Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWheedhead!
Test subject #1

Loc: Area 51
Is it possible to cultivate oyster mushrooms using cakes? * 1
    #1346011 - 03/02/03 12:58 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hi there

Is it possible to cultivate oyster mushrooms from cakes (like the PF)
Im thinking of ordering a Hydrapod for this use (not much space for growing) Would this work?

I`ve searched, but not found any teks about this. I really would like a tek for growing oyster shrooms, that does not require alot of growspace, hydrapod maybe?

--------------------
I just  :heart: The Shroomery

Monkeys might fly out of my butt

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. "
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Is it possible to cultivate oyster mushrooms using cakes? [Re: Wheedhead!] * 1
    #1346037 - 03/02/03 01:43 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

A saw dust block would be a better bet for oysters.You know the bag teks instead of the jar ones.They still wont take up much space as you can make the block as big as you like.I dont think theyll do so well on brown rice as they will sawdust.But you could try sawdust jars and then birth as cakes.I think this would be your best bet and both would fit in a hydro pod well.
Good luck let us know how it all goes.

--------------------
er

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
Re: Is it possible to cultivate oyster mushrooms using cakes? [Re: Wheedhead!] * 1
    #1346904 - 03/02/03 12:45 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

see my post in the thread: "Growing Criminis on BRF"
I posted some pics of oysters on pf cake.

InvisibleWheedhead!
Test subject #1

Loc: Area 51
    #1347762 - 03/02/03 10:37 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks, ill give at i shot, and post pictures when or if i get any results.

--------------------
I just  :heart: The Shroomery

Monkeys might fly out of my butt

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. "
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1347874 - 03/03/03 12:47 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Wheedhead; For growing oysters you would be cutting your output significantly by just sticking with the small PF substrate blocks. Oysters and most of their allies are so vigorous on selective substrates it is easier to get a bulk block colonized than the effort it takes to colonize the original PF cakes. Straw is a good example, but can be hard to come by in some areas. Certain pet litters are a good alternative; I have these pellets that are made out of wood fiber. All it takes is a little simmer to get the water absorbed, then perhaps a little peroxide after cooling. This 'bulk substrate' doesn't even contaminate when left out in the open for a couple weeks, and the oysters love it. Many other good subs exist, and once you have a colonized PF cake or three it is simple to get the bigger masses inoculated. Even a clean bucket will work for a colonization container. The other good news is that the fruiting parameters for oysters and their cousins is broader than cubes, meaning that the 'bulk/neglect' teks seen around here will work better for these guys.
So I'd recommend trying a couple PF cakes as planned, but also try spreading a few onto bigger substrate masses. . .you won't be disappointed!

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1349050 - 03/04/03 05:51 AM (21 years, 30 days ago)

if you have a pressure cooker - i believe somewhere (maybe mycotek's site) there is a recipe for straw cakes, those would flush well with oysters i would imagine - or if you need a recipe offhand - I would try soaking some straw for 24 hours (cut in small pieces) then making a normal pf cake 2c verm, 1c brf, 1c water adding a lot of straw to the mixture, and packing jars , and sterilize - inoculate as normal (syringe).

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinecraiger62
beginner
Male

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Is it possible to cultivate oyster mushrooms using cakes? [Re: G a n j a] * 1
    #19423763 - 01/15/14 04:52 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I've had good results with phoenix oysters on brf cakes.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is it possible to cultivate oyster mushrooms using cakes? [Re: craiger62] * 1
    #19426694 - 01/16/14 08:25 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

craiger62 said:
I've had good results with phoenix oysters on brf cakes.

:wink:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlinetiltajoel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: New York, NY; Seattle, WA Flag
    #19892133 - 04/24/14 08:40 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Indeed it is possible:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate