Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeeter
giant

Loc: Ayahuasca Dunk-tank
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: vikingsc]
    #19462325 - 01/23/14 12:23 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

My digital hygro never creeps above 65 but I know with the water droplets on the walls, I'm way over that.  Just mist and then Fan like a mad man.  End result is always Bomb-diggity tho.  The term "Fruits of your labor" comes to mind. 

Patience, attention to detail, and good ol fashion hardwork.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevikingsc
Mushroom Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada Flag
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: Jeeter]
    #19462724 - 01/23/14 01:55 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ya the cheap hygro's suck. If the sides of the FC stay moist then your humidity should be fine.

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: vikingsc]
    #19462976 - 01/23/14 02:52 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Depending on the weather(temperature/humidity etc) it gets a bit harder to keep the perlite hydrated. When the weather is warm there's not much condensation so it's hard to tell if the humidity is right apart from putting faith in the hygrometer. There's a lot of clutter around the fc atm and it might interfere with the circulation  so I'm kind of overzealous and constantly  misting the walls of the fc just to kind of guarantee the air is more humid in there.

To be honest I can't tell when the sub is drying or not since I don't have a good feel for it yet. Straw is a bit tricky looking too. The straw was possibly over-hydrated initially which seemed to make it hard for the mycelium to colonize the really wet parts (they were sweating like crazy).

I was worried about losing my babies to some kinda rot or bacteria etc So I took them out of their bags and let them air out a bit since they were completely colonised, but just needed consolidation. There was a sort of dirty smell which subsided when I let the substrate air out a bit). They did lose some water and the outside was able to colonise more thoroughly after that.

Within 2-3 days the surface was pinning so I thought I'd just fruit them since they were happy to do so. The straw got birthed by getting a strong misting for a day till the surface was swamped - then let it evaporate off and begin regular light misting the fc and perlite.

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: Watamiseh]
    #19462981 - 01/23/14 02:53 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

These mushrooms look really healthy. But I will start fanning now since not all the little knots have pinned yet.

My BRF cakes had  really thin blonde looking shrooms with relatively proportionate caps but these straw ones look really meaty, dark and strong. I'm gonna let this 4 inch shrummie's veil break and try clone it after I take a spore print from it (it still seems to be growing).

Will be printing it on a petri dish, I bought a box of 500 to fool around with. (I've never done any agar work besides the stuff I learnt at college/high school but not with shrooms - but my aseptic technique was pretty decent)

Kinda lazy about making some agar dishes but it has to be done!

I'm guessing I'd make a grain jar and throw a wedge of isolated agar in it to inoculate it. then maybe shake up the master jar with some sterile water and start inoculating a few more grain jars with it. (I've got some pretty badass glass syringes from china, got one that can hold 120ml)

The legacy of straw shrummies must live on!

(I ramble on too much so I gotta split my posts :tongue:)

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: monoculture]
    #19474801 - 01/26/14 12:22 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

monoculture said:
With the SGFC that full, be happy you made the holes bigger.
The more you put in, the more co2 is produced.
The humidity will be high enough, especially when mushrooms are growing.

I dunno, look at how closed off monotubs are compared to something like a SGFC. I probably have 1/5th the substrate volume in this SGFC than an equivalent  monotub and look at all the open air holes this has. Even got the little modestly sized cakes/bricks propped up on coke cans to create a bit of circulation around em.

I guess these could of had more thorough pinning than I currently have. (the surface seems  to be covered in knots but they haven't been pinning uniformly)

Offlinemonoculture
Mycaddict
Male User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: Watamiseh]
    #19478718 - 01/26/14 08:15 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I probably have 1/5th the substrate volume in this SGFC than an equivalent  monotub

Ok, while looking at this pic:

I had the idea the SGFC was packed with 3 rows of bricks of decent size.

Offlinevikingsc
Mushroom Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada Flag
    #19479124 - 01/26/14 09:50 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

monoculture said:

I guess these could of had more thorough pinning than I currently have. (the surface seems  to be covered in knots but they haven't been pinning uniformly)

Likely from multi-spore genetics. The pics you see of pins everywhere across the tub and a canopy that takes up the whole tub are usually from an isolate or a clone.

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#19480037 - 01/27/14 03:53 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Oh that makes a lot of sense. I never knew!

Kept wondering why I'd get so many different looking shrooms too.

Trying my best to get agar work under way and hopefully get a mono culture. Still awaiting my clone attempts to colonize at the moment (I've done 3 tissue samples from the inner stems on barley malt agar plates).

Will post pics when done, or maybe start up a grow log to document my journey if irrelevant to this thread.

Love  ya all! :mushroom2:

*edit* re:monoculture; pardon my bad photography :smile:

Edited by Watamiseh (01/27/14 03:57 AM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
    #19480048 - 01/27/14 03:58 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

looks like a shitty pinset due to a shitty enviroment

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: twistedty]
    #19480113 - 01/27/14 05:23 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Hopefully my monotub won't have shitty conditions. I guess my pinsets represent the fruits of my labor. Maybe I need to put in more effort.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
    #19480167 - 01/27/14 06:05 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

good job man! 
if this is ur first/one of ur first attempts i salute u for trying straw!  i've only used it for oysters.  how did u prep it?  soak, lime, pasteurize?
perhaps if u left bag on the whole time (even consolidated in the bag because these are "cakes") you would have seen larger fruits/larger pin set both because more moisture would have been retained by bag holding it in and the myc having a chance to consolidate the nutrients before spending energy trying to fruit.
sry if this was mentioned in the OP (i can only read 2nd page in middle of replying), but how did u inoculate the straw?  did u spawn to it?  i guess u'd have to..never head of ms or lc taking to straw like that.
i feel like striping the bag may have done more harm than good (i know why u did it, i get paranoid too with smells/stalls haha) but oysters typically grown on straw logs require way more fae than cubes, and despite that, commercial growers don't even strip the bags, (in an effort to retain moisture) they poke holes or x's kinda like an SGFC, even though stripping the bags would increase FAE. so with cubes, it may have dried out the straw log a bit much to get a great pin set.  maybe ur next flush will have more/larger fruits...?
sry for the long response....i've been wanting to try straw with cubes for a while. thx for posting!

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19480233 - 01/27/14 06:58 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Watamiseh said:

I'm gonna let this 4 inch shrummie's veil break and try clone it after I take a spore print from it (it still seems to be growing).

Very bad idea if you want good performance later.  Clone from small, rapidly growing mushrooms, not a mature, open cap mushroom which has already entered senescence.

Quote:

Watamiseh said:
Depending on the weather(temperature/humidity etc) it gets a bit harder to keep the perlite hydrated. When the weather is warm there's not much condensation so it's hard to tell if the humidity is right apart from putting faith in the hygrometer.

Condensation isn't an indicator of humidity.

There should never, and I repeat never be condensation on the walls of a shotgun terrarium.  The only way that could ever happen is to put a heater inside and put the terrarium outdoors or something else stupid like that.  There should never be condensation on a shotgun terrarium indoors.  Condensation is not an indication of humidity; it's an indication of temperature differential.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: blindingleaf]
    #19480425 - 01/27/14 08:41 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

blindingleaf, thanks dude! To be precise I followed the man RR's "Let's grow mushrooms" straw tek. So far the only educational material I needed to purchase. :laugh: My first grow was 2 pf cakes fruited in coke bottles , I got 2 flushes out of them then I built the SGFC and got a few more cubies then the cakes just stalled (ran outta food I guess)

Cut up straw into 1-2" pieces, dish soap wash and soak in hot tap water for 2 hrs, then pasteurized for 90 minutes. I dunno what the etiquette is about sharing stuff from purchased material so forgive me if it's impolite in any way RR.

edit: I used 1:5 ratio of rye spawn to straw approx.

-2x 50/50 straw/cowpoo monotubs got trich.
-2x coir mini trays doing ok (fast growing short stubby mushrooms)
-straw tray-cake got trich after 1 flush
-2x straw bag-cakes survived first flush, the second flush had an ok amount of pins but they built up a huge amount of fuzzy mycelium around the pins almost engulfing them this time. I misted them till drenched as a dunking substitute just in case. They definitely performed the best.

Just tried nearly everything at once for my first time. I'm practically broke but I feel like its worth it regardless.

I've bought some shiitake and oyster spore prints to try very soon when I free up the SGFC and use it for attempting my edibles on PF Tek till I get a feel for how they behave then move on to straw immediately after too.

-----------------
***RogerRabbit***
-----------------
Thank you very much for those tips, It was perfect timing for me to learn that before starting to store prints and cultures :eek:

Made a lot of light spore prints on sterile petri dishes (I bought a box of 500 for $20 because they were slightly defective) so I use them generously.

Have around 10 malt extract agar plates in the fridge at the moment so I have a lot of experimenting to do. Never done agar work before but I did my best to follow aseptic procedures to minimize contams.

Would mixing a tiny bit of spores from my : Cambodian, Ecuador and golden teachers (all prints) in one agar dish be a good way to try select a strong colony of rhizo strands? Still doing my best to understand how the DNA mixes etc!

Edited by Watamiseh (01/27/14 08:45 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #19480704 - 01/27/14 10:36 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Made a lot of light spore prints on sterile petri dishes (I bought a box of 500 for $20 because they were slightly defective) so I use them generously.

Have around 10 malt extract agar plates in the fridge at the moment so I have a lot of experimenting to do. Never done agar work before but I did my best to follow aseptic procedures to minimize contams.

Would mixing a tiny bit of spores from my : Cambodian, Ecuador and golden teachers (all prints) in one agar dish be a good way to try select a strong colony of rhizo strands? Still doing my best to understand how the DNA mixes etc!

the dishes were still guaranteed sterile?

aseptic wont help you, you need to be sterile. You need a Still air box and a good understanding of sterility, Technical Educational Knowledge=TEK good sterile TEK is what you need. type SAB and sterile into the search engine and tick the trusted cultivator box make posts newer than 2 years old.

mixing spores does nothing they're all p.cube spores. Two spores mate make dikaryotic(sp) mycelium that's a single strain. Using spores to start a grow ensures you have 1000s of strains. doesn't matter if the spores come from two corners of the world as long as they're p.cube its going to grow. rhizo growth happens on petri dishes after a few transfers and if you have your nutrient level right, rhizo growth likes low nutrient levels on agar. Don't worry about rhizo growth so much worry about healthy growth and fast growth.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19481987 - 01/27/14 03:40 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

im gonna try straw with cubes and no hydrated lime them (i usually add lime to pasteurization water for oysters).  I'm glad it worked for you!

and for the agar, :whathesaid:  (bodhi i mean)

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19484472 - 01/28/14 01:27 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Oh I see. Thanks for the ongoing advice bodhisatta. I'm glad this thread will be full of information for other people to learn from in their search results too.

The petri dishes defect is that they have small particles in them but are apparently still sterile. (plastic debris or something)

The SAB I use is a tub. I hang the edge over the edge of a table just wide enough to fit my forearms in. I wear a dust mask to muffle my breathing and long rubber gloves wiped down with alcohol(lysol when using spirit burner). I mist the inside really heavily with ethanol then let it sit for a few mins before working in it. I close all doors and windows to reduce air currents and slow my breathing and move directly and efficiently (I do my best not to make abrupt movements that will blow dust around).

So far anything that involves agar work and flame sterilising scalpel/innoculating loop (I took nichrome wire loop,with an empty pen as handle) I work inside a clear plastic bag sprayed with lysol. I flame sterilise outside of the bag, then while still glowing red I bring it inside it and partially slide the agar open and cool the tip and begin cutting or swabbing etc). 

I'm pretty convinced now that my pinsets have been crap due to the substrates not being properly consolidated now when I think of it. Which might of been because of making mistakes regarding the water content of the straw. I had a feeling that the straw looked too wet and the really wet parts struggled to colonised thickly so I aired my bags out and let some moisture evaporate. This caused premature pinning so I just fruited them. Just following the notion of "the mycelium knows what it's doing - just let it do its thing"

I aim to make a mono culture from a clone, then from there transfer the wedge to a grain jar, then do a G2G to make more spawn. This is where building a proper SAB will make or break my progress so far. I will be making monotubs again: I've got straw, cowpoo, verm, coco coir to work with. Have gypsum but I have the wrong lime so I want to buy the right one before I start again.

My spore prints were made a bit carelessly. but I do have a spore print from a reputable sponsor vendor which I could use to make a syringe or I can just try innoc some agar with my below average prints and go wedge to jar from there. Nothing to lose right?

Good luck blindingleaf!

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19484475 - 01/28/14 01:29 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like you got a solid plan laid out:cool:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblemushmagic
supporting radical habits
Male User Gallery

Loc: Candyland
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: cronicr]
    #19484478 - 01/28/14 01:31 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Even if your prints are "below average" as you say, you can still clean them up on the agar.

--------------------

Trade list in journal (partially under construction; more to be added)

Don't judge a man by what kinda shoes he in, judge a man on where that man's shoes been.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: mushmagic]
    #19484895 - 01/28/14 06:01 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

yea, i'd say skip the syringe, just use ur loop to swipe some spores on to ur agar.

and i know what u mean with straw water content.  happened to me with oysters.  i was thinking of trying a 30 min presoak next time, or just skipping it all together to see what happens, cause even when i let it dry out 24 hours, it seems too wet.  I've never had a straw bag stop growing because of this, but i've had them take their time.

ur SAB tote set up sounds like my first one!!  now i have one with arm holes burnt in, i cover those with press n seal and use a razor to make an X for my arms to go in, so there is much less gap/open space between my arm and the perimeter of the hole.

glad to see ur pretty organized in terms of making plans!

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules