Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas?
    #1947430 - 09/24/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

A friend of mine innoculated 16 cakes using PF Tek on 08-24-2003. 10 Golden teachers, 5 CAM and 1 TAS. All of the cakes colonized nicely with no signs of contams. They were all dunked/coldshocked for 14 hours before birthing. The terrarium he has is composed of a Sterlite 2-drawer storage bin (2 clear drawers = 2 seperate terrariums in one unit). 1 Ultrasonic humidifier w/ H20 + 5-10% h2o2 is hooked up to 2 2-liters and then split off and fed into both terrariums. A small ($5) fish tank bubbler is fed into a polyfil filter and then split off into both terrariums (although he is still fanning 3 times a day). Both the humidifier and the air pump are running 24/7. The humidity ranges between 84% - 99% RH and the temp ranges from 74-78F. A flourescent desk lamp sits on top of the terrariums and is cycled 12 hours on 12 hours off. The top of the unit was removed and replaced with plexi-glass to make sure that light will reach both the top and bottom terrarium. There is no pearlite in the terrarium, only wire mesh to raise the cakes off the bottom and a drip shield. The cakes were birthed and all rest on their jar lids. No vermiculite was put on the cakes after birthing them. The 10 GT's were placed in the top terrarium (closet to the light). They are fruiting very nicely. The problem is that the 5 CAM and 1 TAS in the bottom terrarium are not showing any signs of pinning. The cakes actually look too dry. I told him to LIGHTLY mist the cakes with distilled water and then place a bottle of water into the bottom terrarium, and put the tubing coming from the air pump in the bottle to futher increase humidity. 3 days have past and no positive signs yet. Could this be due to the different strains? The conditions in both terrariums appear to be the same... any ideas what could be causing this? The cakes were all birthed 8 days ago. The mycelium isn't bright white and fluffy on the cakes in the bottom, but it is on the GT's in the top. Any help would be appreciated...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: Innernaut]
    #1947523 - 09/24/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post some pics. Different strains do have different tendencies and optimal conditions may vary some but not drastically. 8 days is not unheard of. Give it a little more time and see what happens. Good luck

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1947545 - 09/24/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm thinking that there are 2 possibilities.

1. Just a difference between strains. GT is known to be a good fruiter. CAM and TAS are a little less domesticated so they may just take a bit longer to fruit. BUT because you said your cakes look dry on the bottom, and I can personally say that tasmanians are no slow fruiter, I would point to the second possibility.

2. The air pressure coming out of the fish tank pump on the bottom level is probably much higher than on the top. It's just a lot easier for the air to come out of the bottom tube than travel uphill to the top. You may be bleeding your bottom chamber of humidity with too much air exchange. Fish tank pumps put out a lot more air than they seem to. Of course, bubbling the air through water first should solve this problem, which you just did. Give it a few more days and see what happens. Pics would help.

This is just a guess though. Your conditions all seem fine. I'm not really sure what is going on with your set up. I can say one thing though, there is absolutely no need to run a bright florescent light over your terrarium for 12 hours a day. Mushrooms only need light to initiate pinning and for direction. This takes VERY LITTLE light. Florescent lights are not good for (non-photosynthetic) living organisms at all. Experiments have been done where small animals living under florescent lights live less than half as long as those under normal sunlight. This can't be any good for shrooms either. There's all kinds of harmful shit they emit. If you insist on using the florescent light then 4 hours a day is PLENTY. This probably isn't causing your problems with the bottom terrarium though, since the ones closer to the light are growing fine, but I doubt that much light is helping your GTs at all.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineInnernaut

Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1947592 - 09/24/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thanks a ton for your help... I will post pics asap...

--------------------

OfflineInnernaut

#1952628 - 09/25/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ok.. Got over to my friends house and took an assortment of pictures that will hopefully be beneficial in determining the solution to the problem mentioned.

This is what his terrarium looks like. As you can see it has 2 drawers that act as independent terrariums. The thick tubes that
run into each drawer come from the same source, 1 US Humidifier w/ Two 2-liter bottles for condensation, pushing H20 + 5% h202. Picture Below.

The smaller tubing comes from the small $5 fishtank pump. The pump uses a filter (peanutbutter jar w/ polyfill. As I said before, The top chamber and bottom chamber have both been consistently 90-99% RH. Here is a picture of the cakes in the top chamber. These are all GT's and they seem to be doing fine... not great I don't think.. but fine.

Now here is the troubled bottom chamber. These are (5)TAS and
(1)CAM. They don't look right to me. I don't think they are contaminated, but i have little experience. It has been 10 days since they were birthed. Picture below.

Any idea's? Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineoOToadstoolOo
    #1952789 - 09/25/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm no experienced shroom grower but have U noticed that the bottom terrarium is recieving barely any light? I have read that lots of light isn't necessary but some believe it is very beneficial to have a few hours of light.

Maybe this has something to do w/ Y your bottom chamber isn't pinning as quickly though the humidity is at the right level....Just a thought.

I am curious how long is that light on for?

--------------------

OfflineoOToadstoolOo
Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: oOToadstoolOo]
    #1952799 - 09/25/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

^Sorry....I didn't see your first post or Demiurge's post but I still say maybe the light could possibly be affecting the amount of time it's taking to pin.

--------------------

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: oOToadstoolOo]
    #1953220 - 09/26/03 01:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

those bottom cakes look brusied thru drying...add a layer of wet perlite or hydroton to the terrarium for max humidity.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineInnernaut

Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: Hanky]
    #1954323 - 09/26/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thats what I was thinking... I don't understand the source of the dryness. I was tinking about it last night and something interesting popped up. If Co2 is heavier and air, and their is a dime sized hole in the bottom of the top terrarium, couldn't the co2 from he top terrarium be filling up the bottom terrarium? The humidity is stable at 99%... I will try the pearlite if neccessary... what do other people think?

--------------------

OfflineTheGanjaGorilla
Shiitake head

Loc: N.E. Indy
    #1955842 - 09/26/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was wondering about that CO2 build up thing myself. Where does the air line enter your fruiting chambers? If you have the air line(s) feeding the top of the chambers, try moving the end of the line(s) to the bottom of (each) chamber. Good luck.

--------------------
"Whateva I do what I want..." Eric Catman

"Whateva, I do what I want..." Eric Cartman

TheGanjaGorilla.

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: TheGanjaGorilla]
    #1955999 - 09/26/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i think you're onto something innernaut
if the co2 is in fact dripping down and accumulating in the bottom chamber, that would in fact count for the poor quality of the cakes.

someone might've mentioned it, but you might also wanna dunk and roll the bottom cakes that arent pinning/fruiting yet, theres still time imo.

and as hanky said, they are a bit blue, indicating lack of moisture.
the above would help with this
as would hankys suggestion of wet perlite

mainly i would work on the co2 theory first, fixing it, then immediately work on rehydrating.

if any light is reaching the bottom ones, then thats good, it should be sufficient to give the cake some directional guidance at the very least.
even a opaque glow of a diffused light thru plastic should be sufficient, as what looks like is happening in yours.

summary:
co2 theory, pump or drain it out someway
rehydrate via dunk and roll, or perlite
if after a couple days and no noticable improvement..
check lighting
check temperature and humidity in both chambers for discrepencies

good luck, and im wishing the bottom bin of cakes my best

-jb

--------------------

OfflineInnernaut

Re: One terrarium works, One doesn't, any ideas? [Re: dysphoria]
    #1957638 - 09/27/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, he dunked the cakes already (with the first ones).  He put some moist verm on the jar lids and then rolled the cakes in moist verm and sprayed lightly with h20+h202 solution.  Yesterday I noticed that two of the cakes started pinnning.  He plugged the hole that was potentially leaking c02 intot he bottom terrarium.  One (or all) of these things has proved to be very effective.  Not all have started, but a couple have... I beleive now the only hinderance is impatience.  I think the difference in strain could have had more to do with this situation than I think.  Newbie's are always so farking impatient :smile:  Thanks for all the help guys.  BTW:  I am most likely gonna have another picture post up soon involving two new 6-cake verm casings.  It's his first time casing... so you know how this goes :smile: 
sHR00MERy r0CKs!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom