Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
The seed that can't be taken over?
    #1942308 - 09/22/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Howdy folks,

I have experimented with a few birdseeds but I almost feel like this seed (just regular ole finch) cannot be colonised. I remember last time I did like 30 jars and only a few made it past germination to visible mycellium (5 Jars) and I did some more last week and it seems like I'm being denied again. It is extremely frustrating to see no growth I can assure you.

The ingredients are

Sunflower seed, shell grit, honey tweets, honey hoops, millet sprays and wild bird blocks

Anything amiss there?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: The seed that can't be taken over? [Re: utopianglory]
    #1942354 - 09/22/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That sounds like the water content may be off or your birdseed may have a fungicide in it. See if you can find some Hartz brand parakeet feed. It only has millet, oat groats, and canary grass seed. I wouldn't get the bird seed with all of that honey in it and you don't really need any shell grit or sunflower seeds.

Also just look for plain old wild bird seed. It may have some sunflower seeds but you can scoop them out. It will be cheaper than the feed for domesticated birds.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Anonymous

#1942372 - 09/22/03 08:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Um, maybe it's a sign to not use that seed.  Just a thought though, I'm OBVIOUSLY no expert.  Some will tell you worse, I'm sure.  :grin:  Try some more... traditional stuff... like me.  'Cause I'm perfect in EVERY way *cough*.  If something doesn't do well... try something else, I guess.  BRF *should* work, but there are no real hard and fast rules in biology.  There seems to be an antithesis to just about everything.  Have some fun, grow some mush!

'Shroom on.

OfflinePsilopleix
Extended Symbol

Loc: aridzone1
Re: The seed that can't be taken over? [Re: ]
    #1942723 - 09/22/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

get birdseed that lists only 3 or so ingredients. You want to get birdseed that is mostly comprised of red/white proso millet, hulled millet, im sure cracked corn or adding in some rye wouldnt hurt either. Whatever you do make sure your PCing correctly and have the water content right. GL :thumbup: :grin: 

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: The seed that can't be taken over? [Re: Psilopleix]
    #1943107 - 09/22/03 11:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Barcode: I believe you may have cracked it sunshine, only I think we all know that the seed has something wrong with it.

It is certainly not a set back so much as I am going to use BRF/Verm ever again, not that it hasn't been fun..

I was more wondering if somebody had any direct thoughts on those ingredients and the honey probably doesn't help.

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #1943172 - 09/23/03 12:24 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

use straight millet....to quote someone else on these boards...

JOIN THE MILLET.ARY

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies