Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Large, Multi-tiered Grow Chamber.
    #1953222 - 09/26/03 03:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've drawn up a design for a three-tiered grow chamber 36 inches in height, 22 inches across, and 22 inches deep. There will be three wire shelves on which will be placed cakes as well as casings as desired. There will be three independent self-cycling seven watt fluorescent bulbs over each tier. There will be four inches of expanded clay plus an appropriate amount of H2O+H2O2 solution at the bottom of the chamber for humidity, as well as a bubble jar on each tier. One or two fans will circulate the air internally. Air diffusing tubes placed beneath the expanded clay will provide gas exchange. A hepa-filtered ventilation tube will be at the rear top left. The unit will be powered internally, a single plug exiting the rear. The unit will be constructed of wood, lined with silicon-sealed plastic. The removable front panel will be attached with four miniature cabinet clamps, sealed with weather stripping.

My questions are:

For a chamber of this size, will I experience problems maintaining humidity and gas exchange? Do the plans I have laid out sound sufficient? I do not wish to bring foggers and such things into play.

Are my plans for lighting excessive, and can this cause problems?

Are there any problems members can forsee that I cannot?

Any input is much appreciated, thanks.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Large, Multi-tiered Grow Chamber. [Re: Ped]
    #1953352 - 09/26/03 04:44 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wood harbors a lot of contams, and the humid environment could cause it to rot. It's not the best material to use to build a terrarium, but if you laquer it REALLY WELL it will probably work. Just make sure it's sealed from the humidity.

Usually people use a cool mist humidifier for air exchange on a setup that big. They're only anout 25 bucks and very easy to rig up. You can probably leave it on 24/7 for something that size, so you shouldn't need a timer or anything. If you plan on using bubblers instead, make sure the pump is a big one. No little 20 gallon pump will do for this thing. Like I said though, humidifiers are better for something this size.

The lighting may be a bit excessive. You probably only need 1 light per shelf, but it's good that they're only 7 watts, and they may not be a problem at all.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Large, Multi-tiered Grow Chamber. [Re: Ped]
    #1953988 - 09/26/03 12:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If I read you right the wood will form an outer casing, they terrarium will be plastic lines, otherwise contams in the wood will be a problem.

I would agree the lighting seems a little excessive, plus I would make sure moisture is not going to get into the workings. Use fittings that are rated for outdoor operation. They may also raise the temperature inside the terrarium, especially if the ballasts are inside with them, have you thought of using LEDs, blue LEDs are typically 480nm which is a good wavelength for fruiting, plus they look damn cool :smile:

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Large, Multi-tiered Grow Chamber. [Re: psilomonkey]
    #1960453 - 09/28/03 07:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't mean three bulbs per tier, I meant one bulb per tier.

LED's are a good idea. What sort of unit would you suggest I use? How large are these LED's; what sort of of power supply do they require? Is there a brand name or kit you can recommend?

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation