Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

thoughts on dimensions
    #1939837 - 09/22/03 06:00 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

*alone and blasted... just need to ramble*
the fourth dimension is space/time. that said, basically, to my understanding, a dimension is just the ability to move at an angle to previous dimensions. as in: the first dimension is the ability to move in a straight line. the second dimension is the ability to move at an angle to the first dimension (like an infinite sheet of paper). the third dimension is the ability to move at an angle to the fist two dimensions (like an infinite box). here is where it becomes more abstract. the forth dimension is the ability to move at an angle to the first 3 dimensions (take that box and move it through space).

so, time is marked as the differnce between moving said box from here there, whatever those places may be. granted the numbers that we place on that are purely human. under that logic, the 5th dimension would be the ability to mave at an angle to the first 4 dimensions (the ability to go from point a to point b without making the journey).

a question would be: how could something move from point a to point b without traveling? the answer is that it isnt restricted to 4 dimensional movement, just like a 3 dimensional figure isnt restricted to 2 dimensions (lengh and width).

my question is to the fact that space and time are somehow tied together. i dont think that they are.if something traveled from point a to point b on a 2 dimensional plane, wouldnt there be a difference in the moments between point a and point b? (i understand the concept of human quantifying of the principle known as time, so get over it for this discusion.) anyways, there has to be some "time" that has passed in that forementioned 2 dimensional voyeage. it is "below" us on the dimensional ladder. we are tied to that rule. it is only 5th dimensional objects that have the benefit of non 4 dimensional travel, in relation to us.

so, it is my arguement that "space" alone is the forth dimension. Time is a byproduct of linear movement that is tied not to the 4th dimension, but to the first four dimensions. i also think that it is optional for higher dimensions. not a rule. example: a 3 dimensional object, while existing in 3 dimensions, may elect to move in one way(dimension). therefore, a fifth dimensional object, while still existing in 5 dimensions may elect to move in just one dimension.

i could go on all night. i'd like to hear what you guys think.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: thoughts on dimensions [Re: automan]
    #1939884 - 09/22/03 06:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hey wrong forum..stuff like this goes in S&P  :grin:

Anyways.. I've talked this subject to death and I can't think straight right now anyway. It seems to me you're thinking of the dimensions from a linear/scientific viewpoint, which IMHO is not very complete/still theory

Time and space exist simultaneously in all dimensions. They manifest differently.

May I offer a different perspective? 

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: thoughts on dimensions [Re: Shroomism]
    #1939898 - 09/22/03 07:05 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

could someone move this to the correct forum. i didnt realize that i misplaced it

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1939900 - 09/22/03 07:06 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I dont think it really matters... but you'll most likely get more responses in S&P. I don't have the power to move it anyway...have to wait for a pub mod

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: thoughts on dimensions [Re: Shroomism]
    #1939906 - 09/22/03 07:08 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

do you think he would mind if i reposted it?

--------------------

Offlinestudent
Stranger

#1957489 - 09/27/03 05:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to learn more about dimensions, some good books to check out are HyperSpace by Michio Kaku and Flat Land by Edwin A. Abbott. They are real easy to read if thats what you like. Or you can explore the entire universe from the confines of your own mind, given the right ingredients. I've seen the infinite possibilities of space and time, so I feel that I have to give you some advice on the matter:
Exploring the inner workings of the universe is like exploring the inner workings of your mind, you never know what you will find.
Every time is a different trip and sometimes the universe ends up being a pretty fucking scary place.
Everything you need to know is already there you just need let it find you.
Getting lost in other dimensions is a very common occurence, but you won't be stuck in the wrong dimensions forever, time dialation only lasts as long as pupil dialation.
To really understand dimensionality you need both individual exploration and library resources. But I doubt the "real" experts would condone exploration and time travel as a sound scientific approach to physical knowledge.

Or you were just blasted and needed to babble.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub