Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs...
    #1942884 - 09/23/03 12:46 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Guys I dunno what is up with this. I am just not cut out for this! Everytime my clone tries to get a decent grow going some freak accident I've never read about happens and shit screws up.

Alrighty so the latest fiasco is this:
My clone does 7 1/4 pint jars PF style for an experiment. After using one for the experiment which has failed he has 6 left. One he ditched and therefor now has 5.

3 1/4 pint cakes he took out and crumbled them for a casing. He crumbled it up very fine and now the subtrate looks like grains and verm like uncolonized PF formula. What's goin on!? All the myc. just 'disappeared' on him...

Then my clone took the other 2 1/4 pint jars and threw em in a zip loc baggy with about 15 1/4 pint (3.75 pints) of bulk substrate. That was yesterday and today the bulk substrate looks just the same! Now my q with this is should he put the bulk substrate and spawn into a pan to colonize or is the baggy fine? The baggie has some holes on the top but I am not sure what to do. Also when should I see some progress with it?

Thanks all you all helped me out before.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Re: Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs... [Re: SixCee]
    #1943109 - 09/23/03 01:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

1 a.m. train to BUMP town!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #1943128 - 09/23/03 02:04 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Whats going on with your crumbed cakes looking like uncolonised PF formula?

One of a few things but probably this:

You didn't let it colonise the core of the cake and you are actually seeing uncolonised substrate.

As for your second question:

Its been one day, how much growth do you expect to have seen in only -24 hours? You can probably fruit from the bag, I would pan it myself prefering that approach but its really up to you. Progress.. well its hard to guage how long it will take. Depends on bulk substrate, whether it was pasturized.. all that jazz..

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Re: Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs... [Re: utopianglory]
    #1943139 - 09/23/03 02:07 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes thanks man. So I am going to make tea out of my crumbled cakes because I do not want to risk them contamming and me losing alot of good casing medium and them ycelium going to waste.

The bulk substrate is in incubation right now. Im wondering wethere or not to transfer it to a pan to let it colonize or leave it in the bag. After it is completely colonized I will case it in a pan. I know I won't see anyting in one day but I wanna know if anyone has an estimate of when I should see anything.

Thanks for the input.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineHigh_On_Magic
Re: Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs... [Re: utopianglory]
    #1943146 - 09/23/03 02:10 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i unno i dont like ziplocks some praise em, and the lil ass jelly jars, i tryed em once they all contamed, i say fuk em, and were your cakes har to bust apart fresh cakes are kind a bitch to break apart i hear, i suggest makin a cake let it make one fruit, throw that shit in ablender, 9ers tek, make up some more pf jars in 1/2 pints and knoc that shit up clones will eat it up quick

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Re: Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs... [Re: High_On_Magic]
    #1943151 - 09/23/03 02:13 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks bros! I am making shroom tea and I am transferring the substrate to a pan for even colonization. Later all and thanks.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1944227 - 09/23/03 02:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

first of all when you crumble up substrate 100% colonized with mycelium it seems to disappear every time, and happens especially with birdseed-dont worry about it. once you break up established mycelium it loses its connection between grains or whatever and its network is broken. it will take 1-4 days (approx) for you to see any new growth but it will be quick after that. if you are going to be transfering your "bulk substrate" (which is what by the way??) to a pan in the end anyway you are just adding on an extra 1-4 days to the fruiting time because it has to rebuild itself again, and in my opinion wastes a bunch of energy. just letting you know why you really want it to be the same pan from teh begininning to fruiting. good luck
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1944292 - 09/23/03 02:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, my myc always seems to "disapear" too, especially with birdseed (like jake said). Whenever you break up a cake or jars of grains really fine this happens, but don't worry the myc is still there. It grows back usually in less than 48 hours for me. My casings always look like this and usually don't contaminate.

What kind of bulk substrate are you using? And why would you necessarily expect to see growth in 24 hours? 2 colonized jars to 15 uncolonized is a pretty small ratio of spawn to bulk. Expect it to take a good while to colonize.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Re: Help me bros! Bulk subst. and casing probs... [Re: Demiurge]
    #1945090 - 09/23/03 06:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

In the FAQ it states that a good spawn ratio is 1 to 10. I got my mush compost from a certain vendor that advertises on shroomery. I don't expect to see major progress in one day. It is 3 days now and the myc in the bulk substrate looks the same as it did on day 1. I expect to see some rhizo growth coming from the small chunks of colonized substrate to colonize the bulk.

I transferred it to a small cardboard box lined with palstic wrap that I will use as a fruiting tray. There is a layero f tin foil over the top with small holes in it. It seems to me from grow logs that bulk substrates colonize blazingly fast in a matter of days. I'll check up on it on friday. THanks for all your input.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
->Quote of the Moment :
----> PMs checked daily.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation