Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
Interesting idea?
    #1949093 - 09/24/03 06:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I was mulling over how one would go about doing a fairly pure psilocybin extraction the other night. I didn't get to far, because I remembered, psilly rabbit, oxygen would react with it and oxidize it into psilocin. Well I thought, how could I remove the oxygen from the atmosphere to prevent oxidization? Well, I could replace the oxygen with an inert gas, such as CO2. Now this probably isn't a new concept, but the bright idea I had was instead of messing with dry ice, there is a much cheaper and effective alternative, at least in theory. If anyone is familiar with paintball, they would know that CO2 propels the balls from the marker. CO2 tanks can be easily and cheaply obtained at any walmart in various sizes, and CO2 refills are relatively cheap if one has a place to fill tanks near them. My idea would be to rig a rubbermaid box up similarly to a glove box, only putting greater emphasis on making sure it is airtight. Follow my explanation in the diagram below:

A valve aquired at a hardware store for little money is attached to one end of the box, while a sealable vent is installed on the other end. Basically the CO2 valve is opened, allowing CO2 gas into the chamber and displaces the oxygen, which exit out the vent. When the proper CO2 level is reached inside the box, the vent is sealed, and a CO2 filled environment is created. Proper CO2 levels can be roughly checked by attempting to light a lighter in the box. If the lighter won't light, no oxygen is present, and it's safe to procede with an extraction in the CO2 environment. This method would be great for better psilocybin extractions, as well as a better preservation method for long term storage, all at an inexpensive and relatively easy setup. Let me know what ya think!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Interesting idea? [Re: biglo]
    #1949563 - 09/24/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Damn thats pretty interesting. I don't know if it would work or not so I don't think I should make any comment about it. But very creative thinking keep it up.

Offlineprocule
Drinker

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Re: Interesting idea? [Re: Osker246]
    #1949662 - 09/24/03 09:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The psilocybin isn't oxidized.
The psilocin is.

Psilocybin is quite stable and you should not bother that much for an extraction.

--------------------
home grown shit
god damn it

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Interesting idea? [Re: procule]
    #1949772 - 09/24/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Damnit! I hate it when I confuse substances and terminology! Anyways, the point is not only for doing better extractions, but also for doing long term storage. I've read a report saying shroom powder from dried fruits has been kept for years while still retaining potency. This method would hopefully be able to extend shelf life with less degredation, without making an elaborate setup.

InvisibleArsey
Stranger
Loc: location location locatio...
    #1949841 - 09/24/03 10:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I dunno.. seems the atmosphere would be primed for anearobic bacteria. Helium or cfc's would probably work but what if the oxidation is more of something that occurs on a endogeneous enzymatic level. If free radicals within the cellular system facilitate the breakdown via some enzymatic process then the atmosphere may be insignificant. In fact, if the oxidation is induced by stress the anearobic condition may actually promote the advance of the oxidative state.

Lemme put it this way.... If a mushroom was bruised in a atmosphere of pure CO2 would it still blue?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Interesting idea? [Re: Arsey]
    #1950233 - 09/25/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The wine industry uses a mixture of carbon dioxide, argon, and nitrogen. It seems to cover all the bases.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1950293 - 09/25/03 02:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That reminds me!  The more elite paintballers also used compressed air which is mostly nitrogen.  Don't know if that would affect it or not.  Anyways, to the person that said it would be prime for anerobic bacteria, I'm assuming that the extractions/preservations are being done on dried shrooms.  Life needs water, so if there was no humidity in the shrooms themselves, then there shouldn't be any bacterial growth, because the CO2 gas shouldn't "THEORETICALLY" contain water vapor.  But maybe some kind of preservative could also be introduced that wouldn't react with the mushies and is non toxic?  I dunno, I'm just spouting ideas at this point, damn ephedrine, been up all night on it trying to get this paper done for the am, sigh...  :sad: 

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
    #1951147 - 09/25/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

F#<%!^& tweeker

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Interesting idea? [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1951155 - 09/25/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice idea.....Insted of bying tanks of gases,why not burn the oxygen in the glovebox using a candle? I think this would be ok for the purposes of extraction,even storage.

I wrote a small tek utilising this method named "Psilomans storage tek" or smth like that...Run a search if u are interested

InvisibleMilkVein
unsure
 User Gallery

Loc: total bullshit->
Re: Interesting idea? [Re: Psiloman]
    #2030660 - 10/21/03 09:56 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

that is a good idea!....becarefull with the candle though...you dont want to loose all your hair!

--------------------
I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past.
But I'm all alone at last.
Rolling home to you.

OfflinePsily_Rabbit
Yotser
Let them suffocate themselves! [Re: MilkVein]
    #2030832 - 10/21/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Using a lighter would be cheap and easy (plus less work). Just use one of those long snouted lightser you use for lighting gas grills.

Personally, I like using them for fireworks and burning ants.

--------------------
Pleasure or pain?
Weakness or power?
Ignorance or Knowledge?
All go hand in hand, you choose your path.

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: Let them suffocate themselves! [Re: Psily_Rabbit]
    #2032175 - 10/22/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Argon or helium if pretty cheap and doesn't react w/ a damn thing (99% of the time anyways). Argon is better because it's heavier then air and will more readily displace reactive gases whereas helium may spend a lot of time at the top of your chamber. Peace, Flux

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Let them suffocate themselves! [Re: Flux]
    #2036454 - 10/23/03 01:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Good theory here, but do you really want to do an extraction which will involve highly volatile solvents in an enclosed, non-vented box? I'm not sure I would. Once that rubbermaid filled with vapors, it will start building pressure (assuming it's sealed tight, which it would have to be for your idea to work well). The slightest leak or the slightest spark, and you've got a hell of a bomb on your hands. A large tupperware full of concentrated/compressed explosive vapors does not seem a safe thing to have around IMO.

-just a thought.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale