Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepsilocybepoetess
Stranger

Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism.
    #17088902 - 10/23/12 09:21 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I am currently working on a poetry project exploring the connection between these three things: psychedelia, surrealism, and the band TOOL. As a part of my research, I am keeping a listening/reading journal and research composition. However, to diversify the content- the language and concepts- I'm interested in other people's experiences.

If you are interested in anonymous contributions, this is what I need:

-The date, day of the week, time of day, and weather conditions.
-Mindset/mood, factors that you feel have contributed to said state (including sobriety/inebriation)
-If tripping or high, the substance and amount.
-The TOOL set-list or individual songs listened to while journaling.
-Then, a free write.

The free write is simply that. No length, content, or clarity restrictions. However, you MUST listen ONLY to TOOL for the duration of the journal. It can be typed, or hand-written and scanned. Handwritten and scanned is preferable because I feel it is more indicative of one's psychological state, and gives personality to the free write that type-written work loses. However, it is all up to you. I will also accept drawings, but text- thoughts expressed as words- are central to the project.

No original material will be used, unless I ask express permission to quote and/or cite said work.

Takers?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFoxDie
Spelunkin'
Male

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: psilocybepoetess]
    #17089313 - 10/23/12 10:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

TOOL may have some psychedelic elements for their genre of music but I wouldn't consider them "psychedelic".  I think people have come to that conclusion due to Alex Grey doing their art.  Psychedelic music to me is stuff like Yahowha 13, Eternal Tapestry, Six Organs Of Admittance, etc.

I think TOOL's music is perceived as psychedelic because of some lyrics and their videos & packaging.

--------------------
Feels like my asshole's on fire... FEELS LIKE MY ASSHOLES ON FIRE!

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: FoxDie]
    #17089633 - 10/23/12 11:27 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FoxDie said:
TOOL may have some psychedelic elements for their genre of music but I wouldn't consider them "psychedelic".  I think people have come to that conclusion due to Alex Grey doing their art.  Psychedelic music to me is stuff like Yahowha 13, Eternal Tapestry, Six Organs Of Admittance, etc.

I think TOOL's music is perceived as psychedelic because of some lyrics and their videos & packaging.

I mostly agree, except for the entire Lateralus album. It's one of the most "psychedelic" albums ever created.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

OfflineHashishins
Mind Manifesting
Male User Gallery

Loc: Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #17089667 - 10/23/12 11:33 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn: You had me at tool

Invisibleatomicshaman
puppet master
Trans-female User Gallery

Loc: germany Flag
    #17089692 - 10/23/12 11:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FoxDie said:

the firt time i truly broke through {level 5} with mushrooms i had tools salvia playing so for me they will always be the most potent psychedelic band.
the combination was beyond perfection:aweyeah:

--------------------
I only do legal drugs like alcohol , tobacco and valium so fuck off and die :goat:

:

Invisibleextreme
Male

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: atomicshaman]
    #17089939 - 10/24/12 12:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i remember the first time i smoked weed i listened to THIRD EYE (and fuck i've been stoned a good number of times since then lol [like now])

don't have much to add other than first time doing an illegal drug + trippy tool song = posting on Shroomery some ~5 years later? :stoned:

Offlinepsilocybepoetess
Stranger

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: extreme]
    #17090646 - 10/24/12 06:15 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Whether the music is psychedelic or not, that is not the issue. It germinated from psychedelic thought, and the band claims the surrealist movement influenced their work.

OfflineFoxDie
Spelunkin'
Male

Loc: Seattle, WA
    #17092761 - 10/24/12 02:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

psilocybepoetess said:
Whether the music is psychedelic or not, that is not the issue. It germinated from psychedelic thought, and the band claims the surrealist movement influenced their work.

TOOL as a band, comprised of people's perceptions of them based on their music, visual packaging, and influences may be psychedelic.  I was just saying that the music itself (structurally) is pretty light on psychedelia.  It's VERY structured (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, blah blah) and too vocally driven for me to really put them in the psychedelic realm.

Again, I think their connection to surrealism and psychedelia is their influences and art and it doesn't have a stronghold over the SOUND of their music.  Lateralus and 10,000 Days are phenomenal albums but there's a reason they are considered "metal" by most.

--------------------
Feels like my asshole's on fire... FEELS LIKE MY ASSHOLES ON FIRE!

OfflineEpistrophy
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #17094380 - 10/24/12 07:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

check out my sig :smile:

Yeah there's definitely a link in there. Maynard's directly said that his music revolves around psychedelia in interviews and stuff

OfflineCHRONICxPAYNE
headbanger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: Epistrophy]
    #17095204 - 10/24/12 09:22 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

tool is on another level of psychedelic music, their lead instrument is a bass guitar much like many stoner metal bands for the reason it hypnotizes you by altering your brains frequency. A good example of this is the i-doser audio trip shit you can listen to and "get high" apparently... Tool however, uses golden ratios in their sound patterns as have famous composers throughout history. Their album Lateralus is a masterpiece lyrically, "ride the spiral till the end","as below so above and beyond i imagine" are about as trippy as you can get its almost occult, hell its damn right sorcery and maynard is the wizard :rasta:

Invisibleatomicshaman
puppet master
Trans-female User Gallery

Loc: germany Flag
Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: CHRONICxPAYNE]
    #17095290 - 10/24/12 09:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

right on !  tool are the most important band of our time by a long stretch , their influence will reverberate for generations to come.
thats not necessarily a good thing, its already spawning pathetic wannabe acts.
a lot of american alternative rock seems to be heavily influenced by tool :sad:

--------------------
I only do legal drugs like alcohol , tobacco and valium so fuck off and die :goat:

:

Invisiblefissionchips
 User Gallery

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: atomicshaman]
    #17095702 - 10/24/12 10:26 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I can point you toward the newsletters on toolband.com which can be very revealing. For example, Solving the puzzle of the "10,000 Days" album, revealing it to be an audio recreation of the 11 sephirot of the tree of life..

" E-MAIL SUBJECT: “10,000 DAYS PUZZLE…”

“Dear Blair, you might recall that we met a couple of times at Volto! Baked Potato shows 1.5 years ago. I am a neuroscientist that chatted with you about vision science, tryptamine elves, and more. After one of the shows, Danny recommended, based on my interests, that I read "An Homage to Pythagoras". Since then I have been doing some work with contemplative geometry using Robert Lawlor's book "Sacred Geometry" as a workbook. After some time, the pieces began to fall together, my contemplative eye has widened, and the story continues.

For the purposes of this email: I believe that I have solved the 10,000 Days puzzle, to whatever extent the word 'solve' can mean here, since the puzzle this album alludes to has been the eternal quest of mankind.

10,000 Days as an album maps on the Kabbalah Tree of Life (TOL). There are several layers:

A) The album has 11 tracks, each of which corresponds to a specific Sefira on the TOL. Although the TOL is read from the top down, I list it here in the order of the album tracks, with the corresponding English translation and meaning. (A) presents the basic structure that holds true across further interpretation, while (B) and (C) iare more of my own perspective on the songs and album and how it all ties in with mystical traditions.

1. Vicarious - Malkut, "kingdom" - (1st chakra); tribal energy; 12 tribes of israel; 12 zodiac signs; 12 apostles; connection to nature, environment, rhythm of physical life; baptism
2. Jambi - Yesod, "foundation" - (2nd chakra); communion with others; vitality; creative force of life;
3. Wings for Marie, Pt. 1 - Hod, "majesty" - (3rd chakra); integrity; majesty of God; confirmation; honor code with oneself
4. 10,000 Days (Wings, Pt. 2) -  Netzah, "victory", "eternity", "endurance" (3rd chakra); endurance; commitment
5. The Pot - Tif'eret, "adornment", "balance" - (4th chakra); heart; compassion, love; harmony
6. Lipan Conjuring - Da'at, "knowledge"
7. Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) - Gevurah, "judgement", "concealment" - (5th chakra); power of judgement; the right use of one's will
8. Rosetta Stoned - Hesed, "kindness" - (5th chakra); will power, voicing a confession
9. Intension - Binah, "understanding" - (6th chakra); the divine understanding and intelligence of God; intention is developed here in the mind
10. Right in Two -  Hokhmah, "wisdom" - (6th chakra, third eye); the energy of wisdom; contact point between mind of the divine and the personal mind; takes wisdom to contact God
11. Viginti Tres - Keter, "crown" - (7th chakra); Divine consciousness

B) The overarching theme that first came to me in the album was that the album begins in a state of division (Vicarious - "carnivore and voyeur"; Malkut; first chakra; survival) and ascends up the spiritual ladder to a state of Unity in Cosmic consciousness (Viginti Tres; Keter; the crown chakra). Then there are 3 pairs of tracks: Wings 1+2, Lost Keys + Rosetta, Intension + Right in Two, which match up perfectly.

When the pairs are taken as one on the same level, the sefirot correspond to the seven chakras and seven sacraments in the Vedic and Christian traditions, respectively (reference: "Energy Anatomy" by Caroline Myss). The meaning of each sefira also matches up with the rough energy of each song, as noted above. In more detail, Vicarious is the energy and rhythm of the tribe and connection to nature; here the lyrics present the schizoid nature of man in a world that feeds on tragedy. Jambi is the foundation and center of vitality gained by communion with others, here referring to both the sun (Son in Christianity) and perhaps Maynard's own son on the personal side of the coin. Both Wings pieces are majestic odes to the endurance and divine "victory" of Judith Marie as well as Maynard's personal sense of integrity bestowed to him by Marie as well as his own endurance through her ordeal of 10,000 days. The Pot was for a long time for me a stand-alone track in the album, a kind of adornment; it seemed to bring harmony to the rest of the album in some uncanny way. Funny enough, the translation of Tif'eret is "adornment" and implies balance, which in retrospect match my feelings exactly. This track establishes harmony, albeit in a kind of helium-belting rant in an androgynous voice that seems, perhaps, to blend the polarized feminine and masculine sides of the TOL. It's reference to getting high integrates Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned, as well as provides the cauldron that acts as an alchemical conversion point between the higher and lower sefirot. Lost Keys translates to "concealment", and along with Rosetta Stoned represent the throat chakra, which parallels with the song's protagonist voicing a confession. The "kindness" translation attributed to Hesed (corresponding to Rosetta Stoned) is actually referring to the right use of one's will; how one will use the power of judgement, hopefully for expanding compassion and kindness, according to the mystical traditions. Intension conveys a sense of understanding (Binah) of how the manifest world works, as conveyed by the lyrics that run forward and backwards; intention is developed in the mind in conjunction with understanding and the intelligence. Right in Two is a track that conveys wisdom (Hokhmah), and together with Intension represent the 6th chakra, or third eye. Through wisdom and understanding, God or Divine Consciousness can be contacted from the manifest realm. The Divine Consciousness is represented by Viginti Tres (Keter), which translates to "crown" and correlates to the 7th chakra, from which the TOL begins its downward descent.

(C) Track 6, Lipan Conjuring, is at the center of the album, and its track number ties into its position on the TOL, surrounded by a hexagon. Tef'eret (The Pot) is also at the center of a hexagon and functions as an exchange/balance point. Incidentally, The Pot's alchemical implication corresponds with the sacred geometrical significance of the hexagon as the defining crystal structure of organic compounds (the benzene ring). In Da'at, all the other sefirot in the TOL are united as one. Accordingly, this track is in a sense the central ceremonial fire from which the other tracks on the album reveal themselves; it is the conjuring up of duality so that the Divine Light (emanating from pulses in Viginti Tres, Keter at the crown) can descend and be seen through the crystallizations of the individual tracks. Indeed, a wave-like pulsation is found throughout the album, which to my mind is the cosmic pulsation from Keter. Da'at is not commonly conveyed in depictions of the sefirot and it is not a proper sefira; it is all of them as one. Da'at serves as the connecting point between the sefirot closer to the Source (later tracks) and the sefirot further down in manifestation that deal with emotions (earlier tracks). Furthermore, Da'at is situated in the so-called "Abyss" of the TOL, a kind of no-man's-land between the archetypal and manifest (Real and Unreal, respectively, in Aleister Crowley's words) that acts as a mirror or reflection point for higher and lower halves of the TOL. Hence, the placement of Lipan Conjuring at the center of the album is appropriate: it is from here that a recognition of the higher level patterning of the album begins to be apprehended.

The track ordering of the album is one sense indicative of the songs' spots on the TOL, but in another sense, the ordering is nonlinear and hyperdimensional; it must be contemplated from a standpoint of sacred geometry, mysticism, and repeated listening so that musical patterns and motifs can elucidate the mystery of the Tree of Life.

If my interpretations are not the purported "solution" the 10,000 Days puzzle, I hope that they offered you an entertaining and thoughtful read. If nothing else, 10,000 Days—apart from being an incredible album that has brought me much bliss and divine communion in listening—has been a wonderful link between my own musicianship, yoga, and studies of consciousness. I would love to hear your feedback regardless of whether or I've lost the keys to unlocking this puzzle.” Best regards, Gabriel

MY REPLY:

Great job, and it only took a neuroscientist to figure this out. Thanks, my friend!

I could quote endlessly from the newsletter about Aleister Crowley, tryptamine elves, summoning of demons, The Great Work, etc. but I fear it would come across as choppy and neurotic.

Research the newsletters.

Edited by fissionchips (10/25/12 09:36 AM)

Offlinepsilocybepoetess
Stranger

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: fissionchips]
    #17097432 - 10/25/12 06:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you, fissionchips. I will certainly take those newsletters into account.

I must reiterate, this is not about categorizing music by sound- it is exploration of content, style, and influence as it compares to 20th century French Surrealism. I understand that TOOL is not considered "psychedelic" by the standards you have prescribed FoxDie; but that is entirely irrelevant to this thread.

Invisiblefissionchips
 User Gallery

#17099162 - 10/25/12 01:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I didn't realize that it was a poetry project, in that case the newsletters probably aren't that important, Being inspired by the music would be the objective. I thought it was like a research paper kind of thing.

Offlinepsilocybepoetess
Stranger

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: fissionchips]
    #17101838 - 10/25/12 08:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry for the confusion!:smile:

OfflineSpace Elf
 User Gallery

Re: Tool, Psychedelia, and Surrealism. [Re: psilocybepoetess] * 1
    #19523613 - 02/05/14 02:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psilocybepoetess said:

Umm, yeah. I know this is an old thread, but I don't understand why people think Tool is non-psychedelic. :shocked:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale