Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Kazaa turns tables on record labels
    #1947549 - 09/24/03 12:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 24 ? Turning the tables on record labels, makers of the most popular Internet song-swapping network are suing entertainment companies for copyright infringement.

SHARMAN NETWORKS LTD., the company behind the Kazaa file-sharing software, filed a federal lawsuit Monday accusing the entertainment companies of using unauthorized versions of its software in their efforts to root out users. Entertainment companies have offered bogus versions of copyright works and sent online messages to users.
Sharman said the companies used Kazaa Lite, an ad-less replica of its software, to get onto the network. The lawsuit also claims efforts to combat piracy on Kazaa violated terms for using the network.
Sharman?s lawsuit also revives its previous allegation that the entertainment companies violated antitrust laws by stopping Sharman and its partner from distributing authorized copies of music and movies through Kazaa.
U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson rejected those claims in July but last week allowed Sharman to try again. Sharman is incorporated in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu with main offices in Sydney, Australia. The Recording Industry Association of America called Sharman?s ?newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law? ironic and ?self-serving.?
Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group declined to comment on Sharman?s latest lawsuit.
Recording companies sued 261 music fans this month, claiming they were illegally distributing hundreds of digital song files apiece over the Internet. The industry trolled file-sharing networks such as Kazaa and downloaded song files from users? computers.
Once the industry determined a downloaded song file was a copyright work, they issued subpoenas to Internet access providers to find out who was behind the account used to log onto the file-sharing network.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/971165.asp?0bl=-0

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Kazaa turns tables on record labels [Re: Raadt]
    #1947599 - 09/24/03 01:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

> The Recording Industry Association of America called Sharman?s ?newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law? ironic and ?self-serving.?

*laugh* The RIAA is calling somebody else "self-serving"? Please....

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Kazaa turns tables on record labels [Re: Seuss]
    #1948630 - 09/24/03 06:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I honestly think all the lawsuits between the RIAA and filesharers are leading NOWHERE...

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Kazaa turns tables on record labels [Re: TinMan]
    #1952086 - 09/25/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

They are scaring people that dont know whats going on...I'm sure alot of people aren't using kazaa cuz they dont wanna get sued now. What more could the RIAA wish to accomplish? :frown:

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Kazaa turns tables on record labels [Re: DailyPot]
    #1956731 - 09/27/03 09:14 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

this really pisses me off, im glad kazaa's suing those bastards instead of just rolling over under pressure. they sued 261 users last month, out of millions and millions of users........im not to worried.

--------------------
:stash: + :bong: = :smile:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Kazaa turns tables on record labels [Re: DellComputers]
    #1959053 - 09/28/03 06:02 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sharman?s ?newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law

how does that go? turn about is fair play...

now; my argument in favor of indeviduals who chose to voilate copyright laws follows. it is not one based on a moral argument, because the copyright laws are not either.

the leading interest in the production of commercial software and most music is finantial gain. it has nothing to do with a person't rights.

the larger record labels [the ones doin' the suin'] are not interested in the artistic efforts or even compensetory rights of the musicians they sign. they are interested in makeing the most moeny from the most popular artists. they sgn mostly musicians who are willing to produce "mainstream", market formula music that will be as widely accepted by the largest percentage of thier target demographic. this is not comducive to the integrity of the music "industry" [a term that has mo place at all being applied to an art form]. when music companies can no longer make $$$,$$$,$$$ anualy they will find something else and leave the mnusic to the artists.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service