Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineoOToadstoolOo
some advice please
    #1939333 - 09/22/03 01:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

now I know that the information I am seeking can be easily obtained by doing a proper search but I decided to post because I am looking for opinions.

Substrate:I have read a little about wild bird feed, would I just substitute this where I would regularly use BRF? Is this a good method of preparing substarte?

For a fruiting chamber:I can use a glass aquarium right? If so would it be better to use this or just find a platic container due to ease of use? Any adaptations that will be useful to me I can apply to the PF tek?

Humidification:I am thinking of buying an ultra-sonic humidifier..is this recommended and do I need to use a drip shield(It says optional in the tek)? Is this an easy thing to use?

I am a complete newbie and hate to bother U guys and make U answer things that U are constantly asked about, but I am looking for opinions and a little expertise to guide me into making decisions I will be happy with.Thanx

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: some advice please [Re: oOToadstoolOo]
    #1939631 - 09/22/03 03:30 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

1. wild bird feed cannot be substituted for brf in the pf tek. If you gring it into a flour it can work this way, but most people don't do it this way. You will definitely need a pressure cooker for bird seed and most people put it in quart jars with either polyfill or tyvek filters for gas exchange. Bird seed is a bulk substrate and it is a little more advanced. You should probably get a handle on the pf tek first. Here is a link to more info.

http://www.shroomery.com/index/par/3264

2. An aquarium will work fine. I prefer rubbermaids though 'cause they're cheap, lightweight, easy to clean, easier to control where the light is coming it (so your shrooms grow straight up), and its can sometimes be easier to automate since you can just punch holes in them for tubing. But aquariums are cool too.

3. Don't get an ultrasonic just yet. Wet perlite or geolite usually provides plenty of humidity, and if you want to automate your set up so that you dan't have to fan, you can easily add a cool mist humidifier or a fish tank pump and a few air stones. Ultrasonics put out A LOT of humidity, so they need to be put on a timer, and they provide little air exchange. An ultrasonic setup can get VERY expensive and is only used for larger, more advanced setups.

Do a search for "cool mist" or "poor man's pod" if you are interested in automation.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineoOToadstoolOo
Re: some advice please [Re: Demiurge]
    #1942882 - 09/23/03 12:45 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanx a lot Demiurge, I will definately look into the birdseed techniques a little more later but for now I will just use the BRF and see what I can do. I have purchased a pressure cooker so that's all taken care of but as far as the ultra-sonic humidifier I can get one for 39.99 on sale from 89.99(2.5 gallons or a 1.2 gallon) or a cool mist humidifier for the same price so the price really isn't a problem.

Is the set-up described in the PF tek about this kind of humidifier as complicated as it seems? I am thinking of maybe picking one up B4 they go off clearance at my store.

has anyone used one of these that can explain the technique of set-up and it's simplicity of use?

--------------------

Edited by oOToadstoolOo (09/23/03 12:47 AM)

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: some advice please [Re: oOToadstoolOo]
    #1942929 - 09/23/03 01:01 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If I remember right, the automated set up in the pf tek has been improved a lot since it was written. Do a search for "poor mans pod". Or just PM magash and ask him for the link. It's basically just a fish tank air pump that bubbles air through some air stones burried under perlite/geolite and water in the bottom of the terrarium. This may sound a bit complicated, but they are really easy and cheap to build. And they work great!

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation