Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
Mushrooms and Nitrogen
    #19402796 - 01/11/14 08:45 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I'm new here but I've made an account to ask some questions.

Does anyone know for certain the effects of nitrogen with mushrooms?
I can find virtually no info on it anywhere.

The reason I ask is that my dad worked several years in a mushroom farm, and told me that during lightening storms the mushrooms would grow 2-3x faster and he assumed it was due to the Nitrogen released by lightening. He's well educated and isn't the type to pointlessly say things so I've been wondering what would happen if you introduced Nitrogen gas into a chamber like mine that is air tight with a positive pressure and exhaust.

Has anyone ever heard/read similar claims or tested this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: AllegedlyJett]
    #19402902 - 01/11/14 09:23 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

i think you mean NOx

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: drake89]
    #19403045 - 01/11/14 10:13 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I have a mushroom farm and haven't noticed any increased growth at all during or after thunderstorms.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #19403118 - 01/11/14 10:30 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Some mushrooms species do seem to fruit better in certain weather, an old oyster mushroom farmer told me about her oysters growing better on cool overcast days yet she had a fully climate controlled fruiting room, one theory is that the mushrooms are responding to the outside environment based on barometic pressure or perhaps vapour pressure deficit.

Termitomyces mushrooms (symbiotic with termites) generally fruit after heavy thunderstorms again some people think it is due to the lightning action and the release of nitrogen etc.  other people have a theory that the termites close up the nest for waterproofing during storms, this leads to increased CO2 which acts as a pinning trigger.  again the effect of air pressure is also thought to do something.

so yes I believe your father has something, what species was he growing?  I would be really interested to see the effects - i do believe the type of nitrogen will be really important as well, please do try it out and let us know the results.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

InvisibleWillSolvem
Odd-Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chapter 26 Flag
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: solumvita]
    #19405564 - 01/11/14 08:02 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I have noticed an association with weather as well. Glad to know I'm not alone. I assumed the pressure difference had an effect on cell movement. I know humans react to weather change (aching joints being one example) so why wouldn't other organisms as well especially something so sensitive like fungi(?)

--------------------

AMU Q&A Thread because questions deserve answers.

OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: WillSolvem]
    #19406687 - 01/12/14 02:34 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

He worked in Manitoba in an area that gets SERIOUS lightening. Like damn near constant when it does come. I'm not certain of the strain he was growing but I'll try to find out. I've been trying to research on this site and other places what exactly mushrooms like, I figure there must be key things for them similar to how plants go nuts for CO2, however not much seems to be known in that area. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I'm currently growing Treasure Coast and I think they've just begun pinning, if I were to test introducing a form of nitrogen, what form, and how would you guys recommend I go about doing this? I'm not nearly as experienced or knowledgeable as a lot of you but I'm trying to learn, so thank you.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19406998 - 01/12/14 05:45 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Just give them air.  It's around 80% nitrogen.

I haven't seen any increase or decrease in production from lightening, rain, snowstorms, or radical changes in barometric pressure.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
    #19407206 - 01/12/14 07:29 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know all the jargon yet but I believe the method of growing is a Tek. I don't know the name of my Tek, but I have 3 holes in a bin, two up high, one down low. One of the upper holes (on top of the sealed lid of the bin) has a hose to a reptile cool/fine fog machine, and on the other side of the bin (also on top) is an exhaust. The third hole is attached to an air pump and is on the side of the bin below where the fog comes in; the fog comes in the top and shoots in a jet straight down where it meets the pumping air and is pushed directly at the substrate, through the bin, and up to the exhaust on the other side. The holes all have barbed plastic fixings sealed into the holes with silicone, the lid is sealed on with silicone as-well. The rye berry substrate sits atop a small reptile metal platform with a layer of perlite below it. Below the bin is a heating pad that I turn on whenever I can (it auto shuts off). I keep the air pump running 24/7 and the fog machine is plugged into a timer that comes on for 30 minutes about 5 times a day. The needle in my humidity meter stopped moving early on and does not work, but I know it has to be humid as all hell in there because I can barely even seen in through the bin due to water droplets on the walls, or the fog itself when the machine is on.

I never used jars or anything, I just dumped the substrate on the platform (2 lbs) flattened the top, and dripped spores in 3 places.

So far so good. I had one contam where some of the substrate fell down onto the the perlite, a large ball of cobweb. I cleaned my hand very well, reached in, scooped it and its surroundings out, and sprayed the spot with very salty water. But now I'm very paranoid it will show up again, and as mentioned it's very hard to see inside the case.

The mycelium are growing in 3 patches and are almost reaching eachother. The centers of the places I dripped the spores are growing white solid lumps that extend upward, I assume this to be the pinning. How long should it be until they become mushrooms?

Sorry for how long this bit is or if I explained poorly. I just wanted to put it on the table so people can tell me what I should be doing or if I'm doing it right.

OfflineDark76

#19417933 - 01/14/14 03:39 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Mushrooms and Lightning study at phys.org

Quote:

The experiments showed mushrooms react best when exposed to a ten-millionth of a second burst of electricity at 50-100,000 volts. Under the best conditions the nameko yield was 80% greater than the untreated control crop, while the shiitake crop yield doubled. Takaki said the mushrooms initially decrease the enzyme and protein secretions from the hyphae (tiny filaments that spread under the surface, acting like roots and giving rise to the fruiting bodies such as mushrooms), but then suddenly increase production.

The reason for the reaction is unknown and the subject of further investigations. One of the researchers, Yuichi Sakamoto of the Iwate Biotechnology Research Center, said it is possible the reaction is a response to danger, and the mushrooms react by giving themselves a reproductive boost and increase the number of fruiting bodies so their chance of survival is maximized.

So lightning strikes influencing some species of mushrooms is being studied, but as of 2010, no causal factors were identified.

EDIT: Also note that only a few species were studied not all species reacted the same:

Quote:

The best improvements were found in the popular nameko and shiitake mushrooms.

Edited by Dark76 (01/14/14 03:42 PM)

Offlinesupernewfie
some fella
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #19428884 - 01/16/14 04:01 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleWillSolvem
Odd-Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: supernewfie]
    #19429118 - 01/16/14 04:46 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Nice!

--------------------

OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
    #19432110 - 01/17/14 07:22 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Shiitake doubled. Sounds like my dad was right. Definitely worth looking into when I have the means.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Loc: sub-surface unseen
Trusted Cultivator
    #19438277 - 01/18/14 03:00 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

just tie a kite to the stem of one of ur mushrooms in a thunderstorm!

KITE TEK!

--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms and Nitrogen [Re: blindingleaf]
    #19440958 - 01/19/14 02:43 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

they'd make you trip like  :rocketcrotch:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19441255 - 01/19/14 05:51 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AllegedlyJett said:
Shiitake doubled. Sounds like my dad was right. Definitely worth looking into when I have the means.

No. 

Not only that, it wasn't from being near lightening strikes.  They zapped it directly with a pulse generator.

To date, nobody I'm aware of has duplicated those results.  I tried various voltages and durations up to 50kv with no increased results on my Shiitake at all.  There's several threads from a few years ago on this.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
    #19441339 - 01/19/14 06:45 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I always feel like I hit the jackpot when I get RR on a thread. Also thanks :laugh:. Are you the gentleman with glasses in the Lets Grow Mushrooms videos? Just wondering is all.

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19441365 - 01/19/14 07:00 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

in the first part he has no glasses, that is (user/poster) RoadKill.  i can't remember is he wears glasses in the agar/sectoring part though

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

InvisibleWillSolvem
Odd-Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19441372 - 01/19/14 07:02 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I miss roadkill on Shroomery :frown:

--------------------

Invisibleblindingleaf
blue collar underworld
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19441381 - 01/19/14 07:06 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

this will sound mean/bad but i thought for like 2 years (my non posting/lurking stage) that was fahtster, haha

--------------------
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

OfflineAllegedlyJett
Stranger
    #19441410 - 01/19/14 07:19 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I had to go watch all the video because I'm terrible at growing mushrooms and should feel bad.  :thisisterrible:

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #19441905 - 01/19/14 10:28 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

AllegedlyJett said:

No. 

Not only that, it wasn't from being near lightening strikes.  They zapped it directly with a pulse generator.

To date, nobody I'm aware of has duplicated those results.  I tried various voltages and durations up to 50kv with no increased results on my Shiitake at all.  There's several threads from a few years ago on this.
RR

Probably more likely to initiate a large fruiting when a branch colonized with shiitake mycelium is struck and slams to the ground initiating a response and letting it fruit in a more hospitable place in the grass.

Lipa.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom