tell us that in order to have complete lives, we have to have families, wives, big houses and new cars.

I think this is also a big part of why drugs are illegal. Give me some pot, acid, and some relatively inexpensive electronics, and I'm happy. I dont need to make $100,000+ a year to meet these desires. But what does this do to an economy based in consumerism?

Happiness is the enemy of productivity. It brings stagnation. Dissatisfaction is the catalyst for change and higher productivity.

therefore, people with an interest in economic growth (investors, business owners, government employees whose pay depends on tax revenue) are enemies of happiness for the common man. They have an interest in creating artificial unhappiness.

anyway, these are just some random thoughts triggered by reading this quote. feel free to poke holes where you can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1954684 - 09/26/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Great observation! Puritanism is alive and well in America.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1954754 - 09/26/03 02:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You could prpbably get that published in some newspaper somewhere.

Probably Caleeforneeah.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1954773 - 09/26/03 03:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You've reminded me of a story from RAW's Shr?dinger's Cat Trilogy. 

In one of the stories, there's this alternate reality where a female scientist is elected President, and one of the first things she does is offer a government grant of about $60,000 per year to anyone who could invent themselves out of a job.  So anyone who could make a robot or machine that could do their job, was set with a nice wage for the rest of their life.  Also, she offered about $30,000 a year for life to all of the people put out of work by these inventions.

Within the space of a decade, most people are out of work and spending their time doing whatever they please, shopping, drugs, fucking, going on holidays etc...  The big industries are happy because they have robots working, making their products 24/7 and a whole population with money to burn.  Some people learn new jobs just so that they can invent themselves out of them and get more money.  There are still wage differences, but anyone can afford to go back to school and learn the skills for the jobs that still remain.  People who work now do so because they really want to, everyone else gets to do what they want and live comfortably.

I'm obviously paraphrasing and I've probably left out a lot of the details, but I've always been quite fond of that alternate reality. :smile: 

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1954860 - 09/26/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think I just found a new sig:

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: afoaf]
    #1955576 - 09/26/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

*sniff sniff*

thanks afoaf!

Before this, I've never been quoted by anyone! (unless you count police statements)

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #1955581 - 09/26/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"I think what made me so driven was that I always felt I wasn't good enough, smart enough, strong enough, that I hadn't accomplished enough."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger

But gosh darnet, people like him.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: Zahid]
    #1955585 - 09/26/03 07:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1955595 - 09/26/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You've got it right on.

Legalizing psychedelics would cause a massive shift in consciousness and values. They have a lot invested in us being nothing but consumers.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#1957436 - 09/27/03 02:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Have you read Jihad vs McWorld?

it's an interesting, though, at times, tedious
read that covers some of the topics you
just mentioned....namely the perpetual sense
of need and internal dissatisfaction that our
superconsumer society promotes.

it's pretty sickening...you're inundated with
the notion that you are free because you have
so many choices...but in actuality you really
have no choice.

you can pick a red car or a blue car, but there
is no choice between cars and alternative forms
of transport (no viable option, in most cases).

free because you can be a fireman or an
accountant but not really free when you realize
that there aren't any other options outside the
'45 year career then retire' type lifestyle that
we all wind up leading.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1957556 - 09/27/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You do have the option of starting your own business, and not working for anybody.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1958018 - 09/27/03 07:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

^^with what capital?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1958042 - 09/27/03 07:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Work and save.

Some people have started businesses with almost no capital.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#1958113 - 09/27/03 07:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save. Work and save.

Anonymous

#1958141 - 09/27/03 07:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

work is a part of life.

if someone chooses to spend their time here slaving away to buy useless, unnecessary consumer goods, that's their thing.

no one's making you do that. you have every choice of leading a simple, unpretentious life if you desire.

you seem to understand that you can't buy the important things, and the things you buy aren't important.

consider yourself fortunate.

but if you want to live, you will still have to work. and you'll still have to save.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #1958555 - 09/27/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
you can pick a red car or a blue car, but there
is no choice between cars and alternative forms
of transport (no viable option, in most cases).

i dont know where you live but, monotrail train plain subway go-kart sitdown lawnmover, etc hell even walking i dont see the limitation of choice

Quote:

afoaf said:
free because you can be a fireman or an
accountant but not really free when you realize
that there aren't any other options outside the
'45 year career then retire' type lifestyle that
we all wind up leading.

Thing generally have to follow a certain pattern with you get so general. When i see a movie a expect it to start and then end but just cuz i dont thats the only thign that gonna happen doesnt make it not free.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1958994 - 09/28/03 03:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You do have the option of starting your own business, and not working for anybody.

Yeah,and how many small businesses are sucessful in this day and age? I live 5 minutes from the capital of Buttfuck Egypt and there are hardly any small businesses.

Small internet start ups were a good solution a few years ago,but that's not the norm anymore.

I know work is a pretty essential thing (until we have robots doing it all for us anyway),but unless you get a total shit job,how much of that 9-5 is actual work? I've had jobs were I could have gotten all the work that had to be done the entire day done in an hour.Unfortunately,our so called efficient economy is bogged done in beucratic slowness.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1959044 - 09/28/03 03:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

excellent thread, Doc - have you read "Affluenza?"

From what you've written here, I think you'd REALLY enjoy the book.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: Strumpling]
    #1959387 - 09/28/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah,and how many small businesses are sucessful in this day and age? I live 5 minutes from the capital of Buttfuck Egypt and there are hardly any small businesses.

Yeah, that's what I like to call the "Sole Proprietorship Mythology".

How many sole proprietorships are left? I never seen any. All I see is corporate franchise.

"starting your own business" is rarely a viable option.

I used to work at Starbucks and It used to really amuse me how older people would come in and expect me to have the same enthusiasm as a proprietor/small business owner.

Them: "What drink do you reccomend?"
Me: "I reccomend that you drink water and let me finish the newspaper."
Them: "Well, you're not a very good salesman, are you?"
Me: "What incentive do I have to be a good salesman? You think this is my money? You think I give a shit wether you buy some coffee or not? Honestly, If you dont its less work for me. I still get paid the same. You think Starbucks is giving me commission? Profit share? You think they're gonna give me a promotion or a raise for a job well done? Go back to the 50's, old timer."

so many people think we're living in a capitalist nation they get so pissed when the rules dont apply.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1959783 - 09/28/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No wonder you're all failures.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1959807 - 09/28/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

LOL!

Nice one Doctor! I think the capitalists are convinced that everyone should care as much about their business as they do, even if they're the only ones making any money.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1960051 - 09/28/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I just happened to come across this video (quicktime) today, and it seemed fitting to this discussion. Let me know what you think.

http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_player.php?qVsYfsgNzgXd*

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: Edame]
    #1960102 - 09/28/03 03:47 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

pretty funny

I like the 'return to the ocean' metaphor

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: d33p]
    #1960202 - 09/28/03 04:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

weak.

you're missing the point.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1960283 - 09/28/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

maybe it was a weak point.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#1960298 - 09/28/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

maybe so, but he's still not rebutting the
intended point.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1960325 - 09/28/03 04:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What was it?

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dangling Carrots to Increase Productivity [Re: monoamine]
    #1960338 - 09/28/03 04:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah,and how many small businesses are sucessful in this day and age?

1 in 5. There are a number of trades that are profitable that you do not need to work for a company to be successfull at. You probably won't get rich, but you can do ok.

I know people that do sculpture/metalcasting and blacksmithing and are doing O.K.

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #1960512 - 09/28/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I guess you're that half empty guy, ehhh?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order