Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBizzle123
Trying to bepatient

Removing shroomy from cake with a knife?
    #1940997 - 09/22/03 04:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

My friend has some B+ PF Tek cakes going and sadly everyone picked so far is really small (< 3 inches). He's hoping to fix this by dunking post birth and after each flush. He's also going to setup an airstone in a bottle with a pump setup to increase RH.

Anyways, sometimes one of them is ready to be picked but it is so close to other just developing ones that picking the mature one rips up these other ones. Can he cut off the mature one with an exacto?

What he's worried about is that in cutting it some of the stem of the mature one might get left behind...will this be taken over by the neighbors or start rotting and bring in contams?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Removing shroomy from cake with a knife? [Re: Bizzle123]
    #1941019 - 09/22/03 04:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Seems like your friend is a little preoccupied with the concept of size. Paging Dr. Freud. Joking aside, if there aren't any contams in the chamber, the cut ones shouldn't rot anyways. Exacto's work just as well as any other sharp implement. Don't worry about it. Harvesting is easy sailing IMO. Enjoy it!

'Shroom on.

OfflineBizzle123
Trying to bepatient

Re: Removing shroomy from cake with a knife? [Re: ]
    #1941036 - 09/22/03 04:11 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What I mean about the rotting is that if you say had a mature shroom on a cake and just cut off the cap and the top half of the stem the rest of the stem would probably start rotting.

But if it's next to developing ones maybe those guys would take over the leftover stem portion.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Removing shroomy from cake with a knife? [Re: Bizzle123]
    #1941121 - 09/22/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The best way to harvest a mushroom is by twisting and pulling it off the cake or casing. If you use a knife to cut it off, you will end up leaving a piece behind that will eventually rot and contaminate your cake or casing and prevent future flushes.

If your target mushroom is close to an immature one, just do your best to carefully twist off the big one without disturbing the small one. In any case, it's better to harvest both the mature one and the immature one rather than leave a piece of mushroom behind to rot.

Once you've harvested a mushroom from a casing, patch it with fresh casing material. On cakes, just make sure there's nothing left behind to rot.

Before setting the mushroom out to dry, brush away any verm or casing material clinging to the mushroom. It's much easier to clean when the mushroom is freshly harvested than when it's dried.

Good luck!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineBizzle123
Trying to bepatient

Re: Removing shroomy from cake with a knife? [Re: Diploid]
    #1941144 - 09/22/03 04:41 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. Unfortanatly this is what I had assumed.

However, it is my understanding that yield has more to do with water content that the total number of harvested shrooms. So being forced to pick an immature one is not the end of the world.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation