Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheEggman
Mind-expandingStudent
Loc: Central California
Question about Casing for a Noobie
    #1947483 - 09/24/03 12:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've only grown once previously with Myco bags.

I am going to make a setup a la PF Tek/MMGG for colonization. I want to case the colonized cakes though. The PF Casing Guide looks informative, but I don't understand the concept of perlite. If I use the PF Casing Guide with 1/2" of perlite at the bottom of the fruiting pan, will I need to place the fruiting pan into a humidified terrarium? What environment should I place it in?

Thank you in advance for any help and wish me luck with my Golden Teachers. :smile:

--------------------
Peace and love,
Tim.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan
Re: Question about Casing for a Noobie [Re: TheEggman]
    #1947504 - 09/24/03 12:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Perlite provides humidity, It is at the bottom of your fruiting chamber. For your first casing I would suggest you use straight verm.

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Question about Casing for a Noobie [Re: TheEggman]
    #1947527 - 09/24/03 12:45 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

perlite in the bottom of your casing tray ( think that is what you are talking about) will provide alittle extra moisture for your cased substrate. It will also absorb some of the mycelial waste that will ooze to the bottom. You will still need to build a terrarium and humidify that. I suggest not using perlite because casings do not need the amount of humidity that the perlite provides. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, though. It has in the past. You can mist, or use a cool mist humidifier. I would aslo suggest using either straight verm ( a friend has never had any luck with this, but everyone here swears it's good) or use a verm /coco coir mix. The ratio is usually 60/40 coir to verm ( or the other way around.... it's been awhile). Meaning that if you use six cups of coir, you would add 4 cups of verm. Be sure that you get coco coir and not coconut bark. Do a search and you should get some name brands of coir sold in pet stores. The coir is awesome. Do alot of reading on casings. Learn about patching the spots of mycelia that poke through the casing early. Good luck. And for God's sake DO NOT make the casing too wet. You will hate yourself for that.

Edited by cheesenoonions (09/24/03 12:50 PM)

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Re: Question about Casing for a Noobie [Re: Fungi_x]
    #1947570 - 09/24/03 01:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My friend is in kinda the same situation... I have been told 60/40 coco/verm. What are the advantages and disadvantages to using just verm for your first time? does it affect yield potential?

--------------------

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Question about Casing for a Noobie [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1947586 - 09/24/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I was just curious, do you guys actually measure out your casing mix ratios? I've always just done it by eye 'cause I figured the 50/50 and 60/40 thing was just a rough set of guidlines. I've never had any problems just doing it by eye, but I was just wondering if most people here actually measure and if they think it makes any real difference at all.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Question about Casing for a Noobie [Re: Demiurge]
    #1948493 - 09/24/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think it does make little difference between 50/50 and 60/40. IT is just a guideline for people to start with until they can do it by eye. The ratio gets messed up sometimes, but it's alright. For example, if you have made your mix according to the guidelines and you get it too wet, well you can always just add more verm or coir. The addition of verm may have something to do with the fact that coir is slightly nutritive. I have some pics that I can post later of small shrooms growing in coir alone. The f#cked up thing was that the coir wasn't even innoculated, just stored for later use!!! Talk about spore dispersal! Perhaps the verm helps to make sure that the mushies don't try to eat the coir. I don't know.
As for the benefits of coir, I had a friend who couldn't get any kind of casings to work very well and then he tried coir and check this out. A big difference between the verm casings he tried. I have, however, seen pics of large flushes with straight coarse verm. This is just what worked for him when everything else wouldn't. Plus if you wonder whether casing makes a difference, look at the difference between the first two pics and the last UNCASED pic. It is worth mentioning that these were grown on sundried cow crap from a diary farm. I don't know if this is possible with crumbled BRF cakes.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Question about Casing for a Noobie [Re: Innernaut]
    #1948534 - 09/24/03 05:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I would say to go with coir/verm because you can tell when it is dry easier. IT will look more orange when it is drying. It will be a dark red color when moist. You won't have to touch it or guess when to mist.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation