Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa Flag
Sterilizing cardboard for Azure?
    #19451078 - 01/21/14 01:36 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Hi All,

I have a couple of PDYA dishes colonized with isolated mycelium of P. azurescens, and I am planning on dropping pieces of wedges in a couple of jars containing soaked, opened up pieces of ribbed cardboard.

Should I sterilize the jars containing cardboard, or would it be fine seeing as there are no nutrients in the cardboard for contaminants to grow on? If it should be sterilized, would 30 minutes in the PC suffice?

Thanks in advance!
:mushroom2:

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: ravenfeeder]
    #19451128 - 01/21/14 01:49 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16855401#16855401
not sure if that helps or not but give it a one over

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: cronicr]
    #19451155 - 01/21/14 01:59 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16855401#16855401
not sure if that helps or not but give it a one over

Thanks bro!

A link is all I need :cheers: sometimes the search function doesn't always give one the answers one exactly seeks
Lemme check it out!

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

InvisibleSkinty
TOP SECRET

#19451539 - 01/21/14 06:15 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I am thinking of doing something like this and figured it would be best to sterilise. I mean - if the soaked cardboard is in jars then why not :shrug: would give better peace of mind for me.

The part of my plan for this I'm unsure about is how to get the cardboard back out the jars once colonised :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinethoraxx
Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bavaria
Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: Skinty]
    #19451743 - 01/21/14 07:43 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Id roll up a piece of cardboard, so it formes a cylinder that fits into your jar
Then you could just pop it out and unroll it in a tub to drop your substrate ontop
Would work best with LC tho

Offlineslh980
Average Idiot
 User Gallery

#19451819 - 01/21/14 08:20 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ravenfeeder said:
Should I sterilize the jars containing cardboard, or would it be fine seeing as there are no nutrients in the cardboard for contaminants to grow on? If it should be sterilized, would 30 minutes in the PC suffice?

No nutrients in cardboard? It's made from wood.... There's a lot of wood-loving molds... Especially green ones, Trich being the one you'd probably get hit with first if you didn't sterilize your cardboard..

Yes, PC it, 30 minutes should be okay, I'd personally go 45-60 and just see if cooking it longer is detrimental at all.

Also if it's in season there's Teks you can try with leaving your cardboard outside and then you don't have to PC...

Cardboard Spawn Tek

Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: slh980]
    #19451898 - 01/21/14 08:46 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

slh980 said:
Quote:

ravenfeeder said:

No nutrients in cardboard? It's made from wood.... There's a lot of wood-loving molds... Especially green ones, Trich being the one you'd probably get hit with first if you didn't sterilize your cardboard..

Yes, PC it, 30 minutes should be okay, I'd personally go 45-60 and just see if cooking it longer is detrimental at all.

Also if it's in season there's Teks you can try with leaving your cardboard outside and then you don't have to PC...

Cardboard Spawn Tek

Good point. Well I boiled the cardboard in the water in the sealed jar for one hour, then drained it in my glove box and sealed back up and allowed to cool. Thereafter I layered the cardboard with azure wedges still in the the jar within the glove box and sealed her up. In the plastic lid are 4 1/4" holes for GE. Covered with two layers of Micropore Tape.

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

Offlineslh980
Average Idiot
 User Gallery

#19451932 - 01/21/14 09:00 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting way to go about it.. I never would have put it in a jar but that's just me... Jar's are for brf and grains.. not cardboard... IDK let us know how it turns out!

PS that tek I posted isn't guaranteed success.. There's a high likelyhood of contaminates overtaking cardboard like that. But sometimes it can work and if you spawn directly to woodchips you may get lucky!

But since you already used agar I would have used something else... Grains or sawdust or something idk much about azure cultivation.

Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: slh980]
    #19456175 - 01/22/14 04:26 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

slh980 said:
Interesting way to go about it.. I never would have put it in a jar but that's just me... Jar's are for brf and grains.. not cardboard... IDK let us know how it turns out!

PS that tek I posted isn't guaranteed success.. There's a high likelyhood of contaminates overtaking cardboard like that. But sometimes it can work and if you spawn directly to woodchips you may get lucky!

But since you already used agar I would have used something else... Grains or sawdust or something idk much about azure cultivation.

Well it's done, as sterile as I could at the time so let's see, and I'll keep you posted:stoned:

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19456267 - 01/22/14 05:50 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

This isn't going to work.  Cardboard is a piss-poor substrate material in the best of conditions.  It certainly isn't going to work in a jar where you can't get it out or shake it.  Even if it colonizes, what then?

Make a bunch of grain spawn, and then use it to inoculate outdoor wood/sawdust beds in the spring.  If you want a jump start, use grains to inoculate filter patch bags of sawdust all winter, so you have lots of sawdust spawn ready for spring.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineslh980
Average Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19456476 - 01/22/14 07:55 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
This isn't going to work.  Cardboard is a piss-poor substrate material in the best of conditions.  It certainly isn't going to work in a jar where you can't get it out or shake it.  Even if it colonizes, what then?

Make a bunch of grain spawn, and then use it to inoculate outdoor wood/sawdust beds in the spring.  If you want a jump start, use grains to inoculate filter patch bags of sawdust all winter, so you have lots of sawdust spawn ready for spring.
RR

Just to make sure I get this strait..

-Expand myc on Agar
-Transfer to Rye
-Rye to sawdust
-Sawdust to outdoor beds.

Seems easy, I gotta give this a try... Will I be screwed though once they go outside since the RH where I live averages 40% in the summer?

Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19457019 - 01/22/14 10:47 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ah horse poo... I have done that with a previous batch and it seemed to colonize the wheat grains quite slowly. Is this normal for Azurescens? It took about a month for a half pint to fully colonize, including the shake at 20% after inoculation (with an agar wedge).

If and when these cardboard pieces are fully colonized,  I will seperate them from each other and toss a piece or two in quart jars of cereal-sized oak sawdust/shavings, after pasteurizing it for 90 minutes between 140 and 160 degrees Fahrenheit. In the meantime I will also be inoculating new half pint jars of sterilized grains with Azurescens wedges. Will these species also benefit from a weak coffee solution and a teaspoon of gypsum added to the soaking of the grains?

Thanks for the insight RR!

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Loc: Church of the SubGenus
    #19458544 - 01/22/14 04:33 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ask psylosymonreturns about how he does it. He puts it in flower pots because apparently he was having a problem with creatures eating the colonized grain/chips when he sprinkled it into beds outside.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Loc: Church of the SubGenus
    #19458575 - 01/22/14 04:37 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but did you put azures in poo? If you're wondering why they did shittily (har har) in poo, it's because they don't eat poo, they eat wood. :lol:

I'm thinking that's probably not what you meant. I've heard they take a really long time to colonize, though.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #19460147 - 01/22/14 10:34 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I'm totally with RR , agar to grain . Rye grain is key, after a week or 2 give it a good shake. It's not talked about much but the aggressive woodies like to be shaken. That's the point of grain, each kernel is an inoculation point. And once colonized you have hundreds of inoc points from a single jar of grain spawn to mix in with wood chips.

Card board is a useful tool but an inferior substrate.

But to answer your question cardboard is very resistant to contams. I experimented last year by putting pasteurized cardboard chunks right on colonized agar dishes. Then put the cardboard after it was colonized and mixzed with sawdust and chips.  I was successful generating spawn this way with P allenii and P serbica . So it is possible to bypass grain but its detrimental and not beneficial . Grain speeds things up big time!!

Edited by psylosymonreturns (01/22/14 10:40 PM)

Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #19460611 - 01/23/14 12:50 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BittrBuffalo said:
Ask psylosymonreturns about how he does it. He puts it in flower pots because apparently he was having a problem with creatures eating the colonized grain/chips when he sprinkled it into beds outside.

Quote:

BittrBuffalo said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but did you put azures in poo? If you're wondering why they did shittily (har har) in poo, it's because they don't eat poo, they eat wood. :lol:

I'm thinking that's probably not what you meant. I've heard they take a really long time to colonize, though.

Haha, no I didn't add the azure grains to horse poo.  I was just cussing. I added it to pasteurized Rooibos in jars, but then saw some of the grains getting wet spot with time, so those I will simply toss into my patch, regardless of what might nibble on the grains, I am sure some of the mycelium will take hold of the bedding's oak wood chips and oak debris I have added a month ago to the patch. I also soaked the grains prior to adding it to the Rooibos, so that soak water I have already also added to the patch, with all the mycelium fragments floating within. The more the merrier right?:cheers:

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

Offlineravenfeeder
Wherever I May Grow
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #19460616 - 01/23/14 12:52 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
I'm totally with RR , agar to grain . Rye grain is key, after a week or 2 give it a good shake. It's not talked about much but the aggressive woodies like to be shaken. That's the point of grain, each kernel is an inoculation point. And once colonized you have hundreds of inoc points from a single jar of grain spawn to mix in with wood chips.

Card board is a useful tool but an inferior substrate.

But to answer your question cardboard is very resistant to contams. I experimented last year by putting pasteurized cardboard chunks right on colonized agar dishes. Then put the cardboard after it was colonized and mixzed with sawdust and chips.  I was successful generating spawn this way with P allenii and P serbica . So it is possible to bypass grain but its detrimental and not beneficial . Grain speeds things up big time!!

I will be adding azure isolate wedges to grain, again, and then once fully colonized, add to sawdust. The cardboard discs will also go to jars of pasteurized sawdust once fully colonized.

--------------------
"Live & Let Live"

OfflinePancyan2023lve
Stranger
    #28580701 - 12/13/23 01:58 AM (3 months, 13 days ago)

Hello I have a question.
Is it possible to inoculate cardboard with an agar wedge or with grain spawn ?

OfflineScrewup
Googles your dumb questions
Trans-female

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: Pancyan2023lve]
    #28580713 - 12/13/23 02:14 AM (3 months, 13 days ago)

Excellent bump on a 10 year old thread old chap.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Help US help YOU TEK

2023 Dehydrator TEK

Offlinesyri
Etard
Female

Re: Sterilizing cardboard for Azure? [Re: Screwup]
    #28581086 - 12/13/23 10:37 AM (3 months, 13 days ago)

I'd go with a print and a brf tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag