Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMcDumpsterXI
Hullo!
    #1942056 - 09/22/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

So I was traversing the many links of erowid one day and went from page to page, eventually clicking enough links to lead me here.

Well, ok, there's my background story. I've been lurking here a few days and a lot of this info is really interesting. I'll be honest, I'm a complete newb (Woo for the obvious!) and I haven't even gotten a quarter of the way through all the info you folks have here (And god do you have a lot. I'm impressed.)

Anyways,  My question is:  So where did it all begin for you? Apologies if this has been asked before but there are obviously some people on this board that definately know their shit. So I was curious, what got some of you in to the mycology field?

Personally, I think I'm going to get a kick out of romping through the woods, in search of different kinds of mushrooms, kinda like a bit of a scavenger hunt (not to bring mycology down to a kiddy game level!!) but it seems like a fun hobby. ANyways, before I dig myself a deeper hole, Hello! and Happy hunting :smile: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Hullo! [Re: McDumpsterXI]
    #1942189 - 09/22/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It takes any idiot to go around cow fields picking things- but mycology as an actualized hobby seems to attract a very particular sort. I'd kind of like to know what the hell gets other people into it too. All in all it's really hard work but is somehow meditative and rewarding on a level invisible to the outside observer. Anyway- glad to see you reading up and getting excited- it's the season for many of us and maybe you can pull a few tricks and have some luck with us this year! (You probably would have gotten more responses on another message board like general questions or something like that- just so you know)- but anyway- happy hunting man and good luck reading- they do have a lot and it all seems pretty important!

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Anonymous

Re: Hullo! [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1942244 - 09/22/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I got into Mycology because, well at first I got into it because I was like hey,now I can trip for free,but its totally not like that now,I just love going around after it rains and seeing all of the beatiful sites that mother nature has to offer,wheather it is an active shroom or not isnt really my main objective anymore like it used to be,allthough I still do like to come up on a rare Psilocybin Mushroom every once and a while dont get me wrong,hehe!But anyways,Mushroom Hunting is just really exciting for me beacuse I get to be outside and I love being outside in the GREAT OUTDOORS,second of all Its such an adrenaline rush when you find your very first rare mushroom,wheather it be a Psilocybe or just a Jack-O-Lantern or whatever but its just an awesome feeling to come accross something like that,Because I mean its like you are getting a reward for hunting and being patient,in conclusion I would Just like to say that Mycology is something hard to understand but fun once you get everything down pat,and Mushroom Hunting is just something thats TOTALLY awesome I think,because the regualr person can do it and it doesnt take mush talent,but when ID'ing comes along once you find that ONE mushroom you HAVE TO HAVE SKILL now,because your life is in your own hands once you find that first mushroom and decide to eat it,But anyways sorry this was so long,but I just have to stress how much Mushrooms have to offer,I mean they have been around since this AWESOME EARTH was made by GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace out and GOOD LUCK in whatever you may do!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1942669 - 09/22/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I've always been a fan of mushrooms... Ever since I was a little kid I thought they were just cool as hell. I had revisitied my like of mushrooms in highschool when some fiends started talking about hallucinogenic mushrooms. I got online and did some research, found the shroomery. For some reason hunting just interested me so I registered on the forums and went through the same process all newbs do. I'll admit it, I asked some dumb questions, but I wasn't over eager to trip. That's a key to being treated well on these boards. If you don't act like a highschool kid who's over eager to get "fucked up," you won't be treated like one.

I gradually just learned my stuff, started helping people out, and once I had "proved my knowledge," I was appointed as a mod. I'll let it be known that my knowledge of mushrooms is inferior to some of the people here. ToxicMan, Mr. Mushrooms, and mjshroomer might as well be professional mycologist(mj kinda is). The stuff that they know is way beyond my spectrum of mycological(is that a word?) knowledge. I'll get there someday, when I have time *sigh*.

Edited by GumbyDude (09/22/03 09:52 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hullo! [Re: Gumby]
    #1942922 - 09/22/03 10:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I'll let it be known that my knowledge of mushrooms is inferior to some of the people here.

i'll second that...
uhm, i mean i feel that way aswell :smile:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1942962 - 09/22/03 11:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I actually got started originally with edibles. My grandparents picked morels by the bushel and let me eat some and they were so good that I wanted to find some of that for myself.

As time passed, my interests have widened and varied somewhat, including actives, general mycology, and toxicology. I got involved with the local mycological society a bit over 10 years ago, and that's helped my knowledge greatly. Exposure to professional mycologists has boosted my knowledge incredibly.

I primarily got involved here because I was already an on-call mycology person for the poison center and it occurred to me that if I could keep people from eating some of the poisonous ones in the first place that it would save those people from the poisoning and hopefully reduce the number of emergency room cases and poison center calls. If nothing else, IDing mushrooms out here helps me tune my IDing skills, and I figure that it's a lot more fun than answering the phone at 1 o'clock in the morning and trying to help some guy in an emergency room somewhere guess if they need to start looking for a liver donor.

Gumby, you know more than I did when I was your age. If you keep studying and looking at the mushrooms and being interested, your knowledge will continue to grow. Notice that mjshroomer, Mr_Mushrooms, and I are also among the oldest people out here. I won't speak for the others, but a lot of it is mostly that I've been mushroom hunting for more than 25 years. If you try to study a little, it adds up over that much time.

You might think that my knowledge is similar to the pros, but I see quite a gap there still. That's why I try to take every opportunity to hang out with people like Orson Miller, Jack States, Rick Kerrigan, Cathy Cripps, and Vera Evenson. Those people are really good at it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSmurfydoo
result of Scoobyand Smurf loveaffair
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle WA
    #1943536 - 09/23/03 05:19 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Personally, I think I'm going to get a kick out of romping through the woods, in search of different kinds of mushrooms, kinda like a bit of a scavenger hunt (not to bring mycology down to a kiddy game level!!) but it seems like a fun hobby. ANyways, before I dig myself a deeper hole, Hello! and Happy hunting

That's the way I feel about it as well. It is like a giant scavenger hunt (I don't understand some people, sticking to the same spot every year and never thinking that perhaps there may be other spots.)

I'm a noob like yourself. I started picking P. Cyanescens in 1997. I learned from a friend that had been picking for years. From the first time I found one I was hooked on the hunt.
I don't particularly care if I eat them or not. I have had a couple of less then wonderful experiences with mushrooms and have found that I must be in perfect physical health, as well as the right mood/frame of mind to enjoy a trip.
I usually end up giving the ones I find to a friend that wants them, or else drying them and putting them away for a rainy day. (I personally won't eat a mushroom (hallucinogenic) that wasn't picked by either myself or somebody I trust. I've seen people pick the wrong mushrooms before. The people I knew realized it and didn't eat them....but it could have easily been bad.)

Wow...I seem to be babbling on a bit...

Have fun!!! It's really a giant scavenger hunt and you never know what you will find.

--------------------
Smurfydoo
---------------------

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
Re: Hullo! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1943775 - 09/23/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
Gumby, you know more than I did when I was your age. If you keep studying and looking at the mushrooms and being interested, your knowledge will continue to grow. Notice that mjshroomer, Mr_Mushrooms, and I are also among the oldest people out here. I won't speak for the others, but a lot of it is mostly that I've been mushroom hunting for more than 25 years................

Ditto TM.
Gumby, LK, GG and a few others  may be young fellows, but they are way ahead of where I was at their age. Hell, they're way ahead of me now. They've probably found more magic mushies in a week, than I've found my whole life  :frown:
I've always been interested with anything that lives in the woods, so at around 14 or 15 I bought some Audubon field guides dealing with plants, trees and mushrooms and started trying to ID everything I could find. Had my first psilocybe experience when I was 16, saw in Audubon that P.caerulipes was found in N.C., and started looking for it. Been looking ever since. That was over 25 years ago(you can put me on the old guy list also,TM  :wink: ). And I still haven't found the sneaky thing. But I will find it, damn it.
Mushroom hunting is sort of like a  disease. Once you get the bug, it's hard to shake.
People are gonna think you're strange when you start getting excited because it rained and it's humid as hell outside, and they see you walking around, all bent over, with your eyes to the ground......... :grin:
Good luck hunting

doo   

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Hullo! [Re: doo]
    #1947552 - 09/24/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've always had a strong interest in Psychedelics. In my mis-spent youth I did my fair share of experimentation with LSD, actually more than my fair share :smile: I have a love for the psychedelic experiance that will always be with my spirit.

I've also always loved the outdoors. I grew up hunting and fishing since I was old enough to hold a gun and cast a line :smile: I spend most all my free time outdoors. I've always liked collecting and hunting for things. I have one hell of a rock and crystal collection, and its still growing. I like hunting around for flint/chert arrowheads/tools, I also have a metal detector that I rumage around with, I actually found a fully intact civil war cannon ball last year!

I just feel most comfortable and peacefull outdoors. Sometimes I just find a nice spot in the woods and just sit and watch/listen to nature, my form of meditation you might say. And I've always had somewhat of an interest for mushrooms. I always picked them when I came across some, always in awe over the brillant colors and odd shapes. When I found out that active mushrooms with properties similar to LSD were out there, my love for the outdoors and psychedelics met and came together and brought me to this great hobby of mycology. It was like it was meant to happen and was just a matter of time. Of course I was in love with mycology from day one.

I found out about active mushrooms through a friend who said he was growing "shrooms". I asked how and he told me it was easy and you could order spores over the internet. I figured it was too good to be true and must be some type of high times fake crap. I figured my buddy was probably growing some "legal high" type mushrooms or something alongn those lines. He brought me a bag full of blue stained mushrooms after a few weeks and told me to give em a try. I did some research, made sure these mushrooms were what he said they were. He gave me the latin name "cubensis" to search by, and I ended up at this site. I searched around through a few pictures and came to the conclusion that what he had grown was indeed real Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, and I also saw how easy it was to obtain spores and grow mushrooms. Having never eaten hallucinogenic mushrooms before, the experiance was one I'll never forget, an awe inspiring, beautiful experiance to say the least.  My love of the psychedelic experiance was rekindled, the experiance brought back many good memories of my LSD experimentation. Soon after that I bought a syringe, some jars, tried my hand at growing, was more than sucsessful and ended up with ample amounts of cubensis mushrooms. I later learned that Ps. cubensis could be found growing in cow pastures in my state, did some research, started to frequent the hunting forum here, soaked up all the info I could about hunting Psilocybe mushrooms and before I knew it I was badly addicted to mushroom hunting. My love for hunting active mushrooms soon turned into a love for hunting all kinds of mushrooms. I started trying ID every mushroom I found, got better and better at it, and am still learning more and more everyday.

Thats how I became an addict of this great hobby :smile:

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (09/24/03 11:00 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds