Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinealucard
alucard
Alright....this information is overwhelming.
    #1945529 - 09/23/03 08:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

After reading and reading about mushroom culivation, I have come to one conclusion: there is an ass-load of information. I am merely a person planning on growing mushrooms, but there seems to be hundreds of techniques to begin this process. I see mycobags, spawnbags, syringes, spores, and all of this other mushroom-related speech.

Here is my understanding. Growing mushrooms is essentially broken into two parts; cultivating and fruiting. That is probably wrong.

What are the advantages of the mycobag as opposed to another method?
Also...how the hell do you control the amount of humidity and the temperature within a fruiting chamber? (Within the means of a budget)
Is ordering a kit the best thing for a newbie?

I guess my question basically is this: what is the EASIEST and most COST EFFECTIVE form of growing mushrooms (and yes, i've UTFSE).

I'm sure i'll be able to ask more specific questions when I get so me responses asking for more info. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: alucard]
    #1945545 - 09/23/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

stay away from the kits......sounds like this is your first time so I'd start with the pf tek...the only thing you may wanna change is using perlite or geolite for humidity instead of using a spay shield....baby steps my friend....once you've successfully fruited you can try mix and matching teks(or following them exactly its your call) and find what works best for you

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: ]
    #1945613 - 09/23/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah you have to learn to crawl before asking for the keys to the plane. What it is all about is understanding how the fungus lives and its life cycle. Once you realize this you can further learn how to take care of them.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: SixCee]
    #1945625 - 09/23/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yea i say Pf-tek too...  its easy and simple!

:smile: 

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1945631 - 09/23/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Grow Log
Tek : PF
Strain : South American [SA]
Spores : Came from homemade prints. 36 total jars to be injected.
Substrate :Brown Rice Flour [BRF] and Vermiculite [Verm]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10:15 PM 3/4/03 : Project is started. Jar prep is just putting small holes in the lids for the spore syringe and then taping them closed until inoculation. Tape used is the standard black electrical tape. First batch of jars is mixed. The mix used is 2 parts verm, 1 part water, and 1 part brf. [ This mix is the max fruiting formula by PF.] Mix is put into 1/2 pint canning jars lightly, not packed in, and left it airy. Put substrate in until it reaches the threads of the jar, then add dry verm the rest of the way.
Jars are PCd at 10psi or 240f for a period of 45 minutes. Then jars were left to sit overnight to cool.

8:39 PM 3/5/2003 : First batch of jars injected. (24 jars)

10:04 AM 3/6/2003 : Incubator is running to low 77F. Going to turn it up today.

5:45 PM 3/6/2003 : Second batch of jars is in the PC will be injected tomorrow. Turned up incubator runs at 83F. 86F is the best and if the incubator is 83F and myc growing in the jars is suppose to create a little heat I figure this should work out well.

1:11 PM 3/7/2003 : Second batch of jars is done. (12 jars)

12:10 PM 3/9/2003 : Jars are doing good, no signs of contams

2:54 AM 3/19/2003 : Tape removed from the holes today and coffee filters put over the top of the jars for added protection. Holes were opened so the CO2 in the jars could escape. I gave 12 jars to a friend who kept fucking up. 24 jar?s about 75%done.

12:13 PM 3/22/2003 : Well it's Saturday and the jars will probably be done by the 25th. So it was 36 jars. 12 were given to a friend, 24 done by Tuesday.

10:26 PM 3/23/2003 : 15 jars were done enough to put into dunk. I dunk and cold shock before birthing and after every flush. The other 9 jars have a spot the size of a pea that has to be covered so I'll do those on the 25th.

7:17 PM 3/24/2003 : 15 jars put into the pod. Put in and put a layer of moist verm on top. With geolite I just put the cakes on it. With some other chambers I put the cake on a lid filled with verm. This is done to give the shrooms on the bottom and the top of the cake some added moisture.
The other 9 jars just finished so I'm going to give them a couple more days to make sure the middle of the cake is done.

4:57 PM 3/27/2003 : 5 More cakes birthed today, 4 left going to do them tomorrow or 3/29/2003

3:58 PM 3/29/2003 : Well I lost another cake. My wife's little 1 cake pod made from a 2 liter and a small fish pump and a little geolite used up her last cake so I gave her a SA to grow. The last 3 are in the cold shock dunk.
So the total is 36 jars done all colonized with no contams. 12 given to a friend, 1 to the wife, 23 mine

12:08 PM 3/30/2003 : Last of jars put in

12:02 PM 3/31/2003 : The first 15 cakes are pinning nicely and some have shrooms coming from the bottom.

11:01 AM 4/3/2003 : Things look to be going well.

1:02 AM 4/4/2003 : Took the first flush from four of the cakes. More will be done later today.

5/8/2003 : Total 23 cakes 164 grams dried.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: Magash]
    #1945689 - 09/23/03 08:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Start with mycobags. It doesn't get any easier than that. Don't listen to anyone when they say to do the PF Tek first. You can do that only after you've done mycobags. With the bags, it's nearly impossible to fuck it up or get contams. All you do is inject and wait. No fucking around with temps, humidity, etc. As long as your apt/house is room temperature you'll be fine. If you want it hotter, put it in the closet or attic. That simple.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

The most work I did with these bags is breaking up the substrate to spread around the mycellium to make it colonize faster. Other than that, I just injected and waited 2 months.

InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: Superbowl Bob]
    #1945788 - 09/23/03 09:26 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Check this out:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

Everything you would ever want to know.....ever.

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: Superbowl Bob]
    #1945799 - 09/23/03 09:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

:lol: Laviathian what are you talking about? You learn almost nothing from spawn bags. Use PF-Tek ,cheaper, waaaay better yeild,and you learn A WHOLE bunch. Listen to Magash.

Offlinealucard
alucard
    #1945923 - 09/23/03 10:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I liked the post from Magash. Got a few questions though...

You say you put 'substrate' in the jars. Did you put a mix of vermiculite, brown rice, and water (and is this just for the sake of increasing humidity), and then more verm on top?

After you pressure canned them, you put them in the incubator. What did you make that out of, and how much did you spend? Is that a temp. and humidity regulator or what?

What is the 'pod' consisting of?

Also, is that an abnormally awesome yield (164g dried! i'd love that), or is that a typical yield with that strain?

Sorry for all of the ignorant questions. Already alot has been answered for me.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1945975 - 09/23/03 10:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ad the water to the verm first. (you'll see how much easier it is to make a good mix if you do this) then put it in up to the threads. The verm you see on top has no moisture in it put it in dry, it's for protection from contams.

The incubator is just two rubbermades and a fish tank heater. I ad the pump on my own for a little more even heating but it's not that important.

Poorman's Pod

Typical cube yeild.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1946022 - 09/23/03 10:41 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

if you think the information on growing mushrooms is overwhelming, try looking at the info on growing pot. I've read a whole lot of stuff here on shroomery, but i went and took a look at overgrow.com and I just decided that hobby would take way too much effort. Am I wrong any of you growers?

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: shwowsh]
    #1946039 - 09/23/03 10:47 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My friend agrees with you shwowsh . He just joined Overgrow and the amount of information available there makes him dizzy.  :nut:

He just started his first weed grow, but so far it doesn't seem any more difficult than mush cultivation. It's a bit more expensive to start though. 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinecheech101
most likely alittle hazy

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: dog]
    #1946165 - 09/23/03 11:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

hey magash,

My next project is going to be your poor mans pod, because Im sick of having to fan and hand mist. My question to you is what size rubermaid did you use in those pictures. That is the size that Im looking for.

-cheech

--------------------
"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

InvisibleFiend_13
Lord

Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: cheech101]
    #1946174 - 09/23/03 11:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah what size and what kind of rubber made is that? starlite?

--------------------

Offlinealucard
alucard
RE [Re: Fiend_13]
    #1946240 - 09/24/03 12:00 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Also, you inocculated 36 jars...I assume that's more than a single 10-12cc spore syringe? How much total money did you spend on that 'equipment'? You seem to have this science down pat.

Edited by alucard (09/24/03 12:03 AM)

InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1946375 - 09/24/03 12:51 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What am I talking about???

"I guess my question basically is this: what is the EASIEST and most COST EFFECTIVE form of growing mushrooms"

Now, which is easier and more cost effective:

injecting a few mycobags and letting them sit for 2 months, or:

buying 12 jars, a pressure cooker, making your own substrate, sterilizing it, punching holes in the lids, birthing cakes, buying a terrarium setup, etc.

There's nothing easier and more cost effective than a mycobag. If you want shrooms, inject one and wait. That's all you do.

He didnt say anything about wanting to learn how, just whats the easiest and most cost effective way.

OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
    #1946452 - 09/24/03 01:15 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

alucard said:
You say you put 'substrate' in the jars. Did you put a mix of vermiculite, brown rice, and water (and is this just for the sake of increasing humidity), and then more verm on top?

After you pressure canned them, you put them in the incubator. What did you make that out of, and how much did you spend? Is that a temp. and humidity regulator or what?

What is the 'pod' consisting of?

alucard this makes me feel like you want to be spoon fed your information instead of reading the teks.

"After you pressure canned them, you put them in the incubator. What did you make that out of, and how much did you spend? Is that a temp. and humidity regulator or what?" Do a Search For incubator

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: shwowsh]
    #1946465 - 09/24/03 01:20 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Theres more to it but it?s not that bad. What do I know.

--------------------

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: Alright....this information is overwhelming. [Re: Magash]
    #1946613 - 09/24/03 02:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

ahhh crazy magash... :grin:

Maybe sometime i'll pm you about a Johny Potseed idea I have. I've got some questions, and I know just tossin seeds around isn't gunna cut it. But I still think there should be a fairly simple way to that just as there are simple and hard ways to grow mushrooms.

And just to add to actual topic of this thread, if its worth anything, for my friends first attempt (second attempt actually, but the first didn't really count, on premise that he really had no clue what he was doing) he'll most likely do the PF tek, but may also try a couple different variations, like rolling a dunked cake in verm, and things like that etc. did I also read somewhere that was your creation magash?

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #1946673 - 09/24/03 02:48 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Focus on one method, then there won't be an information overload.

As for what's the "best method", everyone will differ in view because everyone's needs are different. It's like asking, "what's the best way to grow pot?".

There are no "best methods", only what's best for you. :smile: 

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Mycobags, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation