Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
America's shameful schools.
    #1941923 - 09/22/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: America's shameful schools. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1941950 - 09/22/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with the gist of the article(which is a first for an article on that website). The education system is fucked up, and money alone isn't going to solve the problem. The education system needs some serious reform.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#1941951 - 09/22/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

public highschool was a joke, and i went to a relatively good one. oh well... they taught me how to read, write, and do algebra. i can take it from there.

Anonymous

Re: America's shameful schools. [Re: ]
    #1942580 - 09/22/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

HS taught me to read, write, and despise authority. That's all I need.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: America's shameful schools. [Re: Adden]
    #1942648 - 09/22/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think the point being made is that maybe children would be able to read and write before they reach high school -- if they were taught correctly.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: America's shameful schools. [Re: Phred]
    #1942657 - 09/22/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i learned nothing of importance from any one of my high school classes. it was a complete joke and waste of time. i'd classify it more as daycare than education.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1942674 - 09/22/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yup me too. I learned more in my first month of college than I did in four years of high school.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1942695 - 09/22/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm.

I learned differential calculus, chemistry, physics, geology, and read some great literature I would likely not have ever bothered to read without prodding -- I remember fondly the discussions following the reading of "Fahrenheit 451", "Huckleberry Finn", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "1984", "A Clockwork Orange" and others.

I really enjoyed the Comparative Religions course I took in senior year, and the Pre-History course (by the same teacher) was excellent. The Introduction to Philosophy and Logic course was great. A couple of geography courses stand out as well. Reading large swaths of Homer and Thucydides wasn't particularly fun, but I definitely learned from it.

Sorry to hear your high school experience was so lame.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1942701 - 09/22/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I went to a Catholic school. It was pretty cool, except for the religious indoctrination part.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

#1942709 - 09/22/03 10:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Fahrenheit 451", "Huckleberry Finn", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "1984", "A Clockwork Orange"

good luck finding a public school these days that hasn't banned these from the curriculum.

Comparative Religions

or that.

The Introduction to Philosophy and Logic course was great.

that's not offered in any public high school i'm aware of.

yep.  :thumbdown:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1942739 - 09/22/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Surely there are must still be public high schools where Mark Twain is read? And the principles of logic are taught? And at least some general overview course of the great religions and philosophers (doesn't have to be in great depth) is available?

I went to school from the late Fifties to early Seventies (in Canada, though), so I figured things have changed. Just not that much. Maybe in states other than the one where you went to high school, things are different.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

#1942769 - 09/22/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i sure hope so...

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1942998 - 09/22/03 11:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

High school is a joke. I was stoned for 4 years (for the most part) and I passed with A's and B's. I never once studied for a test or spent more than 15 minutes on my homework.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1943091 - 09/22/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"Fahrenheit 451", "Huckleberry Finn", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "1984", "A Clockwork Orange"

Besides Huckleberry Finn,I believe all those books were outright banned or seriously frowned upon at my school.We read Fahrenheit 451 but I think my teacher got bitched at and warned to not teach any more Bradbury.

In 11th grade English we read The Crucible and the teacher didn't even go over anything about McCarthyism. That was basically the last straw and I dropped out.

My high school experience was horrible. Like others have stated,it was more like babysitting than a school. Most assignments consisted of bullshit "busy work" that taught me little. I learned more by hanging out at the library and reading books in a month or two than I did the whole time I spent in highschool.

People call me an idiot for dropping out,but in retrospect I still think it was the right thing to do.I had job at a dot-com working on computers and I lived with my sister and her boyfriend,who acted like mentors to me.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Anonymous

#1943692 - 09/23/03 08:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Principles of logic taught in a public highschool? :lol:

you're pullin my leg, man. 

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1943749 - 09/23/03 08:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, as I said, this was in Canada over thirty years ago. For all I know they don't teach it in Canadian public high schools anymore either. I took it in ninth grade (is that what they call freshman year in the US?) in the province of New Brunswick, and again in eleventh grade (junior year?) in the province of Ontario. I had also had a very quick introduction (not more than several hour's worth) to the laws of logic in eighth grade in the province of Manitoba, but that was in science class. Or maybe math class, I can't recall exactly now -- I just remember being pretty bored at having to go through it all again a year later in New Brunswick.

I should also point out that the high school stuff didn't take up an entire period every day for a year, either -- there wasn't a separate course named "Logic", it was part of the "introduction to logic and philosophy and the great philosophers" overview course in eleventh grade.

pinky

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1943762 - 09/23/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I did not have any philosophy or religious classes, but I did learn a lot of higher math, chemistry and biology. I don't know what the problem is, but it seems to get worse every year.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1943903 - 09/23/03 10:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

A possible explanation for teachers' resistance to testing children: their resistance to being tested themselves --

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34727

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1944468 - 09/23/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My hight school had several A.P. (Advanced Placement) classes that were good for college credit. I took A.P. Physics, and passed for high school credit, but I didn't take the A.P. test for the college credit.

The teacher said I should have. She thought I would have passed. The final exam was graded on a straight curve. I got the 100, and the next highest grade in the class was a 51.

Half of the "Top Ten" of my graduating class were in that class.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #1944999 - 09/23/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I learned differential calculus, chemistry, physics, geology, and read some great literature I would likely not have ever bothered to read without prodding --

Wow...our high school experiences were completely different. I
literally slept in every class. I never did my homework, never raised
me hand, and I never took a book home.

I still vividly remember getting stuck in French I and getting lost
after the first week because I hated it. At the end of the year
we were expected to be reading, speaking, and writing French. I
barely knew how to say "oui" and count to five.

How the hell did I graduate? I have no clue. I think the teachers
realized I didn't give a shit, but that I wasn't an idiot, so they
just let me slide.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom