Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepurity26
Stranger
Please, could someone ID this?
    #1953974 - 09/26/03 12:13 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Good Morning!

We live in a house that is about 100 yrs old.  Our basement isn't exactly typical in today's standards.  The walls are made of stone and the floor is NOW cemented....but I don't know when that was done.

The other day while I was doing some laundry, I noticed in a corner of the basement seldom used something on the floor.  I went to investigate and found these:

I am sorry the pic isn't the clearest, so I shall try to add as much info as possible.

When I first saw them, I thought they were bits of paper.  I looked a little longer, and then thought it was glue dried up.  But that was IMPOSSIBLE.

They are very thin.  They appear to not have any gills.  The stems are nearly non-existent.  However, I have no idea how deep they may be in the cracks.  The darker appearing ones I am assuming are older as they are, well darker and the edges have curled under the "caps". The edges are also crimped...like a seashell. There appears to be no consistancy to size or shape. However they all have what I would term a 'dimple' in the center of the cap. Another notable characteristic is that they seemed kinda jelly-ish.  At least looking at the 'newer' one, I got that impression.  I haven't actually gotten very close or touched them with bare hands as I don't know what they are! 

I am really hoping someone could help me with this. I know nothing about mushrooms, someone from another forum sent me a link here to see if perhaps someone would be able to identify them.

As for where I live, I live in Southern Manitoba, Canada.  The spot where these have sprouted in the basement is very damp.  When it rains, water pools there.  At this time of year, it is very cool down there right now.  Its very unusual to see mushrooms ANYWHERE right now....let alone in my basement!

I hope I've given enough info to help identify these alien things in my basement. 

Whatever else I can offer in the way of info....please let me know!

Thank you so much for helping me. :smile2: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Please, could someone ID this? [Re: purity26]
    #1953994 - 09/26/03 12:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Your description sounds like Peziza domiciliana, a cup fungus which turns up inside houses from time to time.

The edibility of this species is unknown, so they should not be eaten.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
    #1954004 - 09/26/03 12:28 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

There are a number of larger cup fungi (ascomycetes), that are quite common on damp mortar, wet cement cracks, etc., and are reported quite frequently from basement settings as you describe.  Morphologically, your description matches such fungi (your photo does too, although it is not as useful as your description), but does not allow identification to species.  Probably, you have found one of the more common ones, in the genus Peziza.  Peziza cerea is a good candidate and is often found in cellars, between paving stones, sandbags etc.  It is quite variable in size, and the edges crinkle, especially upon becoming dried.
hope this info is helpful  :smile: 

Offlinepurity26
Stranger
Re: Please, could someone ID this? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1954007 - 09/26/03 12:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well I'll be dog goned!

ToxicMan, do you ever know your shrooms! That picture looks alot like the 'aliens' in my basement!!

Finally I've got a name to go on! Thank you soooo much!

Oh, by the way...there is NO worry about my eating them! I was to afraid to even touch them! hehehehe!

Offlinepurity26
Stranger
    #1954022 - 09/26/03 12:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Pluteus,

Thank you for your response as well! I just looked the name of peziza
domiciliana up in google and got some more info on it.

PHEW! Nothing to get all panicked about.

Thank you both for your help!

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1954430 - 09/26/03 03:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just a story,, a year ago,, at my aunt's house I moved a rock,"the floor is made up of stones, so are the foundation walls", and there were like 10 mushrooms growing in the space,, at the time I just trashed them,, and put the rock back. I may go back to see if I can get a specimen, who knows,,, anyway,, as I remember they did seem like some variation of a jelly fungus.... Interesting topic... bye No find Um...

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification