Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq
    #1942861 - 09/22/03 10:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq
Sun September 21, 2003 06:47 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said on Sunday he would tell the United Nations he made the right decision to go to war in Iraq despite his failure to obtain Security Council backing for the conflict.

"I will make it clear that I made the right decision and that the others that joined us made the right decision," Bush said in an interview with Fox News Channel's Brit Hume.

Fox released an advance transcript of interview excerpts on Sunday. The full interview is to be broadcast at 8 p.m. EDT on Monday.

Bush, who is to address the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, said he did not consider it essential to grant the U.N. a larger political role in Iraq to obtain a new resolution backing a multinational occupation force. "I'm not so sure we have to, for starters," he said in the Oval office interview.

He said, however, that it would be helpful for the global body to help write an Iraqi constitution or oversee elections.

Bush said he would tell the body that despite differences last year over the use of force in Iraq he would urge U.N. members to come together to work on major global challenges including the rebuilding of Iraq and Afghanistan as well AIDS, hunger, sex slavery and weapons proliferation.

Bush knew.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: Zahid]
    #1943027 - 09/22/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What else can the stupid fuck say? "I lied through my ass and slaughtered 50,000 people to help my corporate sponsors"?

I will make it clear that I made the right decision and that the others that joined us made the right decision

Love that "others who joined us" part. Yep - the Federated Islands of Micronesia and the Solomon Islands really made the right decision  :lol:

he would urge U.N. members to come together to work on major global challenges including the rebuilding of Iraq

In other words "Everythings gone to hell on a shitcart, for gods sake please bail me out before the election next year..."

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: Xlea321]
    #1943396 - 09/23/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Love that "others who joined us" part. Yep - the Federated Islands of Micronesia and the Solomon Islands really made the right decision

Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and Uzbekistan

Quote:

In other words "Everythings gone to hell on a shitcart, for gods sake please bail me out before the election next year..."

I think its more of a call for the UN to get off its arse and actually do something for a change....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: Zahid]
    #1943570 - 09/23/03 05:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

President Bush said on Sunday he would tell the United Nations he made the right decision to go to war in Iraq despite his failure to obtain Security Council backing for the conflict.

He obviously doesnt care that unprovoked aggression is a war crime commited in the name of the US people.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Anonymous

Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: Xlea321]
    #1943634 - 09/23/03 07:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

50,000 people

where did that number come from?

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: ]
    #1943645 - 09/23/03 07:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

His ass as usual.

Anonymous

Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: shakta]
    #1943649 - 09/23/03 07:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i've read the civilian death toll at something around 8,000. i don't know how many iraqi soldiers were killed. if they were conscripts, it's really too bad... if they were loyalists, fuck 'em.

50,000 just sounds outrageous to me...

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: ]
    #1943663 - 09/23/03 07:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Dunno. I heard numbers twice that high during the war for Iraqi soldiers.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1943904 - 09/23/03 10:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

st0nedphucker said:
I think its more of a call for the UN to get off its arse and actually do something for a change....

You say that as if the UN actually has any sort of obligation to do anything. Why should they? We treated them like shit before the war and now we need their help. We're going to have to do some serious grovelling.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: silversoul7]
    #1943910 - 09/23/03 10:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

LMAO....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1943918 - 09/23/03 10:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

silversoul7 writes:

You say that as if the UN actually has any sort of obligation to do anything. Why should they? We treated them like shit before the war and now we need their help.

"We" don't need their help. The Iraqi people do.

And no, the UN doesn't have the obligation to do anything -- which is a good thing, I guess, since they have so amply demonstrated on innumerable occasions their inability and/or unwillingness to do anything.

Finally, the US didn't treat the UN "like shit", the US and the other members of the coalition merely went ahead without waiting for yet another resolution.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: Phred]
    #1943919 - 09/23/03 10:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well said

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1943977 - 09/23/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"We" don't need their help. The Iraqi people do.

Well, we need their help in helping the Iraqi people.

Quote:

And no, the UN doesn't have the obligation to do anything -- which is a good thing, I guess, since they have so amply demonstrated on innumerable occasions their inability and/or unwillingness to do anything.

Perhaps they might have acted differently all along if we had stated our case for this war as being for humanitarian reasons(ending Saddam's reign of terror, ending sanctions, etc.) rather than intelligence reports about WMD's that we knew(or should have known) to be erroneous.

Quote:

Finally, the US didn't treat the UN "like shit", the US and the other members of the coalition merely went ahead without waiting for yet another resolution.

We did more than that. We treated them with utter contempt. We scoffed at them and acted as though they didn't matter. We told them weapons inspections couldn't wait any longer and that we had to go in immediately(funny, sure sounds like an "imminent threat" to me). Now we're in there and still haven't found any of these supposed WMDs, and we can't even admit we were wrong.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1943986 - 09/23/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

They dont matter, really...

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1944034 - 09/23/03 11:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

silversoul7 writes:

Well, we need their help in helping the Iraqi people.

The point is, why should it even be necessary to ask for that help? Isn't that what the UN is supposed to do? Read the UN Charter, then get back to us.

Perhaps they might have acted differently all along if we had stated our case for this war as being for humanitarian reasons(ending Saddam's reign of terror, ending sanctions, etc.) rather than intelligence reports about WMD's that we knew(or should have known) to be erroneous.

Again, I suggest you read the UN's own reports. Every single speech made to the UN mentioned the humanitarian reasons. Every single UN resolution (all seventeen of them) dealing with Iraq post-1991 made a point of condemning the ongoing humanitarian crisis.

*edit* Oh, and by the way, every single one of those same UN Resolutions also mentioned Iraq's failure to provide credible proof of the destruction of the chem and bio weapons Iraq admitted to having. As long as you are at the UN website reading its charter, you might want to spend some time reading the resolutions as well.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people here have no problem convincing themselves of things that never happened -- they accept the pronouncements of the chattering classes as gospel. Guess what? There is such a thing as the Internet these days. It is now possible to read what was actually said rather than rely on the "sound bites" and "high points" and "summaries" given by some talking head in a thousand dollar suit and two hundred dollar razor cut who styles himself a "political analyst".

We did more than that. We treated them with utter contempt. We scoffed at them and acted as though they didn't matter.

Apart from the one comment I recall where Bush (or was it Powell?) warned that if the UN didn't have the courage to actually carry through with some action backing its empty (my characterization -- not Bush's) words, it was in danger of being perceived as irrelevant, I can think of no instance where Bush or Blair treated them with "utter contempt", "scoffed at them", and "acted as though they didn't matter", although of course when it comes to anything other than generating deadly frown beams directed at totalitarian states, the truth is they don't matter. Who here thinks Hussein's goons wouldn't still be feeding folks into wood chippers feet first if the US, the UK and others hadn't acted?

I eagerly await your providing us quotes from Bush or Rumsfeld or Blair or Rice or Powell or Cheney illustrating your claim.

We told them weapons inspections couldn't wait any longer and that we had to go in immediately(funny, sure sounds like an "imminent threat" to me).

You think they should have gone in while the inspectors were still there? Does the word "hostage" mean anything to you?

pinky

--------------------

Edited by pinksharkmark (09/23/03 11:21 AM)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1944139 - 09/23/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You think they should have gone in while the inspectors were still there? Does the word "hostage" mean anything to you?

I said nothing of the sort. What I was referring to was that we basically implied that the inspectors couldn't do the job right, and that Iraq was too much of a threat to give the inspectors the time they needed.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1944168 - 09/23/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

12 years wasn't long enough?

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1944212 - 09/23/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

And how many WMD's were found by the U.N. Weapons inspectors in that time?...How many were found by the U.S. soldiers and inspection teams since then?...I suspect the numbers will be strikingly similar.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (09/23/03 12:05 PM)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Bush to Tell U.N. He Made 'Right Decision' on Iraq [Re: Rono]
    #1944274 - 09/23/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The fact remains that the rest of the world thought he had them Rono. This is detracting from this debate anyway. The question is, do you think that one disagreement should mean, that we should not work with the UN anymore?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1944293 - 09/23/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No they didn't. No-one knew either way. That's a helluva difference between "thinking he had them".

Iraq waged a war of aggression against Kuwait and recieved 12 years of sanctions. The US has waged a war of aggression against Iraq and should recieve similar treatment from the UN. It must learn that you cannot wage war and piss all over international law and then act as tho nothing happened.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder