Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
aether energy
    #1952632 - 09/25/03 11:38 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've heard a little bit lately about a physics theory of "aether energy" that claims to explain a possible source of free energy and gravity control. Some of these aether scientists claim to actually have working machines based upon these principles. Here is an example of a page describing this:

http://www.keelynet.com/davidson/npap1.htm

Now I know this theory is not generally accepted by science, but my curiosity is piqued. Does anybody know more than I do about this concept, or have some more layman-oriented links to post about this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLe_Canard
Slightly Nutty

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: aether energy [Re: MarioNett]
    #1952782 - 09/26/03 12:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well, if they could control/create gravity like the author claims, don't you think we would have heard about it? This reminds me of the "Cold Fusion" of some years back. I'd take this "Aetheric Theory" with a very large grain of salt. :smile: 

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #1952819 - 09/26/03 12:37 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

This effectively negates Special and General Relativity.

Quote:

Many of us have pretty much given up on the orthodox "science" community and we are cutting our own path into new vistas of science and technology.

Quote:

When any one of the above discoveries becomes well known the positive effects on our civilization will defy description.

If he (or anybody) can produce a true "free energy generator" (or whatever they're calling them this week), they will be receiving the Nobel Prize and more money than they will know what to do with. Nobody's been able to produce one yet. And there have been a lot of out and out frauds by people claiming to have done this sort of thing.

Maybe he's actually done it. If so, he'll be able to do demonstrations to skeptical people that will prove he's on to something. That second quote is a typical one for somebody who isn't on to anything, though. It's the sort of remark you'd expect from a fraud or somebody who believes in what they're doing but isn't actually succeeding.

I hope somebody one day *does* succeed at this sort of thing. I just don't have much hope for it.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: aether energy [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1953162 - 09/26/03 02:46 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If they did, the patents would be purchased up instantly and locked away in a deep dark place until conventional energy sources were really running reeaaaallly thin... :smirk:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Re: aether energy [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1953939 - 09/26/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds good, except that patents have to be published. So they would be visible to anybody that wants to read them. You can go read any patent you want. They have to be published so that the information is available to the public domain after the patent expires.

Besides, in order for them to be purchased, the owner has to be willing to sell. If the owner feels they're likely to make more money than the purchase offer, they're not likely to be very willing.

Finally, patents don't last all that long. Even if they were sold and the buyer decided to sit on them, after 20 years the patent expires.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1955319 - 09/26/03 07:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'll read the doc more when I get a chance, but on first look...it looks like someone is just trying to dig up the old idea of the Ether, which scientists back at the turn of the century thought existed in space (instead of a vacuum) and was the "carrier" of light energy. The idea was that if light was made of waves, it had to be a wave of something. The Ether was thus proposed as a sort of cosmic liquid which light propagated through. It was shown false with experiments designed to detect the Earth's passage through the Ether.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: aether energy [Re: trendal]
    #1956035 - 09/27/03 01:07 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What the document is saying--and I'm not supporting this--is that the ether is the medium carrying gravitational fields, instead of electromagnetic ones. Gravity does seem to be the most mysterious currently, of the four forces, so maybe there's room for another theory.

InvisibleLe_Canard
Slightly Nutty

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #1956471 - 09/27/03 05:21 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting..I have a few thoughts to add. :smile:
Well first of all, I have to say that if someone found a way a to control Gravity as the site suggests, this would be huge news, ranking up there with the discovery of of fire or the like!
And, conventional Physicists have been searching for years for a Grand Unification Theory which would link all the five basic forces of the Universe. It's sort of a "Holy Grail" amongst Scientists. 

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

#1957681 - 09/27/03 06:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've always thought that Einstein's view of gravity as a smooth warping of spacetime to be fairly appealing.

Intuitively, I think that gravity has something to do with the nature of mass (obviously) and that gravity may be related intimately with the proposed Higgs field.

Gravity cannot exist without mass...but something tells me that mass cannot exist without gravity first.

Sorry, I'd say more but I don't like throwing things out that I'm not fairly sure of yet...and as I said this is purely intuition and conjecture.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Re: aether energy [Re: trendal]
    #1957833 - 09/27/03 07:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I think that one of the big reasons people like to target relativity is that the math is beyond most people. Unlike most basic physics, you can't grasp it mathematically yet if you've only had a semester or two of calculus. And it doesn't help that the guy who thought it up is probably the most revered scientist in the last 200 years.

Don't look for relativity to be overthrown anytime soon. One of the things the physicists love about it is its mathematical elegance. Aesthetics is also a major part of science, and relativity is a crown jewel in that regard.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Re: aether energy [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1958173 - 09/27/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

YES!

I'm so glad to see someone else who realizes the beauty of physical elegance!

I'm sure a lot of physicists will agree with me if I say that the universe is probably a very elegant construction. It's not a law, but I think that elegance in a theory is a strong indication of it's validity.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology