Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: outta here
UK: Lib Dems
    #1948046 - 09/24/03 03:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I was just reading this earlier today, and I realised that, while not perfect, the Lib Dems are quite appealing to me at the moment. This Brent by-election really seems to have them fired up.
Here's the article anyways:

Lib Dems focus on 'war on terror'

Tom Happold and agencies
Wednesday September 24, 2003
The Guardian

In a debate on the "war on terror" this morning, the Liberal Democrat conference is expected to adopt positions deeply critical of the government's actions in Iraq and inaction - in terms of preparation for possible terror attacks - at home.

Representatives are expected to pass motions condemning the war, demanding the repatriation of the British citizens held at Guantanamo Bay and calling for a single cabinet minister to be made responsible for emergency planning.

The Lib Dems' foreign affairs spokesman, Menzies Campbell, who is speaking this morning, is expected to say: "There is still no credible answer to the central question of whether we went to war on a flawed prospectus because of inadequate or mishandled intelligence.

"I wish Lord Hutton's remit had been to answer that question. But even on his limited mandate we have seen how defective was the dossier of last September, how unreliable the claims of the government."

Mr Campbell will also demand that the government publish the legal advice on which it deemed the war in Iraq legal under international law.

"Does anyone really believe that if these undisputed facts had been laid before parliament and public, the government would have garnered the necessary support for war?" Mr Campbell is expected to ask. "When the attorney general expressed his opinion that war was lawful, did he do so on the facts as set out in the dossier of 12 months ago?

"Was he told that only battlefield weapons were involved in the claim that Iraq could attack in 45 minutes? Was he told there was only one source? Was he told the information was hearsay?

"In an effort to persuade parliament, the government published part of the attorney general's opinion.

Today, I call on the government to publish the whole opinion and provide the factual basis on which it was written."

As well as condemning the war, Lib Dem representatives are likely to vote for the UN to take over the occupation of Iraq and for a judicial inquiry into the government's handling of the intelligence concerning Iraq's weapons programmes.

The conference is also expected to demand the scrapping of a new extradition treaty with the US signed by the home secretary, David Blunkett, in response to the September 11 terror attacks.

A motion tabled by home affairs spokesman Simon Hughes says the treaty should not be ratified because it allows British suspects to be handed over to the US without the Americans being required to provide evidence backing up their suspicions.

Britain still has to provide evidence to support any extradition request against a US citizen.

And representatives are also expected to call for John Prescott to be given responsibility for Britain's preparations for a possible attack in the UK.

Emergency planning duties should be held by a single senior cabinet minister, not shared between ministers of various ranks as at present, the Lib Dems will argue.

But they will stop short of demanding a US-style minister for homeland security as the Tories have done.

It's somewhat heartening to know that a large percentage of the country is realising what a sham this whole war is.

Do any British posters here have an opinion on the Lib Dems? I think with the Tories fading into irrelevancy, they have a fair chance of getting somewhere in the next election.

Oh, and in other news, there's an emergency motion being planned at Labour's conference to call for Blair's resignation.

The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: London UK
Re: UK: Lib Dems [Re: Edame]
    #1950731 - 09/25/03 11:42 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

As its highly unlikely they will never get in to power the Lib Dems have the luxury of never having to make good their promises! Overall though I would choose them over the other two but I dont vote anyway so...

As for the tories being a spent force I think that their support may grow if they come up with a more reasonable policy on the single currency.

Always Smi2le

Rogue State
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: UK: Lib Dems [Re: GazzBut]
    #1950746 - 09/25/03 11:53 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

LMAO, The Lib Dems....
I agree with GazzBut, the Conservatives are likely to start a little resurgance they need to show a little more flair though..

The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Loc: England
Re: UK: Lib Dems [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1950866 - 09/25/03 01:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

oh man i dont think the lib dems have been in power since the 20s! well labour is all over thee shop and no one is voting for the ocnservatives after fuher thatcher. lib dems are the only viable alternative.

myself, I am voting for the raving monster loony party. sutch may be dead but that cat will make a fine prime minister!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion