Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Huston We have a problem
    #1943638 - 09/23/03 07:37 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I went to work and left on incubator on like i always do i come home this morning and one of the jars has rust forming on the innoculation holes and the substrate has shrunk and pulled away from the walls and bottom of the jar and a milky fluid almost looks like cum has built up on the walls and bottom of the jar. And the jar has a ordor to it almost like beer if you bake it. Im useing the BRF tech. If any of you guys can help me out id apprciate it, what im thinking is that it got to hot and the moister caused the holes to start rusting which contamed my jar????? But this is my first time so thought id check.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: Huston We have a problem [Re: Protester]
    #1943708 - 09/23/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I went to your house and came in your jar. April fools! I got ya!

My sperm is pretty potent so leave it be and you'll have shrooms the size of oak trees.

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Huston We have a problem [Re: Superbowl Bob]
    #1943736 - 09/23/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Any other serious opions?

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

#1943774 - 09/23/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

How long since they have been innoculated? Rust on the innoculation holes is no big deal. My friends flowerbed had rust on his holes and it never seemed to cause trouble. The cakes are bound to shrink... and often water may collect, though it is undesireable... I'd seperate the one in question and wait until that beer smell changes to a shit smell. I'm not sure, but could you have used too much h20 or brf when mixing?

--------------------

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Huston We have a problem [Re: Innernaut]
    #1943779 - 09/23/03 09:13 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

been 5 days since innoculation. like i said this is my first grow and I might be a little over catious, but i just wanna make sure every thing is going ok. And as far as seperating the one in question already did. Was just trying to figure out what made it happen some i can avoid it in the furture. ANd i followed the formula i got off the shrommery exactly when i mixed, unless the jar leaked while i was pressure cooking it.

--------------------

Offlinepointdexter
Stranger
    #1943790 - 09/23/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

you're probably fine, the cooked beer smell is probably just some cooked brf/verm mix.. it smells weird sometimes. as stated in the previous post, rust on the lid won't affect your results much esp. with the verm barrier in place. however, if the temp in your incubator went up too high you might have killed off your spores.

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Huston We have a problem [Re: pointdexter]
    #1943830 - 09/23/03 09:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I hope not. Well wish me luck gonna keep trying till i get it right. ANd thanks for the help man.

--------------------

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

Loc: Vienna, Austria
    #1943841 - 09/23/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It is quite odd, that your jars are shrinking within 5 days! Although Ive only used straight rye, I would say your substrate has just collapsed to fill the air holes within. (I hope) If it's that your fine. If your temps too high and you've got an are hole somewhere water might also be evaporating from the jar. But at this rate (5 days) this is very unlikely...

--------------------
Perception is limited to consciousness.Expand it and unfold other realities.

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Huston We have a problem [Re: JazzMatazz]
    #1943891 - 09/23/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No idea man thats why i asked, was just in that one jar that shrunk, and has the odor. So like Inner suggested i seperated it from my other jars jsut in case something is amiss in there besides my mushroom spores. Just went and looked at it agian, been a few hours since i removed it from the incubator seems the jar has filled out agian and i can see water condinsation on the walls of the jar and the milky looking fluid has sorta resolidfied and turned more of a creamy color.

--------------------

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1943893 - 09/23/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

where is huston?  :shake:

seriously, if it smells fermented then it could be contamination.  wait and see what happens. 

edit: oh yea shrinkage is normal in colonized jars

Edited by houshroom (09/23/03 10:13 AM)

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: houshroom]
    #1943915 - 09/23/03 10:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

#1947168 - 09/24/03 07:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

it sounds like its fully colonised. If I missed out on this fact before, then sorry. Anyhow, if it is colonised, then case. Mycelia shrink, when using water, and so if they dont get anymore, then they will shrink. Condensation is a sign of growth, as heat is emissioned from the mycelium. (That's good!) The yellow stuff are fluids the mycelium emissions.(Shroom-shit, if you want) It's not bad, and just shows that your mycelium has been incubating a longer period of time. (Even shrooms need a piss now and then)
And i its not fully colonised, then I really dont know. :frown:

--------------------

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

#1947272 - 09/24/03 08:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the outside walls of the jar arnt covered yet so i dont beleave its fully colonized. ands its only been like 6 days. I just dont know what else to say im just as baffeled.

--------------------

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

#1947292 - 09/24/03 08:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You're right, 6 days isnt much. Still: Try shaking the whole think and mixing the colonised with the uncolonised. Wate a few days, and then you should see it getting colonised really quick. If so, you're ok.

--------------------

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

#1947520 - 09/24/03 10:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What should i use to stir it. and what would be the best way to sterlize it?

--------------------

OfflineJazzMatazz
addict

#1953800 - 09/26/03 08:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No need to sterilize it, or to take it out of the jar.
You should have 1/3 of the jar without substrate, and thus a bit of space. Shake the jar violently, till the mycelium is broken and mixes with the substrate. (Banging it LIGHTLY on a table might help)
That way the jar satys shut.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom