Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #19450146 - 01/20/14 10:06 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I might get torn to shreds for asking this, but why isn't minimum wage enough to live on? I'm at college now, and don't "really" live on my own, but I live off campus. I pay for and cook my own meals. Pay rent, utilities.

My rent is $310 a month. Utilities are ~$40. I spend around $150 on food (I eat on campus a lot, so I could probably shrink that). What's left? Health insurance? I'm still on my family's plan. Health insurance is what, $150/month? Maybe up to $300 if you want really good coverage.

So 310+40+150+150/300=650/800. And minimum wage here is $8 an hour. 8x40x4=1280. Not to mention that minimum wage is going up here in June (California) to $9, so an extra $160/month.

What else is there? I think I'm just ignorant. But if you have food, shelter, healthcare, and money leftover. What else is there?

I have roommates, I take the bus everywhere (subsidized by the school, but I could just as easily bike), I don't live glamorously but I do have spare money to smoke weed and play video games. Eat out sometimes. Drink beer.

Edited by Shroomerited (01/20/14 10:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: NotTheDevil]
    #19450159 - 01/20/14 10:08 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

The university I go to is tough enough that if I graduate I will have a career, shitty initial pay or not I will have a job.

Invisiblemoonrockmushy
High on Spite
 User Gallery

Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: Shroomerited]
    #19450183 - 01/20/14 10:12 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerited said:
I might get torn to shreds for asking this, but why isn't minimum wage enough to live on? I'm at college now, and don't "really" live on my own, but I live off campus. I pay for and cook my own meals. Pay rent, utilities.

My rent is $310 a month. Utilities are ~$40. I spend around $150 on food (I eat on campus a lot, so I could probably shrink that). What's left? Health insurance? I'm still on my family's plan. Health insurance is what, $150/month? Maybe up to $300 if you want really good coverage.

So 310+40+150+160+150/300=810/960. And minimum wage here is $8 an hour. 8x40x4=1280. Not to mention that minimum wage is going up here in June (California) to $9, so an extra $160/month.

What else is there? I think I'm just ignorant. But if you have food, shelter, healthcare, and money leftover. What else is there?

I have roommates, I take the bus everywhere (subsidized by the school, but I could just as easily bike), I don't live glamorously but I do have spare money to smoke weed and play video games. Eat out sometimes. Drink beer.

That is really cheap rent and you aren't factoring in taxes.

It is enough to live on, its not enough to support a child, live well, or have extra money.

Without it though many people would make less, so it is a good thing.

Imagine paying for your school on minimum wage.

InvisibleRiderOnTheStorm
Reject thug culture
 User Gallery

Loc: Hug a hippie today
    #19450186 - 01/20/14 10:13 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomerited said:

So 310+40+150+160+150/300=810/960. And minimum wage here is $8 an hour. 8x40x4=1280. Not to mention that minimum wage is going up here in June (California) to $9, so an extra $160/month.

Fucking hell where is rent $310 a month, Idaho? I agree with you mostly but damn that's half of what I consider a small city rent to be and I don't live in CA or NY.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #19450193 - 01/20/14 10:14 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
Minimum wage should go up with INFLATION

not raising it is fucking bullshit

it's the same as not having interest in your bank account

Minimum wage is basically at a all-time low (1938) in (inflation adjusted) real terms.

Strong wages for the bottom or minimum wage earners is NOT inflationary. When the minimum wage was at its highest level in real term (1950-60's), inflation was not a problem.

Why is the minimum wage at a all-time low in real terms today?  Because we have an excess pool of workers, too much labor supply relative to demand.

The problem is not going away, today US workers are now competing with the global workforce, workers in China, Mexico, India, ect are driving down US wages.

Hiking the minimum wage will NOT create economic prosperity for the majority of low skilled workers, there are no solutions, once our government decided to let companies ship work overseas, the US worker and wages were doomed.

Edited by qman (01/20/14 10:19 PM)

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

#19450200 - 01/20/14 10:15 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

moonrockmushy said:
Quote:

Shroomerited said:

So 310+40+150+150/300=650/800. And minimum wage here is $8 an hour. 8x40x4=1280. Not to mention that minimum wage is going up here in June (California) to $9, so an extra $160/month.

That is really cheap rent and you aren't factoring in taxes.

It is enough to live on, its not enough to support a child, live well, or have extra money.

Without it though many people would make less, so it is a good thing.

Imagine paying for your school on minimum wage.

Really cheap rent? I guess. I mean I'm living with roommates.

And taxes? So about 30% gives me around ~$900 which is enough (in my original calculations, a $160 entered in).

If I was working minimum wage, I wouldn't be paying for school. Most people I know who are poor that go here get their tuition covered plus money.

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: RiderOnTheStorm]
    #19450213 - 01/20/14 10:17 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RiderOnTheStorm said:
Quote:

Shroomerited said:

Fucking hell where is rent $310 a month, Idaho? I agree with you mostly but damn that's half of what I consider a small city rent to be and I don't live in CA or NY.

I live in California, and like I said, I have roommates. I have my own room, just live with some people. I think the overall rent of the place is something like $1500 or so, split over 4 people.

InvisibleRiderOnTheStorm
Reject thug culture
 User Gallery

#19450246 - 01/20/14 10:22 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

What part of CA, if you don't mind me asking? That's cheap enough to pique my curiosity, I've always ruled out the west coast over cost.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#19450272 - 01/20/14 10:26 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

If I wasn't on my rents plan, auto insurance would be at least 200 bucks for basic liability

then driving to school back and fourth thats like 5 bucks a day so 80$ bucks a month
food? lets say it's the same everywhere then 150$

That's 500 bucks right there and I dont even have a place to live
so I get a room 300bucks to stay at someones house not have any friends over lol

o.k. 800dollars

so working part time at min wage would get me like 7.25x50hours-30$tax 330 dollars x2 paychecks = 660$

We shouldn't be giving a speech about going to college in highschool we should be giving a speech about going to your job every single day for the next 3-4 years to make some actual 'kind of' money to just support outselves when we can't work fulltime with going to school and all, most of my friends only work during the summer or are smart enough they're on scholarship and their parents pay

I had a job making 9$, after food and gas it was minimum wage still just at a 40 hour a week job

this is a reason a lot of people in circumstances must absolutely take out loans and pay with credit even with extremely low college fee's

if I'm bullshit for complaining while living at my rents house then don't be mad about people on welfare when they have families

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: Konyap]
    #19450288 - 01/20/14 10:29 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
If I wasn't on my rents plan, auto insurance would be at least 200 bucks for basic liability

then driving to school back and fourth thats like 5 bucks a day so 80$ bucks a month
food? lets say it's the same everywhere then 150$

That's 500 bucks right there and I dont even have a place to live
so I get a room 300bucks to stay at someones house not have any friends over lol

o.k. 800dollars

so working part time at min wage would get me like 7.25x50hours-30$tax 330 dollars x2 paychecks = 660$

We shouldn't be giving a speech about going to college in highschool we should be giving a speech about going to your job every single day for the next 3-4 years to make some actual 'kind of' money to just support outselves when we can't work fulltime with going to school and all, most of my friends only work during the summer or are smart enough they're on scholarship and their parents pay

I had a job making 9$, after food and gas it was minimum wage still just at a 40 hour a week job

this is a reason a lot of people in circumstances must absolutely take out loans and pay with credit even with extremely low college fee's

if I'm bullshit for complaining while living at my rents house then don't be mad about people on welfare when they have families

Thats 3x whats necessary for food.

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

#19450298 - 01/20/14 10:30 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I mean I'm all for raising the minimum wage. Because it gives more money to the poorest, and I'm down with that.

The only thing I can see is raising a family. But that's not the fault of minimum wage. That's the fault of people choosing to have a family. I know there are people who lose their jobs, and I feel bad for them, but that's just a fluke.

I'm down with minimum wage, and increasing it (because fuck rich people). I think I'm just ignorant though.

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

#19450324 - 01/20/14 10:35 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RiderOnTheStorm said:
What part of CA, if you don't mind me asking? That's cheap enough to pique my curiosity, I've always ruled out the west coast over cost.

Somewhere no one would ever live if not for the school.

InvisibleRiderOnTheStorm
Reject thug culture
 User Gallery

#19450328 - 01/20/14 10:35 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:lolwut: you're getting raped on the insurance or you're a really shitty driver if you're paying $200 for liability. I pay $80 for full coverage with a major provider.

If you are making $7.25 after several years in the work force you are retarded. Even fast food jobs give raises at 6 months or a year.

If you take out loans you are living beyond your means. Period. Learn a damn skill, fuck school it's overrated.

@ Shroomerited, increasing minimum wage only affects 2.5% of the population.

--------------------

Offlineandrewmurray86
Θεολογος
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hunter Valley, NSW Flag
    #19450343 - 01/20/14 10:38 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

In Australia, our minimum wage is about $620 a week for a full time employee or about $16.20/hr (or close to that).

That may sound a lot but we pay about twice as much for things here. I'ts not really above the poverty line, just right about on it. In fact I reckon a lot of people would really struggle if they earned that much.

Our current government is looking for spending cuts. We have massive tax breaks for large companies and larger ones for foreign companies (a necessary evil perhaps?). Yet the govt keeps cutting services and increasing tax breaks for larger companies while leaving the average Joe in the lurch.

We have a pretty good system at the moment for welfare but it's going to get worse as the government cuts it in the future looking to save money without actually increasing their income, just decreasing their spending. It's a bit shit really.

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

#19450350 - 01/20/14 10:39 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RiderOnTheStorm said:
:lolwut: you're getting raped on the insurance or you're a really shitty driver if you're paying $200 for liability. I pay $80 for full coverage with a major provider.

If you are making $7.25 after several years in the work force you are retarded. Even fast food jobs give raises at 6 months or a year.

If you take out loans you are living beyond your means. Period. Learn a damn skill, fuck school it's overrated.

@ Shroomerited, increasing minimum wage only affects 2.5% of the population.

Lol, I was actually going to post something like that but decided not to.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2012tbls.htm

There are 1.7 million people over the age of 25 working minimum wage (minus a lot that are retired and killing time, or housewives looking for something to do, or whatever). So if you look at the people that are ADULTS who are TRYING TO LIVE on minimum wage, it's more like 1 million (pulled out of my ass) or so. 1/330=.3%

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: RiderOnTheStorm] * 1
    #19450374 - 01/20/14 10:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

increasing minimum wage only affects 2.5% of the population.

That depends on how much you raise it.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
    #19450393 - 01/20/14 10:47 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

moonrockmushy said:
Quote:

FruitOfLife said:
Im in the Teamsters union and I love it. They have their pros and cons but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. At least with our company.

Fuck the teamsters.  They took way too much of my money for what I got from them.  They are so huge though I'm sure some of the jobs are great, but they don't care about the people on bottom.

Yeah, I was in the teamsters when I worked for UPS.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

InvisibleRiderOnTheStorm
Reject thug culture
 User Gallery

#19450403 - 01/20/14 10:49 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

And here they'd have you believe that they are the 99%

Oh minimum wage
For lazy unskilled dismay,
We must be your slaves

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Re: Message for haters of the minimum salary [Re: NotTheDevil]
    #19450433 - 01/20/14 10:57 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

NotTheDevil said:

are you smoking rocks son?
I spend mad money on food
5 dollars is one lunch at school/work
so 150$ minimum

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

#19450459 - 01/20/14 11:05 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
Quote:

NotTheDevil said:

are you smoking rocks son?
I spend mad money on food
5 dollars is one lunch at school/work
so 150$ minimum

Cook, dammit!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds