Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found
    #1938838 - 09/21/03 08:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I found a large cluster of G. Spectabilis today,,, Or possibly G. junonius??? "after further review I feel they are G. Junonius".. Found in southern New England on the side of the road, growing on old growth sub terrestrial root system... As you can see they are very immature.. The pics are terrible.. I tried all different angles and amounts of artificial light,, but none came out good..The really young ones still have the partial veil attached and covering the gills,, I would have let them go a few more days.. but the spot they were in is extreamly close to the road and alot of people walk in the area,, so I was afraid they would be destroyed. I saw them 2 days ago, "they were all veiled, I didn't have my camera with me", so I let them go another 2 days..

I had a gymnopilus spectabilis find last sunday. My basement is full of that sweet smell again.. Just wish they tasted sweet as well. Here are the keys I used to ID them:

-spore print, "undeniably, orange", will post pic when done.
-cap conic, hemispherical dry smooth cool to touch bright orangish yellow.
-Margin slightly inrolled , darkening rusty brown with age.
-lamellae removeable from pilleus,(takes work,, not easy),pilleus flesh is spongy, not bruising easily but when bruised is dark orangeish grey.
-Gills crowded attached, adnate,(definatly not decurrent),yellow orange tint, bruising a rust brown
-Partial veil,(still attached)
-stipe flesh yellow orange, thick at top, tapering in center then enlarges toward cesposite grouping.
-Stipe flesh thick, slightly spongy,(when you push, it bounces back).
-stipe flesh not bruising easily, when bruised takes on an orangish to rusty grey hue. also stringy when pulled apart, and ever so slightly hollow in the middle,"not even hollow just less dense".
-Smell, kinda sweet but still mushroomy.
-taste bitter, "now of course I only sampled a small bit and spit it out entirely.

web based reference photos: http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/T1894.HTM

web based reference keys: http://www.toyen.uio.no/botanisk/bot-mus/sopp/fakta/fakt-15.htm#Engl

Trying to add pictures,,, Sorry

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (09/22/03 04:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: nofind_um]
    #1939075 - 09/21/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've been reading not alot of info,,, are these classified as hallucinogenic fungi... It seem as though they are,,, ???????

--------------------

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #1939084 - 09/21/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Great specimens!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: Effed]
    #1939102 - 09/21/03 10:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

they [G. spectabilis] have been found to contain the psilocybian compounds [i'm not sure wich specificaly] in at least one assay and have been reported to be [and are] often active.

it is my understanding thatG. junonius is a synomym for G. spectabilis.

i would venture to say that the collection pictured is a gymnopilus and is likely G. spectabilis. i know i don't have to tell you but get a second before you consider consumption.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1939116 - 09/21/03 10:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice Gymnopilus find.
-Myself, i have found probably 10 different Gymnopilus species here in Florida, and, to tell you the truth i never landed on a 100% correct identification of anything of those Gymns. Mostly due to the fact i don?t have a microscope and even if i did i still wouldn?t know how to make sense of what i would be seeing under the scope.

You do have a Gymnopilus mushroom, for a fact.

The next step in keying it towards an exact species is first from the observance of the veil, your specimens do in fact form a membranous to densely fibrillose, persistant veil.. and they do.
-So we are still in the genus of Gymnopilus, but with the persistant veil, we can narrow it down one more degree, into the subgenus of Annulati.. (Mr Mushrooms correct me if i am jumping the gun so far).

The most prominant species in this grouping of Gymns with the described type of veil, is Gymnopilus spectabilis, but now we will look into this one for you and further confuse the heck out of me and the rest of you :smile:

Now, here are a few other Gymno?s that are similar to G. spectabilis, and the differences are not great at all;
-G. luteus
-G. junonius
-G. ventricosus (probably not yours pictured)
-Agaricus cerasinus (Peck) ?
-G. spectabilis pampeanus
-G. magnus..

-And then of course there is the mushroom Gymnopilus subspectabilis.

Hehehe, i swear everytime i see another Gymnopilus mushroom it just confuses me more and more. I?m almost starting to get the hang of it, but this is something that need be identified under a microscope observing gill structure and spores.

For some reason this book (Gymnopilus Mushrooms of North America - but then again you are in Europe) doesnt have a write-up for G. junonius, and the other books do not go so far into depth leading people to believe that the Gymnopilus family of mushrooms is easier to identify macroscopically than they really are.

Also, most active Gymno species which stain blue, will not do so until overnight, or many hours after picking them.

Here i will try to find an example of 3 shrooms from earlier this year;
-All of my records of this mushroom are lost, so i only have the pictures left and hm, i think this was... well i forgot but i had narrowed this one down and now all of the records and spores and specimens are lost and i need to find new ones next year.;

Here is one that i did not suspect to become blue, and it did;

So and then you see here in this picture that yes it did;

-The other two caps turned to moosh while spore printing but saved the three stems and one of the caps. The samples and spore prints are unfortunately gone.

All of that research is gone now and waits for me again next year.
-Still have a good deal of the pictures to still research though.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234 

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1939186 - 09/21/03 10:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thank you for that info GG, it is nice to have someone around with so much experience with gyms.
i looked, but was unable to locate that title. the only book about Gyms i found was North American Species of Gymnopilus (Mycologia Memoir Series: No 3). can you, or anyone, recomend tis book?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: canid]
    #1939255 - 09/21/03 11:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

North American Species of Gymnopilus (Mycologia Memoir Series: No 3).
-That is exactly the one.

It is dated from 1969, it seems very accurate.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1939327 - 09/21/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i'll see if i can get ahold of a copy.

--------------------

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#1939878 - 09/22/03 04:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks everyone,, lot's of good info there,, sorry for the confusion I am in North America,,, southern New England,,, I used a European Link,, cause it had decent keys,, for the junonius.. Once again thanks,, I should get that book also...

--------------------

Anonymous

#1940621 - 09/22/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: ]
    #1940655 - 09/22/03 12:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well I will change my post to reference G. Spectabilis,, I didn't realise that the genus was so complex and as yet unstudied. I just thought they differed way too much from the G. spectabilis I found last week to be the same exact species! Thanks for all the great info on Gymnopilus "...". ggreatone and mr. mushrooms..

--------------------

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #1940799 - 09/22/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

so, do you know the potency? i tried doing a search for it, as to not make you guys angry, but I couldn't find it...

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: Rebirtha]
    #1942577 - 09/22/03 09:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

he who asks potency shall be put to death

--------------------
stay off my land

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Large grouping of immature G.Spectabilis/G.Junonius found [Re: cardboard]
    #1942635 - 09/22/03 09:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Evan: G. spectabilis description from MJ's site. this is as specific as you are going to get. you need to give an actual effort when doing a search before you ask questions who's answers are all over the net.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1943926 - 09/23/03 10:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies